14 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 14
18 October 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
I'd say avoid Portuguese for now. Practically guaranteed to be a bad experience as of now, but perhaps one day you'll be fascinated enough that you won't care about these things:)
1 person has voted this message useful

chrys
Canada
Joined 4260 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English

Message 10 of 14
19 October 2012 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
I agree. Easy pronouinciation should not be the only reason to learn a language. If I try hard, I guess, I can learn to pronounce words that have slighty different sounds from my native language. Maybe I should look into what language will be most *useful*? And what'd be most *fun*?

Useful:
1. French-> because it's official language in Canada; can help with jobs in French-dominnant province (Quebec), government etc.

2. German -> because I'd love to work in Germany for couple of years!

Fun
1. Spanish -> It's probably a lot of fun (I could go to Mexico to learn it, and even learn Salsa-dancing side by side, that'd be a lot of fun). But Spanish is probably not very useful for my profession. I mean, Spain's economy is not as great as Germany's economy. Germany probably has better engineering jobs. South American countries that speak Spanish also don't have very great economies.

That's it. It'd be nice if I could combine a language that was very useful. For eg: if there was an immersion school that taught German and also some social activity like salsa dancing or playing keyboard, piano. Then it'd become a lot of fun!

Actually, my wife loves to dance. So, it'd be great if I could go to a language school where I can learn language and wife could learn language + dance. This way, if both of us learn the same language, we'd be able to practice more. But she won't go to a language school with me unless it was fun. So, I guess I might have to learn Spanish. It's not very useful for my profession (Information Technology Management) but it's probably more fun. So, higher chances of learning, practicing and retaining it.

Edited by chrys on 19 October 2012 at 10:10pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 11 of 14
19 October 2012 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
chrys wrote:
... So, I guess I might have to learn Spanish. It's not very useful for my
profession (Information Technology Management) but it's probably more fun. So, higher
chances of learning, practicing and retaining it.

You'd be surprised. Multinational tech firms have big presences in Latin American
countries. The telecom industry is very well represented in Spain.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 19 October 2012 at 10:39pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 14
20 October 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
chrys wrote:
2. German -> because I'd love to work in Germany for couple of years!
Then you're basically choosing what language to do NOW. if you really want to work in Germany, sooner or later you'll need to learn it.

Great that you now believe more in yourself (your abilities for pronunciation), why not believe even more and realize that you don't need an immersion school to succeed? Have you seen this thread? I'll quote the beginning:

I learned the hard way that willpower is a very limited resource. If I rely on nothing but raw willpower, I can devote maybe 20 hours to studying a language, to exercise, or to any other activity. Sometimes, I'm sad to say, it's more like 2 hours.

See, you're not a bad learner just because you didn't succeed the first time you tried. I also gave up early the first time I tried to learn Finnish.

Edited by Serpent on 20 October 2012 at 1:02pm

chrys
Canada
Joined 4260 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English

Message 13 of 14
21 October 2012 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Thanks!

Has anyone seen
    http://tinyurl.com/how2lang1

How to learn any language in 3 months ? It's by Tim Ferriss. The guy who wrote 4 hour
work week.

Also, he wrote a series of blog posts about this. Eg:
    http://tinyurl.com/langblog1

He doesn't claim that you'd become a master in the language, but you'll accomplish
conversational fluency.

EDIT: I used TinyURL to shorten the URL's because they were not appearing properly in
the post. The links are from FourHourWorkWeek.com site.

Edited by chrys on 21 October 2012 at 5:58pm

FM_Moltke
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6430 days ago

54 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, German, French
Studies: Polish, Latin

Message 14 of 14
30 October 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
If you are truly Canadian, then I would advise you to dust off your schoolbooks and revise your French to an acceptable level before beginning a third language. Although I am in the same position, and speak better German and French, I regret not having used the idler days more fruitfully when French was figuratively being shoved down our throats in school.

Other foreign languages are usually resorted to because they offer a dose of exoticism, but the appeal of the exotic is a superficial phenomenon, and will abandon you as soon as the constraints of energy and will gather mobilise against you. If you can't learn the familiar, might as well admit that this is not your niche.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version