11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Josh Badgley
Joined 4233 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 1 of 11
16 October 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
I have had this...burning...interest in the Scandinavian languages/cultures smoldering in
the back of my mind for a while now. Even though I resume college studies in January, I
finally couldn't take any more and decided to start my Scandinavian adventure with
Norwegian. So, yesterday I bought Teach Yourself Norwegian. I studied an hour
yesterday and so far I've gotten in an hour today...and it's a great course. I'm really
enjoying it, and I'm surprised at how much Norwegian I'm understanding. So I decided
that, in order to help keep myself motivated, I'm going to keep a journal. After I
finish today's study session, I'll add more details about where I'm at and what I've
learned.

Morna!
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 2 of 11
16 October 2012 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Hi Josh,

Always good to hear of another learner of a Scandinavian language.

I also have that book, and thought it was a good course.

Purely because I didn't put enough effort into it, I didn't get all that far with the language, but that was my own fault.

I've slipped into the Danish lane now, and am working harder than I did with Norwegian, so it's going better. One day I hope to return to Norwegian though, although I don't expect it will be for several years.

It's interesting to see the similarities, and differences between the two, whenever someone writes here in Norwegian.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 3 of 11
16 October 2012 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Congrats on going for Norwegian. You'll have a lot of fun along the way.

If I can offer a couple suggestions, once you complete TY Norwegian, look for a course
called "På Vei". It's a course aimed at immigrants to Norway, entirely in Norwegian.
It'll take you deeper into the language. Follow that by "Stein på stein", then "Her på
Berget" if you can find it (I know the first two courses are easily obtainable on the
internet.)

You might also want to start watching Norwegian TV. NRK
keeps a lot of their programming online, so you'll have hours and hours of good
material to watch.

You might also want to take a look at Klar tale.
They have easily digestible daily news written in simple, accessible language.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 16 October 2012 at 9:33pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4977 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 4 of 11
16 October 2012 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your choice! I have been interested in Norwegian for several years but only this year I could commit myself to a daily study. Colloquial Norwegian was my first book but I find it too strict on tourist info. Teach Yourself Norwegian seems a bit better and I may try it again once I'm done with Aassimil, as a reinforcement. I still can't understand much Norwegian because my native language is a Romance not a Germanic one, so I don't know this common, daily vocabulary enough even in English in a way that I could benefit from the similarity. Still, that's exactly what I want to learn the most, so that I become able to read sagas, fairy tales and all that much about the Norwegian culture.

Lyyke til!

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4489 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 5 of 11
16 October 2012 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
If I can offer a couple suggestions

Oh yes, PLEASE do. Thanks a lot already for those suggestions. I have seen På vei and Stein på stein in my bookshop, but there are always so many textbooks that I didn't try to analyse them. Have you used Assimil by any chance? Could you compare it with those?

And the news and TV links are just what I need. I had started looking for online newspapers, and it seems to be exactly what I need! Thanks again, and if you have more suggestions, please send (here, or by pm if more appropriate)!

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 6 of 11
16 October 2012 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
...Have you used Assimil by any chance? Could you compare it with
those?

I've not tried Assimil (other than brief looks at some of their courses), but that's
because the Norwegian course isn't available with an English base, only French. Assimil
get pretty high marks from most people here on HTLAL, so since your native language is
French, I don't see why you couldn't give it a try.

R.
==

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4489 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 7 of 11
16 October 2012 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm using it already (and have a log about it) and simply was simply wondering what book it would compare with in terms of level reached. I guess I'll have to look at it myself then!

Oh, and why do I watch : http://tv.nrk.no/serie/kosinus ? A kind of Norwegian Teletubbies? At least I can understand what's going on...

Josh Badgley
Joined 4233 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 8 of 11
17 October 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
So I got in total about an hour and a half today, not too shabby. And I'm pretty much
done with Unit 1. So far I've about 60 vocabulary words, greetings, the difference
between common gender and neuter nouns, the present tense and infinitive of verbs, and
how to construct basic sentences. So now I can make cliched beginner sentences like:

Jeg heter Josh. Jeg bor i Amerika. Jeg er ikke norsk, men jeg lære norsk. Jeg vil
gjerne reise til Norge. Jeg har bil. Jeg er student.

I mean, for two days, that isn't too bad. Excited to see what Unit 2 is all about
tomorrow.

Mange takk to everyone for the encouraging words and great links. I'm so glad
that NRK makes at least some of their material available outside of Norway.

Morna!

Edited by Josh Badgley on 17 October 2012 at 2:08am

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version