sabotai
United States
Joined 5663 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 145 of 151
30 November 2014 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
Now that I'm returning to normalcy in my routine (back to doing some JPod101 dialogs, Assimil, etc.), I've dropped to doing just 1 session of subs2srs a day. I also created a Cowboy Bebop deck, so now I'm timeboxing 10 minutes for each Japanese deck.

I've also kept up with the other SRS decks. Here are the rules I've outlined for myself for SRS. I try to marry some of the ideas that the "never review" crowd has (like "if it's important, it'll come up again") with what some of the "pro-SRS" crowd has. IOW, I stole most of this from emk.

1) If the card annoys, delete it. You can't learn from something or someone that annoys you.
2) If a card is too easy, delete it. You've already learned it!
3) If a card is too difficult, delete it. You'll come back around to it in some other form (if it's important) when you're ready.
4) If a card has been seen 6 times, delete it. If it's important, it'll show up again in some other form.
5) (for subs2srs) If the card begins with an annoying click because audio got chopped off, delete it. No use getting a headache over it.

For subs2SRS: 10 minutes per deck.
For others: 5 or 10 new cards per day. Never, ever more than 10.

I think the biggest lesson I've learned in my efforts to use SRS this year is that a little bit of SRS goes a long way.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5663 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 146 of 151
01 December 2014 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
Week 48 Review (Nov 24 - 30)

Japanese: 5 hours, 45 minutes
German: 5 hours, 15 minutes
Korean: 2 hours, 30 minutes
French: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Week 48 Total: 14 hours, 45 minutes
2014 Year To Date: 658 hours

Progress

Japanese
Assimil Lessons: 13 / 99 (+1)
Jpod101 Newbie Dialogs: 151 / 151 (finished)
Jpod101 Beginner Dialogs: 64 / 339 (+3)
Japanese Sentence Patterns: 43 / 142 (+4)
PMP Basic Japanese Chapters: 4 / 8 (no progress)

S2S: Kenshin 1-4: 953 left (out of 992), 875 new cards left
S2S: Mononoke: 868 left (out of 972), 814 new cards left
S2S: Cowboy Bebop 1: 153 left (out of 153), 136 new cards left

Back to normalcy with Japanese. Got back to making progress in Jpod101, Assimil, my grammar study and still putting in the time with subs2srs.

German
S2S: Lola Rennt: 418 cards left (out of 472), 345 new cards left
S2S: Das Leben Der Anderen: 999 cards left (out of 1032), 925 new cards left
S2S: Die Welle: 1288 cards left (out of 1417), with 1179 new cards left

LR: Alice im Wunderland: 1/12 Chapters (0:13:25 / 2:57:30)
LR Total Time of Material: 0:13:25

My process for doing LR is not strict. For the first chapter of Alice im Wunderland, I simply listened to the audio in German and followed in English once, and then redid the chapter while listening to German and reading German. I might redo the chapter again with listening and reading in German, but probably not.

If I don't feel the need to remind myself of the content of the chapter, I'll just listen and read along to the German. Or maybe I'll just skim through the chapter real quick in English and then do the German listening and reading. Repeat the chapter however many times I feel like, but the time only counts once for my LR record (every time counts for my overall time, though. Even though it fell a few minutes short, I counted 30 minutes of LR today for the two times listening to chapter 1).

Korean and French
No progress, despite what I said last week. Just review.

Now that I'm upping the time I spend on German even more, I'll probably drop French again for the time being.

I keep going back and forth from one extreme to the other. I'll want to spend just a little time on several languages, a few months later I just want to spend a lot of time on just 1 or 2...and then a few months later I'm back to wanting to do several at a time. Not the worst thing in the world that I keep picking up and dropping them. Better than not learning them at all. My issue is that when I do pick them back up, I go too far back to the beginning instead of just picking up where I left off. My mindset is "I MUST have forgotten something and I have to get it all back!!!". I need to stop doing that.

4 more weeks and a handful of days to go in 2014. The year's gone by quick. I'll get to 700 hours, 300 short of my initial 1000 hour goal. I never kept track of my time for an entire year before, so I can only guess at this, but I would not be surprised at all if 700 hours was more than double the amount of time I've put towards learning languages in a year before. For 2015, I'm going to swing for the fences again and aim for 1000.
1 person has voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5663 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 147 of 151
07 December 2014 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
In addition to doing the subs2srs decks for the anime and movies, I've also been watching them as I go. If I only have 15 minutes, I'll key up the video about 10 minute prior to where I am with the new cards, and then watch until I'm 5 minutes ahead (to give myself a bit of a test). I usually only get in one 15 block with one of the German movies or Japanese anime a day.

Being a weekend, I had some more time today. I watched the first 30 minutes of Die Welle (I'm at ~18 minutes into the movie with the subs deck) and I watched the first episode of Kenshin as well as the first several minutes of episode 2 (I'm nearing the end of the first episode with the deck).

