2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 17 of 25
22 October 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Ironically, for Americans the easiest explanation is
probably the Spanish j.

Possibly. My favorite is "an h with friction". The Mandarin(pinyin) h, Spanish J and
French r are good possibilities.
"That sound you make just before you spit" is a fun one.

For a Russian ear there is no much difference between [h] and [x], so you can pronounce
[h] before a vowel when you speak Russian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4629 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 18 of 25
22 October 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Really interesting are explanations for the voiceless consonants l, m, n, and r in Icelandic, which simply don't exist in other European languages (except Faroese). Colloquial Icelandic doesn't give the faintest clue how to pronounce them except for: "Try to speak an 'h' before the consonant", which is not really helpful at all. But at least it's better than 'voiceless l/m/n/r', which is the standard description in most other language materials. Nobody says that you have to pronounce the consonant + an [h] at the same time to come close to the sound.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6941 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 19 of 25
22 October 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Really interesting are explanations for the voiceless consonants l, m, n, and r in Icelandic, which simply don't exist in other European languages (except Faroese). Colloquial Icelandic doesn't give the faintest clue how to pronounce them except for: "Try to speak an 'h' before the consonant", which is not really helpful at all. But at least it's better than 'voiceless l/m/n/r', which is the standard description in most other language materials. Nobody says that you have to pronounce the consonant + an [h] at the same time to come close to the sound.

At the same time though if I want to learn how to pronounce something, why would I rely on a description of it in print? If I want to learn how to pronounce something, I'd go for an audio or audio/visual recording of it knowing full well that a pronunciation guide on paper is hamstrung by needing to make reference to a language that I'm supposed to know.

Those examples given in Colloquial Icelandic don't seem terribly enlightening on their own since I'd wonder how prominently I'm supposed to pronounce this hidden "h".

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4963 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 20 of 25
23 October 2012 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
" the letters 'i' and 'y' are pronounced the same in Polish, they are used to distinguish between palatalized and non palatalized consonants".

Not true :(

They are clearly distinct.

Moreover Si in Singapur is not palatalized, and still is different than 'y'.

Edited by clumsy on 23 October 2012 at 2:45am

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4750 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 21 of 25
23 October 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
An American once told me the vowel in the French word 'peut' sounds exactly like the vowel in the Korean word '글'(geul) to his ears... which isn't correct.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4841 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 22 of 25
23 October 2012 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Really interesting are explanations for the voiceless consonants l, m,
n, and r in Icelandic, which simply don't exist in other European languages (except
Faroese). Colloquial Icelandic doesn't give the faintest clue how to pronounce
them except for: "Try to speak an 'h' before the consonant", which is not really helpful
at all. But at least it's better than 'voiceless l/m/n/r', which is the standard
description in most other language materials. Nobody says that you have to pronounce the
consonant + an [h] at the same time to come close to the sound.

To my mind, it is good to say voiceless l, m, n, r, because you can pronounce l, m, n, r
and turn off your voice during that. Voiceless sonorants (is it the right word?) exist in
Welsh and in Moksha as well. I can pronounce voiceless r and l. And of course I pronounce
voiceless r every day but that's only an allophone of the voiced sound in Russian.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4629 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 23 of 25
23 October 2012 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
At the same time though if I want to learn how to pronounce something, why would I rely on a description of it in print? If I want to learn how to pronounce something, I'd go for an audio or audio/visual recording of it knowing full well that a pronunciation guide on paper is hamstrung by needing to make reference to a language that I'm supposed to know.

You're right. Of course good audio material is more important than any theoretical description, but when I start a language I find it very helpful if the formation of unknown sounds is explained, so I know what to do. It can be very difficult to imitate a sound only from hearing, especially if you can only hear it at normal speed of speech.

Марк wrote:
To my mind, it is good to say voiceless l, m, n, r, because you can pronounce l, m, n, r
and turn off your voice during that. Voiceless sonorants (is it the right word?) exist in
Welsh and in Moksha as well. I can pronounce voiceless r and l. And of course I pronounce
voiceless r every day but that's only an allophone of the voiced sound in Russian.

To simply say 'voiceless l, m, n, r' may make perfect sense to a phonetician, but anyone who doesn't happen to be one will ask himself how the f*** to pronounce an l, m, n, or r without voicing it! That's why an explanation of how to do that would be very helpful for a beginner - combined with some good recordings of that sounds. Now, I can pronounce those sounds, too, but it took me a lot of practice, during which I had to figure out more or less on my own how voiceless sonorants are produced.

Edited by Josquin on 23 October 2012 at 2:24pm

Mauritz
Octoglot
Sweden
Joined 4853 days ago

223 posts - 325 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Old English, Yiddish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese, Welsh, Icelandic, Afrikaans

Message 24 of 25
23 October 2012 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Really interesting are explanations for the voiceless consonants l, m, n,
and r in Icelandic, which simply don't exist in other European languages (except
Faroese). Colloquial Icelandic

They exist in Welsh ;)

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version