learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 137 of 151
10 November 2014 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
sabotai wrote:
What I started doing was chopping up these tracks of sample sentences and including them in Anki decks. On the front, just the audio, and on the back, the text for the sentence and its translation. For French, I've been using the Assimil "Exercises" and the Korean deck is made off TTMIK sentences from the lessons and the audio from Korean Grammar In Use (which has one section of a few sample sentences, and a second called "In Conversation" which has a few 2 line dialogs which I've also been putting into this deck).

Have you checked out my Korean Sentence Deck? It matches very closely to what you are doing - it has sentences from TTMIK and Korean Grammar in Use and audio as well. True, the written sentences appear on the front side but you can easily modify the template to show them on the back side if you prefer that.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 138 of 151
10 November 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
Have you tried looking for the Japanese subtitles here?
http://kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=subtitles/japanese/&so rt=date&order=desc (delete the space
in "&sort=")

No, I didn't find that site. That has more than I'll ever need! Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 139 of 151
10 November 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Have you checked out my Korean Sentence Deck? It matches very closely to what you are doing - it has sentences from TTMIK and Korean Grammar in Use and audio as well. True, the written sentences appear on the front side but you can easily modify the template to show them on the back side if you prefer that.

I remember you writing about it in your log but forgot about it. That was during one of my anti-SRS phases. That's going to save me a ton of time. Thanks!

sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 140 of 151
16 November 2014 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
A week into using subs2srs decks and I'm really liking it so far.

Dragon Zakura deck - This one's been hard. A lot of slurred speech with syllables completely skipped sometimes. One of the characters said どうもありがとうございました and I couldn't understand it because he said it so quickly with many syllables slurred together. Also, the subs used were both user made SRT files, so the timing for some of them have been way off. Sometimes with "Hello" on the English side, and, well, a LOT more on the Japanese (and audio) side.

Rurouni Kenshin deck - This has been much more enjoyable as the pronunciation is more clear. I'm going to put my Dragon Zakura deck to the side for now and just double my efforts in the Kenshin deck, and maybe make another deck from an anime series of movie. Thanks to Ezy's link, I've got several to choose from. Decisions, decisions...

Die Welle - Like the Zakura deck, two user made SRT files so the timing isn't great. But it's better here than in the Zakura deck. My German is a lot better than my Japanese so I haven't had nearly the problem with quick pronunciation and syllable slurring. I'll keep at it with this deck, but I'm also going to make decks out of Lola Rennt and Das Leben Der Anderen.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 141 of 151
17 November 2014 at 9:25am | IP Logged 
Week 46 Review (Nov 10 - 16)

Japanese: 5 hours, 15 minutes
German: 3 hours, 45 minutes
Korean: 1 hour, 30 minutes
French: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Georgian Script: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Week 46 Total: 13 hours, 15 minutes
2014 Year To Date: 627 hours

I decided to drop Georgian script and wunderlusting after Finnish. I'm pretty burned out on the script learning and with subs2srs remotivating me in German, I just don't have time for that bit of wunderlust right now.

No progress report because, like last week, I didn't progress with anything other than subs2srs. But, I spent a good amount of time working on my subs2srs decks, and have made a few more. Much of my weekend went towards building decks for Lola Rennt, Das Leben Der Anderen and, the most time consuming, Princess Mononoke.

Now I have 3 decks for German and 2 for Japanese (3 if you count Dragon Zakura, but I'm retiring that one for now).

Here's how I've been using them. In the options, I set both New Cards per day and Max Reviews per day to 9999 (so that there is no limit). I set the steps to "1 60 1440". Those are the only options I changed. Then, when I go to do some reps in a deck, I check to make sure my Timebox time limit under preferences is set to 15 and then I just do whatever cards come up, not caring if I get through all of my reviews or if I do X number of new cards.

The reason I set the second step to 60 is so that I don't get the new cards twice in the same 15 minute session, but so that it will come up again the next time I do another 15 minute session (well, as long is it's at least an hour later). The routine I've about fallen into (that last few days) is to do a few 15 minute sessions in the afternoon (1 per subs2srs deck) and then do a few later in the evening. This way, the new cards I do in the afternoon will be repeated in the evening, and the new ones I see in the evening will be shown to me again during the next day's afternoon sessions.