With the German movies, if I were to apply some ballpark (IOW, made up) percentages, I'd say I'm at about 25% instant recognition and 25% no idea what is said. The other 50% would be a mixture of words I know I've heard before but can't remember the meaning of and words I can remember the meaning of, but my brain is still too slow when it comes to putting them together to form a single idea.

With the Japanese, I'd say I'm still in the single digits for instant recognition and words I've heard before, and 90+% not having a clue. However, I do think it's starting to help. While watching the second episode of Kenshin, what I noticed is that I'm becoming better are parsing out words from sentences that before were just a string of sounds. I'm starting to pick up those words I've heard before (but may not remember the meaning). Usually, even if it's a known word, if it's sandwiched between words I don't know, the whole thing is incomprehensible to me. I feel like I'm starting to hear those words and phrases now in the middle of sentences.

In other news, I'm working on making a Psycho Pass deck now. Like Kenshin, the DVD is just one long video (7 episodes long), so syncing up 2 hours and 40 minutes worth of subtitles is going to take some time. I'm going to replace my Mononoke deck with it. Princess Mononoke is a movie I watched several years ago, haven't watched it again since, and it's the one deck of the 6 that I don't like doing. Some of the characters are hard to understand and really slur their speech. There's one character in Das Leben Der Anderen that is hard to understand too, but seeing as my German is a lot better than my Japanese, it's manageable. With Mononoke, the shouting, slurred speech is a bit too much for me right now.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5663 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 148 of 151
08 December 2014 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
Week 49 Review (Dec 1-7)

Japanese: 5 hours, 45 minutes
German: 6 hours, 45 minutes
Korean: 2 hours

Week 49 Total: 14 hours, 30 minutes
2014 Year To Date: 672 hours, 30 minutes

When I woke up today, I told myself that I needed to spend a good amount of time learning languages and to not spend all day getting that Psycho Pass deck ready. So of course, I spent all day getting that Psycho Pass Deck ready.

At least it's done. I really like the series so I wanted to make sure I go the subs lined up as best I could, so I ended up spending quite a bit of time on it.

Progress

Japanese
Assimil Lessons: 13 / 99 (no progress)
Jpod101 Beginner Dialogs: 66 / 339 (+2)
Japanese Sentence Patterns: 45 / 142 (+2)

S2S: Kenshin 1-4: 923 left (deleted 30 this week), 856 new cards left (-19)
S2S: Cowboy Bebop 1: 148 left (deleted 5 this week), 106 new cards left (-30)
S2S: Psycho Pass 1-7: 1799 left (deleted 2 this week*), 1787 new cards left
S2S: Mononoke: 852 left (deleted 16 cards), 795 new cards left (-19) Final stats for now.

* - First two cards were unusable
Wanted to get a little bit further with the Jpod101 dialogs today, but Psycho Pass. But, I do now have a deck with 1800 cards, and if I progress at the same rate as I'm going through Cowboy Bebop, that should last over a year. Plus, Psycho Pass is a sci-fi crime drama anime. Lots of scenes with characters standing around and talking. Perfect for doing this.

German

S2S: Lola Rennt: 390 cards left (deleted 28), 293 new cards left (-52)
S2S: Das Leben Der Anderen: 968 cards left (deleted 31), 881 new cards left (-44)
S2S: Die Welle: 1241 cards left (deleted 47), with 1109 new cards left (-70)

LR: Alice im Wunderland: 2/12 Chapters (0:27:16 / 2:57:30)
LR Total Time of Material: 0:27:16

Pretty easy to see that I've having an easier time with the German subs2srs decks than the Japanese ones. On top of that, the material I'm using for German is definitely aimed at an older audience than the Japanese anime (Although I'm not exactly watching anime meant for a very young audience either, except for Kenshin and that's the one I deleted 30 cards from this week).

I have been mostly ignoring my "if it's too difficult, delete it" rule because I do think I'm getting something out of listening to content way beyond my level while reading the text and translation. The easy ones get chopped (after I leave them in for a few passes to boost my confidence), and for Die Welle a lot of easy ones got deleted this week. I probably could have deleted a few dozen more but they'll be gone soon enough too.

Korean
Sogang 1A Chapters: 4 / 6 (no progress)
Yonsei 1 Chapters: 6 / 10 (no progress)
Yonsei 1 Reading Entry: 16 / 40 (no progress)
Active Korean 1 Chapters: 3 / 8 (no progress)
Korean Grammar In Use: Beginner Entries: 48 / 112 (no progress)
TTMIK Lessons Level 1: 25 / 25 (finished)
TTMIK Lessons Level 2: 30 / 30 (finished)
TTMIK Lessons Level 3: 30 / 30 (finished)
TTMIK Lessons Level 4: 23 / 30 (+3)

Got a few TTMIK lessons in this week.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5663 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 149 of 151
15 December 2014 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
Week 50 Review (Dec 8-14)

Japanese: 3 hours
German: 3 hours
Korean: 1 hour

Week 50 Total: 7 hours
2014 Year To Date: 679 hours, 30 minutes

I had a very busy week this week. No progress. I only did my subs2srs decks 1 day. Most of the time for Japanese and German was spent doing extensive listening over the weekend. It just happened that I had a few social events, doctor's visit, house sitting the parents (and forgetting to bring anything to work on while there) all in one week. But that's all over now and I got my free time back starting this weekend.

