United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 17 of 151
03 November 2012 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
November 2, 2012
Assimil Challenge: Chinese With Ease Lesson 2 (20 minutes) - the speed of the audio jumped up a bit with this lesson already. The topic was using 要不要 (want / not / want) to ask someone if they wanted something. Literal English translation would be "Want not want food?" (Would you like something to eat?), "Want not want soup?" (Would you like some soup?)

TY Bengali (20 minutes) - Did the exercises for chapter 1. Went over the Bengali letters for a (আ), i (ই, ঈ), u (উ, ঊ), b (ব), r (র), l (ল), m (ম), n (ন), g (গ). I'm going to redo the exercises again tomorrow. I love writing Bengali letters.

Korean
Fridays are generally not good language learning days because I do most of my weekly chores (going to the bank, going food shopping, etc.) on Fridays. Today, I didn't do any of that. I still didn't do much Korea study because the reason I didn't get to do those things was because my car died on my way home from work. What a crappy afternoon that turned out to be.

I did spend some time with my new grammar book, Korean Grammar in Use: Beginner. I went through the "Getting Ready" section. 5 chapters on 이다, 딨다, Numbers, Dates and Days of the Week, and lastly Time. All stuff I've long since covered in TTMIK, but I never forgo a chance to throw some more dialogs into my rotation or to mine me some sample sentences.

Edited by sabotai on 03 November 2012 at 6:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 18 of 151
04 November 2012 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
November 3, 2012
Assimil Challenge: Chinese With Ease Lesson 3 (20 minutes) - working off the last lesson, the main point was 买不买 (buy / not / buy). Literally, the sentences asked "You buy not buy books?", basically asking if you buy books, but the meaning is "Do you want to buy books?". It also showed how to use 要买 (want buy) to mean the same thing.

TY Bengali (20 minutes) - Redid the chapter 1 writing exercises. I'll be moving on to Chapter 2 tomorrow.

Korean
Sogang 1A Getting Ready 2
Yonsei Reading book 1 #4 (1-3 are Hangul lessons)
Korean Grammar In Use: Present Tense (both formal and informal)

Watched Running Man episodes 23-24

sabotai
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 19 of 151
06 November 2012 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
November 5, 2012
Assimil Challenge: Chinese With Easy Lesson 4 (20 minutes) - Covered the verb "to be", the possessive and how to say that you have experienced something before (as in, "I have met him before" or "I have seen him before").

TY Bengali (20 minutes) - Read through Chapter 2. Mostly about inherent vowels and a few more consonants.

Korean
GANADA Chapter 2 - using the words for "how" and "more"
LL Spoken World Chapter 2 - Subject particles, location particles and asking "where"
Korean Grammar In Use Beginner: Chapter 1.3 Past Tense Verbs
Watched Running Man episodes 25-26

sabotai
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 20 of 151
09 November 2012 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
November 6, 2012
Assimil Chinese (20 minutes) - Lesson 5 covered "to have"/"there is" (same word used for both)
TY Bengali (20 minutes) - Did some of the writing exercises in chapter 2
Korean - Korean Grammar In Use Beginner - Chapter 1.4: Future Tense

November 7, 2012
Assimil Chinese (20 minutes) - Lesson 6 mostly reviewed previous lessons
TY Bengali (20 minutes) - Finished the writing section.
Korean - Just listened to dialogs and read sentences, didn't do any new content.

November 8, 2012
Assimil Chinese (20 minutes) - Lesson 7, the grammar review lesson.
TY Bengali (20 minutes) - I redid the writing exercises. Tomorrow I move on to Chapter 3
Korean - Another day of just listening to dialogs and reading sentences.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 21 of 151
12 November 2012 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
November 10, 2012
Assimil Challenge (20 minutes) - Assimil lesson 8
TY Bengali (20 minutes) - Read chapter 3

Watched Korean variety show called Heroes episodes 1 and 2

November 11, 2012
Assimil Challenge (20 minutes) - Assimil lesson 9
TY Bengali (20 minutes) - Did some of the chapter 3 writing exercises
Korean - Chapters 1.5 and 1.6 of Korean Grammar In Use Beginner. The progressive tense and the past perfect tense.

Watched Family Outing S1 episodes 7 and 8

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 22 of 151
13 November 2012 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
sabotai wrote:
Watched Korean variety show called Heroes episodes 1 and 2

Ahh...영웅호걸...another good show. It started to get a bit more boring toward the end, but the early episodes were very entertaining. I've rewatched episodes 1 and 2, in particular, countless times. That's also one of the few shows that I've only watched unsubbed (partly because I couldn't really seem to find subbed versions of that show).

sabotai
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 23 of 151
21 November 2012 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
My move is taking longer than I thought it would, is more work than I anticipated and is just sucking more of my time away. Hopefully the new place will be ready in the next week or two...

November 12-20, 2012
Chinese: Assimil lessons 9 through 12 - Had to put this on hold for about a week but am getting back to it now.
Bengali: TY Chapter 3 finished and read chapter 4 today (Nov 20th).

What I've done in Korean
Yonsei 1 first half of chapter 2
Korean Grammar In Use Beginner: Part 2 (3 parts) - Negation
GANADA chapter 3
Colloquial chapter 4
Integrated Korean Beginner 1 chapter 2

I'm not sure what it is that makes me really like a resource and what makes me dislike a book. I really like the Yonsei textbooks, but I really don't like Integrated Korean. I can't articulate exactly why that is though. For whatever reason, when I am ready to advance in Yonsei, I look forward to it. When I see Integrated is due, I feel like I'm trudging through something I don't want to deal with.

So far my likes are
TTMIK
Yonsei (and Yonsei Reading)
Sogang
Korean Grammar In Use

And my dislikes
Colloquial
Active
GANADA
Integrated

And I'm so-so on Spoken World so far. I'm only a few chapters into them so far, so I'm going to keep pushing through. Wouldn't be the first time I changed my opinion on a resource once I got through the first few chapters. For example, I didn't like Teach Yourself at first, but once I got beyond the first few chapters the first time I used it, it picked up and I really liked it the rest of the way.

Korean TV: Running Man episodes 29 and 30

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 24 of 151
21 November 2012 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Can I ask why you are using so many books for Korean? I think the four resources you have put in your 'like' category could be enough.

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version