However, now that I have 3 German decks, I'll probably change it to 10 minute sessions for them, and leave the Japanese decks at 15.

So far, so good too. I haven't gotten bored or frustrated with doing this yet. The time really does fly by when doing these cards. By my count, 6 of the 13 hours I spent on learning languages was spent on my subs2srs decks, and the reason it wasn't higher was because I've only had 1 German deck until today (Sunday), the last day of the week.

Das Leben Der Anderen gave me 1032 cards. Lola Rennt only 472 (not a ton of dialog in that one). Princess Mononoke gave me 927 cards. Another 2500 cards to get through. And that'll be it for creating decks for a good long while, unless I add French to the mix or strike gold with Korean (considering how many people I've found looking for Korean subs to Korean films and shows and coming up empty...it doesn't look good for Korean). I could try to buy DVDs from Korean that have Korean subs on then, but then I'd have to rely on the OCR capture in Subtitle Edit, and considering how bad it handles English, I can't imagine how jumbled the Korean subs would come out after going through that. It looks like I'll have to try to come up with something else for Korean.

But I have been enjoying the audio sentence decks for Korean and French. Much more enjoyable than just sentences w/o audio.

subs2srs = massive success (so far). Audio sentence decks = success (so far).

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 142 of 151
23 November 2014 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
I need to give subs2srs a shot one of these days. I think it would be particularly useful for
Korean where I'm far enough along that I could easily weed out the obviously wrong
translations but where I need to start actually learning new words again rather than just
consuming media lately (which has dropped due to Japanese lately). I've got a set of Korean
Pixar movies (that I got a while back from YesAsia) which has Korean, English, and several
other subtitle tracks (Thai and Mandarin are frequently included, for example), so that might
be an option. However, I've noticed that the few times I've watched one with Korean
subtitles, the subs didn't quite match up to the audio as the subs were much shorter than
the actual dialog. I guess as long as the subs match between languages that could still
work, though, it just wouldn't help much to pair it with the audio.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 143 of 151
24 November 2014 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
That's the main reason I haven't created any French decks yet. I don't have any French movies on DVD, but French audio is an option for quite a few DVDs I have, but the dubbed audio and the subtitles I find online just don't line up. I use the native language subtitles to help make sense of the machine gun pronunciation I'm hearing in these German and Japanese decks. Without accurate subs, I don't think this would be nearly as effective.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 144 of 151
24 November 2014 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
Week 47 Review (Nov 17 - 23)

Japanese: 5 hours
German: 5 hours, 30 minutes
Korean: 2 hours, 45 minutes
French: 3 hours

Week 47 Total: 16 hours, 15 minutes
2014 Year To Date: 643 hours, 15 minutes

This week I got back on some of my other activities, but not many. Well, 1. I got back to doing some grammar study for Japanese. Other than that, this week was still mostly about subs2srs, as well as ratcheting up doing audio editing for making audio sentence decks.

After a few weeks of experimenting with these few new activities (subs2srs and making audio sentence decks), I am nearly back into my groove. I spent a good amount of time editing audio this weekend, meaning I won't have to do it little by little during the week and can get back to doing other activities like intensive listening and reading.

I did have an issue with my Anki options, though. I had the steps set to "1 60 1440" but my learning cards were piling up. Even though the 3rd step is 1 day, they wouldn't pop, I would just keep doing new cards and the ones that were due just piled up. So, I set it to "1 60" and dropped the 1440 and that seemed to make it work as intended.

I also hit a snag in a few decks. I had a few dozen in a row in the Die Welle deck and the Princess Mononoke deck where the subtitles and audio did not line up. Guess I didn't do a great job on them. So, both decks had a good chunk of deleted cards. I do delete cards that are too easy or too hard as well, but I always wait a few passes before doing that. For the easy ones, it's a nice confidence boost when they come up, and for the hard ones, I give them a chance to teach me something, even if it's just one word, before I axe them.

