United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 41 of 151
25 January 2013 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
Intensive Japanese

I've gathered my resources and looked over them to see what I want to do. Here's my rundown for my intensive Japanese day.

Japanese in Mangaland (1-3)
I pretty much know most of the content of the 1st book (30 lessons, there are 15 in books 2 and 3 to make 60 total). I'm doing a quick read through of 10 chapters in the first book to review the content each day. After day 3 when I finish off the first book, I'll be doing 3 chapters each day with the goal of finishing off the books by the end of the year.

Japanese Sentence Patterns
There are 12 chapters in this book. I'm only concerning myself with the grammar that is taught in this book. When I start focusing on Japanese full time again (next year maybe), I'll go through the book again to pick up the vocab and use the sample sentences. I'll be studying half a chapter each day that I do intensive Japanese study.

All About Particles and A Dictionary of Japanese Particles
There are 69 particles covered in All About Particles. I'm using the dictionary to give me some extra explanation and sample sentences. I'll cover 3-4 particles each day so that I finish All About Particles by the end of the year. Like with the Sentence Patterns book, I'm focusing on studying the usage of the particles. I'll go through the book again when I focus on Japanese full time to internalize the content of the sample sentences.

Assimil Japanese
I'll be doing 2 lessons a day. My goal is to get to lesson 28 by the end of the year.

Mostly grammar study. I know a lot of people don't like it, and I didn't like studying the grammar of European languages, but I really enjoy reading about Korean grammar.

I did one day of intensive study last weekend and I'll do another day this weekend.

I haven't done a intensive Chinese day yet, but I plan to use Assimil (get up to 28 by the end of the year) and Living Language Complete (complete Essential), as well as do some grammar study from two grammar books I have: Basic Patterns of Chinese Grammar and Yufa!.

As for Korean, it's progressing steadily. Finished studying Yonsei 1 chapter 4, just about done with section 3 of Korean Grammar In Use and tomorrow I'll be finishing off chapter 2 of Sogang 1A. I'm also up to lesson 25 of TTMIK Level 3.

I'm also up to episode 85 of Running Man. One thing I learned from RM is the -(으)ㄹ래요 ending. At the end of one episode in which Gary won a trip, he went to Ji Hyo and asked "같이 가래?" which means "Want to go together?" I'm trying to keep an eye out for new grammar points like that when I'm watching.

Intensively Reading Harry Potter
I have the first book of the Harry Potter series in Japanese, Korean and Chinese. I'm going to start intensively reading all 3 at the same pace (on my intensive days for Japanese and Chinese, so about 1 sentence every 2 weeks).

I'm still going to continue intensively reading my other books for Korean. And for fun, I'm going to go at the same pace in my German books. I want to see how much my Korean reading ability catches up to my German and it'll help me maintain my German a bit. So far, it took me about 10 seconds to intensively read the first three sentence in A Game of Thrones because only 1 word was unknown.

Edited by sabotai on 25 January 2013 at 5:47am

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 42 of 151
27 January 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
sabotai wrote:
I'm also up to episode 85 of Running Man. One thing I learned from RM is the -(으)ㄹ래요 ending. At the end of one episode in which Gary won a trip, he went to Ji Hyo and asked "같이 가래?" which means "Want to go together?" I'm trying to keep an eye out for new grammar points like that when I'm watching.

Quick correction: 같이 가래 > 같이

sabotai
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 43 of 151
17 February 2013 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Quick correction: 같이 가래 > 같이

Thanks. I get tripped on remembering consecutive consonants like that.

Got back on track this week after 2 fairly busy weeks.

Here's a rundown of my current progress

Korean
Yonsei 1: Up to Chapter 5.2
Yonsei Reading: Up to Reading #16
Sogang 1A: Up to the end of chapter 2
Korean Grammar In Use: Chapter 4.1
TalkToMeInKorean: Relistening to some lessons from level 3

Japanese
JPod101 Beginner Season 1, Lesson 17
Assimil Lesson 6
Japanese In Mangaland - Finished reviewing the first book.
Particles - Have gone over particles は、が、も、ても、でも、と、とは、や、と か
Japanese Sentence Patterns - Halfway through Chapter 2

Chinese
ChinesePod.com - 10 Newbie Lessons

Bengali
Still working on learning the writing system. Haven't touched it for a while.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 44 of 151
03 March 2013 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Found a Korean market near where I live. Looking forward to trying some Korean food. First up was kimchi.....and now I know I don't like kimchi. Not much of a vegetable fan. I only eat a few different veggies (potatoes, corn and green beans), so I didn't think I would like it. I was hoping I would....but oh well.

