Message 105 of 151
13 May 2014 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Week 19 Review (May 5th - 11th)

German: 12 hours, 15 minutes
Korean: 7 hours
Kanji: 2 hours

Week 19 Total: 21 hours, 15 minutes

Year to Date: 275 hours, 30 minutes

Had a bad migraine most of the week. Most of my German and Korean time were spent doing extensive listening and native listening. So much so, that my German extensive listening playlist is down to just over an hour. It was near 2, but after a track has been listened to 10 times, I listen to it once more and if I still have trouble with it, I give it another round of intensive listening and re-add it to my extensive listening list.
1 person has voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 106 of 151
19 May 2014 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Week 20 Review (May 12th - 18th)

German: 6 hours, 30 minutes
Korean: 3 hours, 45 minutes
Kanji: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Week 20 Total: 11 hours, 45 minutes

Year To Date: 287 hours, 15 minutes

Had a bit of burn out this week, plus I got caught up watching a new (new to me) Korean Variety show called "The Human Condition" which just started its 2nd season. 1st season was several male comedians being challenged to go a week without something or challenged to do something. Living without electricity, living without money, reading at least 3 hours a day, etc. The second season is with female comedians and actresses. They did a few female comedians specials in season one. They were living without their cell phone + limiting their amount of trash and another time living without chemical products.

Anyway, I'm through most of the episodes on KBS World TV so, I guess I'll be getting back to my usual schedule in a day or two when I'm completely caught up.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 107 of 151
25 May 2014 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
I think I need to do my own "The Human Condition" challenge. No Korean variety shows for a week. I didn't get much done this week. Aside from watching many more episodes of The Human Condition, I watched the first three episodes of Roommates (basically The Real World celebrity edition) and a few others. Tried watching The King of Food but found it boring. Didn't think much of Roommates either.

I'll be lucky to hit 10 hours this week. 3 during the week, 3 today, and we'll see how tomorrow goes.

One little update with SRS. I've been doing just simple recognition cards in Anki as well as putting the sentences in LWT as well to drill individual words and phrases. I've been doing this for several weeks and haven't gotten too bored with it yet.

As for doing translations and drills, I'll leave that for when I do workbooks, FSI, Assimil, etc. I don't have it in me to do active drilling every single day, so I'll just do those sorts of activities out of books on the days I feel like it.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 108 of 151
26 May 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Week 21 Review (May 19 - 25)

German: 4 hours, 15 minutes
Korean: 2 hours, 45 minutes
Kanji: 1 hour

Week 21 Total: 8 hours

Year To Date: 295 hours, 15 minutes

sabotai
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 109 of 151
02 June 2014 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
Week 22 Review (May 26 - Jun 1)

German: 6 hours, 45 minutes
Korean: 4 hours, 15 minutes
Kanji: 1 hour, 45 minutes
French: 45 minutes

Week 22 Total: 13 hours, 30 minutes

Year To Date: 308 hours, 45 minutes

Saturday night, after 2 hours of German, I felt like doing more language study, but I was a bit tired of German and Korean in that moment. So, I loaded up my French playlist and did some French. So I guess I'm back on French again.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 110 of 151
10 June 2014 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
Week 23 Review (Jun 2 - 8)

German: 6 hours, 15 minutes
Korean: 4 hours, 15 minutes
French: 2 hours, 15 minutes

Week 23 Total: 14 hours, 15 minutes

Year To Date: 323 hours

sabotai
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 111 of 151
16 June 2014 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
Week 24 Review (Jun 9 - 15)

German: 6 hours, 15 minutes
Korean: 5 hours
French: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Russian Script: 30 minutes

Week 24 Total: 15 hours, 45 minutes

Year To Date: 338 hours, 45 minutes

Several months ago I began doing extensive listening with previously "finished" dialogs. While doing my regular listening activity with Assimil, Teach Yourself, etc., it was easy for me to fall into a false sense of where I was in my listening ability.