You know, it's funny. Back in July I said "And so ends my latest foray into SRSland. Check back in 4 months when I undoubtedly try again, thinking that for some reason, it'll be different this time." And here I am, 4 months later...

But it is different. At least, I'm doing something different. Audio sentences and subs2srs are engaging both my eyes and my ears. I find that if I do something that is just one or the other, it gets boring. Like with doing Anki every time I've tried in the past. Sentence written in target language, on the back sometimes native language. That was it. I sit, doing rep after rep, trying like hell not to be distracted, trying like hell not to lose focus.

That's why I've liked doing LR the times I've tried it (which reminds, I should work that back in, too), but for things like intensive reading, I can only muster up enough energy to do them 2-3 times a week at most. Don't get me wrong, I am a reader. I can get lost in a book easily and read in silence for hours on end. But none of my languages are anywhere near being able to do that. Even with a Kindle and a pop up dictionary in German, I still end up having to look up too many words to understand what's going on and then the experience becomes a drag.

Which is also why I've stopped doing extensive listening to dialogs. I was able to keep at it for a while, but I eventually got bored because I'd end up listening to a playlist on shuffle while sitting and staring at a wall for 15 minutes. I don't want to abandon doing this type of listening because it does help my listening comprehension, but I just need to find a more interesting/fun way of doing it.

Progress

Japanese
Assimil Lessons: 12 / 99 (no progress)
Jpod101 Newbie Dialogs: 151 / 151 (finished)
Jpod101 Beginner Dialogs: 61 / 339 (no progress)
Japanese Sentence Patterns: 39 / 142 (+5)
PMP Basic Japanese Chapters: 4 / 8 (no progress)

Kenshin EP 1-4 subs2srs deck: Started with 992 cards, have 976 now (16 deleted) with 893 cards left unseen.
Princess Mononoke deck: Started with 972 cards, have 893 left (79 deleted) with 843 left unseen.

I guess you could say my ultimate goal for the subs2srs decks is to have zero cards. Delete the hard ones, delete the unusable ones, delete the easy ones...and for the cards that are left over which teach me something, eventually delete them because they become easy ones too.

Got back to doing some grammar study for Japanese. This week was on various ways to make comparisons. This week I start chapter 4, "Describing actions in the past, present and future".

German
Lola Rennt deck: Started with 472 card, have 450 left (22 cards deleted) with 404 left unseen.
Das Leben Der Anderen: Started with 1032 cards, have 1021 left (11 deleted) with 952 unseen.
Die Welle: Started with 1417 cards, have 1364 left (53 deleted) with 1246 left unseen.

I also do audio sentences and written senteces decks for German, but with how often I delete from and add to them, there's no point in any stats for them. I've chopped up some Assimil lessons and well as some FSI content just to get them rolling.

French
Assimil Lessons: 36 / 113 (no progress)
Teach Yourself French Chapters: 5 / 25 (no progress)
FrenchPod Newbie Dialogs: 69 / 69 (finished)
FrenchPod Elementary Dialogs: 2 / 52 (no progress)
Easy French Reader: 6 / 62 (no progress)
French In Action videos: 2 / 52 (no progress)

No progress in French, but I did cut up a lot of the first lesson in FSI and was as several Assimil lessons and the first chapter of Teach Yourself. I'll start making a little bit of progress this week I hope.

Korean
Sogang 1A Chapters: 4 / 6
Yonsei 1 Chapters: 6 / 10
Yonsei 1 Reading Entry: 16 / 40
Active Korean 1 Chapters: 3 / 8
Korean Grammar In Use: Beginner Entries: 48 / 112
TTMIK Lessons Level 1: 25 / 25 (finished)
TTMIK Lessons Level 2: 30 / 30 (finished)
TTMIK Lessons Level 3: 30 / 30 (finished)
TTMIK Lessons Level 4: 20 / 30

This is roughly where I was when I stopped Korean last time. Just because I'm only spending 2-3 hours a week on Korean doesn't mean I can't make an effort to advance it a little every week, even if it's just by 1 dialog or a TTMIK lesson.

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version