The last two weeks have been off and on for me. Been doing a good bit of reviewing, but haven't made time for new stuff. I did work on Sogang 1A a bit (middle of chapter 3 now) and a few more entries from Korean Grammar Use (4.4 now).

Some other things got in the way and now I've given up thinking that it'll calm down anytime soon. I still have plenty of free time to learn languages, though. I just need to get adjusted to a bit of a new schedule is all.

I also got caught up watching a K-drama. On youtube, I set up a large playlist of Korean shows to serve as background noise for me. Well, I loaded up episode 1 of Dream High and....my addictive personality took over. I didn't even like it that much, but once I get going with a TV show, I want to know what happens next. Didn't like it that much, but I didn't hate it either. It was much better than Boys Over Flowers (which was just plain awful - sorry to any Boys Over Flowers fans reading this, but IT. WAS. AWFUL! :p )

I'm also up to episode 101 in Running Man. I'm getting closer to being caught up with it, so I'm trying to ration my RM episodes so I can keep watching 2-3 a week for a while instead of blowing through the next 30 and suddenly only getting to watch 1 a week.

leroc
United States
Joined 4093 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Studies: German

Message 45 of 151
03 March 2013 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
sabotai wrote:
I only eat a few different veggies (potatoes, corn and green beans)

Corn is technically not a vegetable, it is a grain.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 46 of 151
21 May 2013 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
오랜만이에요.

It's been two and half months, how about an update.

Korean

SRS: Just finished off 1000 sentences (1001 to be exact - 10.01% of the way to 10k). Once I score a card correct 5 times in a row, I kill it off. That seems like not that many reps (it is if I get it wrong a few times and start back at 0), but if the words, phrases and grammar points are important, they'll show up again. I mainly use SRS to stay ahead of the game a bit.

Books
Yonsei 1 - Currently on Chapter 6
Sogang 1A - Currently on Chapter 4
Yonsei Reading 1 - Reading #16
Korean Grammar In Use: Beginner - Unit 5.3 finished (Unit 5 is on time expressions)

TV Shows
Running Man - All caught up and have to settle on just 1 new episode a week like everyone else.

I've been playing Korean TV shows in the background most days. A lot of times I don't even pay attention to which show I pick. I have also watched shows without subtitles. I watched most of Vampire Prosecutor and have just the last episode to go. Other than knowing the main guy is a vampire, I really have no clue what's going on or what's being said most of the time. I'm not sure if all of that is helping, but it's not like there's anything good on American TV, so I might as well give this long-term immersion thing a real shot.

Japanese and Chinese

I'm rebooting Japanese but Chinese I am putting completely to the side. It became frustrating to me trying to read Chinese sentences when the characters were completely unknown to me. For Japanese, I've gone over the JPod101 Newbie lessons enough to recognize most of the characters.

So while I begin Japanese anew this week, Chinese will be put on hold. In its place, I will be putting extra time toward learning the characters. Hopefully by the end of the year, I'll at least be comfortable enough with them to start Chinese up again.

French and German

I began SRSing German again awhile back to keep it fresh and I started SRSing French sentences recently for the same reason. 894 German sentences down, French is right behind with...well, 0, but any day I'll start ticking up as 46 sentences are just 1 correct score away from being finished.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 47 of 151
28 June 2013 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
My almost halfway through 2013 review (holy crap, we're halfway through 2013 already!?)

Korean

Yonsei 1: Halfway through chapter 7 (of 10)
Sogang 1A: Halfway through chapter 5 (of 6)
Korean Grammar In Use: Unit 5.7 finished
TTMIK: Level 5, Lesson 10 completed

SRS - Well I stopped SRS again. On again, off again. And I think I've finally settled on a different system. The thing with SRS is that I need to get away from the computer. I sit at the computer for far too long every day. I can't help it. I'm a computer geek, so over time, I drift more and more towards doing stuff on the computer. It's an urge I have to fight.

I also remember better when I write out sentences. I've gone back to an old method I used to do using notebooks (with some modifications). Here's the basic run down.