As 2015 gets closer, I'm thinking of adding a 4th language, but not French. Right now I'm leaning towards Hindi. I'm still undecided though and am considering Russian or Khmer too. I want to add a language I haven't touched before. I've learned the script for Russian, but that's it. Hindi and Khmer I haven't looked at all yet. I might start learning the Hindi script this week. I've already gone through the Bengali script, so it shouldn't be too hard. Many of the "letters" are similar (and many others not).

sabotai
United States
Joined 5663 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 150 of 151
22 December 2014 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Week 51 Review (Dec 15-21)

Japanese: 4 hours, 30 minutes
German: 4 hours, 30 minutes
Korean: 2 hours, 15 minutes

Week 51 Total: 11 hours, 15 minutes
2014 Year To Date: 690 hours, 45 minutes

I got sucked into a game called Craft The World and it stole most of my weekend...

Most of the time this week was spent on subs2srs and extensive listening. With Christmas coming up, I'll have some time off from work and hopefully finish this year off with big week.

Progress

Japanese

Assimil Lessons: 13 / 99 (no progress)
Jpod101 Beginner Dialogs: 66 / 339 (no progress)
Japanese Sentence Patterns: 49 / 142 (+4)

S2S: Kenshin 1-4: 902 left (deleted 21 this week, 90 overall), 827 new cards left (-19)
S2S: Cowboy Bebop 1: 131 left (deleted 17 this week), 54 new cards left (-52)
S2S: Psycho Pass 1-7: 1792 left (deleted 7 this week), 1756 new cards left (-31)

German

S2S: Lola Rennt: 360 cards left (deleted 30), 251 new cards left (-42)
S2S: Das Leben Der Anderen: 938 cards left (deleted 30), 860 new cards left (-21)
S2S: Die Welle: 1206 cards left (deleted 35), with 1061 new cards left (-48)

LR: Alice im Wunderland: 2/12 Chapters (0:27:16 / 2:57:30)
LR Total Time of Material: 0:27:16

Korean
Sogang 1A Chapters: 4 / 6 (no progress)
Yonsei 1 Chapters: 6 / 10 (no progress)
Yonsei 1 Reading Entry: 16 / 40 (no progress)
Active Korean 1 Chapters: 3 / 8 (no progress)
Korean Grammar In Use: Beginner Entries: 48 / 112 (no progress)
TTMIK Lessons Level 1: 25 / 25 (finished)
TTMIK Lessons Level 2: 30 / 30 (finished)
TTMIK Lessons Level 3: 30 / 30 (finished)
TTMIK Lessons Level 4: 25 / 30 (+2)

Just a few more TTMIK lessons.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5663 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 151 of 151
27 December 2014 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
So I've been at this subs2srs thing for a bit now, have started doing audio sentences decks and some cloze sentences decks as well.

Deleting cards after seeing them 6 times has helped keep my decks small, and has prevented me from getting bored with the material. However, I feel like I've just been cramming the material because of it. There have been times where I have just started to get the feel of the sentence and that it was really starting to set in (this has only happened for German) when I see it's been 6 times so I delete it.

I'm second guessing that rule of 6 now. On one hand, I don't get inundated with reviews. On the other hand, cards of a certain difficulty don't have enough time to really sink in.

But the feeling that I'm just cramming also comes because of the review schedule. With the default settings, you see the card about 3-4 times that first week. I'm already more than halfway to my rule of 6 after just 1 week. In 2-3 weeks, the card is getting axed.

I'm dropping that rule of 6. I'm still going to delete cards that are too easy or too hard. But the cards that are just right, I'll keep them around until they become the "too easy" cards, unless I do start to get flooded with reviews. In that case, I will purge a sizable portion of the older cards.

I've been trying to change the settings around to give myself a larger starting interval, but a slower increase in the size of the intervals. Here's what I've come up with.

I change the graduating interval from 1 day to 3 days, but change the Interval modifier from 100% to 80%. This should create intervals that are larger by a few days the first few times I see the card (after it's done with the "Steps") due to the higher starting interval, but the lowered interval modifier will increase the interval at a slower rate.

I also set the maximum interval to 28 days. If a card is not too easy enough for me to delete after 28 days, I want to see it again in 4 weeks, not 4 months.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version