Intensive Listening - This is what I call the activity where I listen to a dialog three times with the TL transcript, then I slowly read through it making sure I understand everything, then I listen to it again a few more times, then read it slowly again, and finally listening to it again, the last time usually without the transcript. For a 1 minute long dialog, it takes about 15 minutes.

Extensive Listening - This is what I call the activity where I listen to a playlist of dialogs that are "finished" (I've done intensive listening on them a few times) on shuffle without any transcripts. When the dialog reaches 10 plays, I listen to it again and make sure I understand it all. If not, I reset the plays and earmark it to do intensive listening with it again. I also want the playlist to be at least 45 minutes long, so if the playlist is under that length and the dialogs reach 10 plays, I just reset the plays.

For German, it's been fairly easy but with Korean, some of the dialogs I've intensively listened to a bunch of times still give me trouble. When I sit down with the transcript, no problems. Without, I struggle. Before I started doing this extensive listening, I think I overrated my listening ability. But I've already seen the benefit. While listening to native material like YouTube videos, I'm picking up much more than I did before in both German and Korean (just that "much more" in Korean is "more than 1 word here and there"). So I think it's doing me a lot of good, even if I am still struggling with it in Korean.

Here's a list of other activities I do.

SRS - For German and Korean, I set it to 25 mew sentences a day and I add sentences in batches of 250, adding another batch when I run out. I set it so that new cards show up in a random order. The reason being is that I don't want 20 sentences on the same grammar point clustered around the same day or two. I want them spread out. For French, I set it to 10 new sentences a day.

I also add sentences to Learning With Texts where I drill myself actively. I was doing passive vocab for awhile but went with active drilling a few weeks ago.

One big difference between SRS now and most of the times I tried in the past is that it's far more comfortable sitting on a bed or couch with a laptop doing SRS reps than it is sitting in a chair at a desktop.

Extensive Reading
Intensive Reading
Scriptorium
"Bloodhound" Listening
Language Drills (Practice Makes Perfect, Textbook exercises, FSI, etc.)

I've gone over them before. I do those in 15 minute blocks of time.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 112 of 151
23 June 2014 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
Week 25 Review (Jun 16 - 22)

German: 6 hours, 45 minutes
Korean: 5 hours, 45 minutes
French: 4 hours
Russian Script: 1 hour, 45 minutes

Week 25 total: 20 hours

Total To Date: 358 hours, 45 minutes

If I hit 20 hours again next week, that'll put me at 378 hours and change, which would just be a tad over halfway to 750. When I made my goal for 1000 hours, I knew it was a long shot and, yeah, it seems that it was. In previous years, I've studied languages off and on. I'd study well for a few weeks, then maybe take a few weeks off completely. Sometimes I'd just put in 30 minutes in a day and that would last for weeks, even months at times, before I got motivated again and started studying multiple hours a day again.

Even though I really have no shot at 1000 hours this year (I'd need close to 24 hours of study every week at this point), I think TAC has done me a lot of good. Even though there were weeks where I went as low as 8 or 9 hours studied, and a slew of weeks of studying 12-14 hours, my "reach for the stars" goal at least got me the moon. If I do 750 hours this year, it'll still be a drastic increase in the amount of time I've spent learning languages over previous years.

Looking back at some of my posts from last year, it's funny to see how I had lists of activities with a specific goal for each one, I had a spreadsheet on my computer with a schedule for when I would do each, what resource I would use, etc....no wonder I used to get burned out. It was a part time job just keeping track of everything. I still have a list of activities, but now I just do what I feel like, making sure I touch on reading and listening every day. And it's worked well for me. I feel like my listening in German has increased dramatically. I used to feel like my reading in German was well ahead of my listening, but making sure I get that listening practice every day has really brought my listening on par with my reading. Korean has gotten better as well, but not that much. Slow steady progress in Korean.

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version