1) Do scriptorium for ~20 sentences a day. (June 27th)
2) Read those sentences everyday for 3 straight days (June 28th, 29th, 30th)
3) Review those sentences in 1 week (July 7th), 2 weeks (July 21st) and 3 weeks (August 11th). If I have forgotten any of them during these reviews, I add them to the new day's list of scriptorium sentences and cross them out (subtract them from the June 27th list and them to the July 7th, July 21st or August 11th list).
4) After the 3rd review, the sentences that are left are considered completed.

Not nearly as efficient as SRS, but it gets me off the computer. I've also been doing this with German (every day like I do with Korean), French (every 4 days I do a new list) and Japanese (every 4 days).

The advantages of this, at least for me, is that I remember better when I write vs typing (and I don't really have the time to do both). Partially because when I'm typing, I'm in auto-pilot mode. The scriptorium forces me to slow down and think about what I'm writing and saying.

When I stopped SRSing, my count for finished Korean sentences was 1057. It'll be until August before I start ticking that number up again (the last review for the first day in my notebook is August 1st)

I haven't advanced much in the textbooks and dialogs because this is the third time in the last few months where I changed my sentences system. But, this is it. I've tried SRS so many times, I've created rules for myself to try to keep me into it, but no matter what I do, I eventually grow to hate SRS. But the efficiency of SRS keeps drawing me in...like the sirens to Odysseus...my resist!

Japanese

I'm currently going through the JapanesePod101 Newbie seasons again as well as doing RTK. I do one new Newbie lesson a day. I've already gone through them before a few times, so this is all review.

German

My last count for completed sentences in SRS before I stopped was 1036. For the notebooks, I've been mining sentences out of two vocab books. Mastering German Vocabulary: A Thematic Approach and The Big Yellow Book of German Verbs. Both are filled with sample sentences but definitely not for the newbie. Some of the vocab is a bit advanced. The good news is that I've been learning German off and on for long enough that learning new vocab is relatively easy for me in German. If I were to try to learn this level of new vocab in Japanese or Korean, my brain would probably melt.

At some point this year, I'm going to put all other languages on hold (still review, just not do any new content) for a short time and give German some intensive LRing. I've dabbled with LR but haven't really given it a full go yet, so at some point I'd like to try LRing for a week or two, doing it for 4+ hours a day to see how much of an effect that will have on my German.

French

I started going through FrenchPod newbie lessons and have been using them for my sentences.

Russian and Bengali

I've spent some time learning the script for these two languages.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 48 of 151
22 July 2013 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
I hate studying Korea. At least, that's how I feel today. Maybe not tomorrow. It's been a few weeks; time for an update.

A few weeks ago, not long after making my last update, I decided to stop focusing on Korean. After spending ~7-8 months focusing on it, most days doing nothing but studying Korean, I burned out. It's a bit amazing I made it that long. I usually focus on a language for 3-4 months before needing to switch things up.

For the last few weeks, I've still studied Korean. Instead of 2-4 hours a day, though, it's been about 30-45 minutes. Japanese has gotten to majority of my time but I'm also spending time on German and French as well.

After a few weeks of this, I cringe every time I pick up a Korean book or my Korean notebooks. I didn't think I was this burned out, but it seems like I am. I know just dropping it for awhile runs the risk of forgetting some of it, but once upon a time, I let German go for well over a year and while I was rusty when I picked it back up, it didn't take long (days, maybe a week) to get back to where I was when I put it to the side.

I'm not planning to leave Korean sit for a year though. Maybe 2-3 months. Who knows, maybe a week or two is all I need. I'll still be watching Running Man, though!

Anyway, that's my Korean update.

Japanese is going well. I'm pulling sentences out of A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar and retaining them at a decent rate. I'm pushing through JPod101 Newbie and Beginner material as well as Assimil. I'm also going to start using the Genki textbook(s) too.

French - A few dozen FrenchPod Newbie lessons in my belt as well as the first few Assimil lessons. Right now, the material is fairly easy for me because I'm a "false beginner".

German - I've been retaining the sentences from the two vocab books at a higher rate than I expected, and I began throwing in some Assimil lessons (starting with lesson #50) to get some listening practice.

Russian and Bengali - I'm starting to feel comfortable reading Russian writing. The Bengali is going to take a lot longer.

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version