Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
Tom-Ams
United Kingdom
Joined 4240 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 4
17 October 2012 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
So today marks the real beginning of my adventure. For a bit of background, let me tell you, I am very proficient in language learning, oh yes, I know all the techniques, all the methods, I know all the big polyglots, Ive watched all of their videos and read all of their blog articles. I have surfed the internet for the last 3 or so months reading other peoples adventures in language learning and trying to get myself into my own language project..

The problem is.. If this had been the idea/goal of the last 3 months then it would be great.. but it wasn't.. The idea was to learn Dutch and make my way towards being able to converse with my girlfriends family who have made so much effort speaking English to me these past few years..

However, I have now made the decision to move over to Amsterdam to live and start a new chapter/adventure.. I will be leaving in 2 weeks and now is the best time to throw myself into the project.. no more excuses, no more procrastinating and no more English!

I will be employing the below methods and resources:

Assimil: Dutch With Ease - 1 Hour a day

Anki: 50 new words a day plus reviews

Daily emails written in Dutch (as much as I can muster) to my girlfriend

Dutch songs on my Ipod with reviews of the lyrics

Dutch Skype conversations with my girlfriend

The main issues I have had with the little Dutch I know so far is that whereas my reading and writing of the language is getting there, whenever I try to speak the language, even if I know exactly what to say, I find it hard to get the words out as I feel silly and embarrassed and I feel like the people I am speaking to are hearing me thinking I am stupid.

This is the main aim of my adventure, is to get over this barrier by plowing through it and ultimately being able to converse confidently, however bad my accent may be!

Here goes..
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4525 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 4
17 October 2012 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Succes! We volgen je op de voet!

Tom-Ams
United Kingdom
Joined 4240 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Dutch

Message 3 of 4
19 October 2012 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Dankjewel Tarvos! Ik zal proberen!

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4646 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 4
20 October 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
If it's not too much of a distraction, you might want to look at the last few pages of the "native levels" thread in the General Discussion part of the forum. There are a few particularly interesting posts by a speech coach about some exercises you can do.

I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but you should recognise it when you see it. Essentially you record about 5-10 minutes of a native speaker; you may have to do a little editing using the free Audacity program. Then listen to it over and over. But read what he has to say there, and others.

You might also look for forum postings about "self-talk" (I think that is also mentioned in the thread I referred to).

I wish you much success.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version