Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4518 days ago

57 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 8
22 October 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I have challenged myself to learn a language people say that is difficult. I listen to
songs in Japanese and I love the culture of Japan. I love it. I already know a few
characters in Japanese. あ =a え=e い=i お=o. I don't want to become fluent but the
level I'm aiming for is easy conversation level. My target is to know all the hiragana.
I love typing in a language that has a totally different alphabet to my native
language. I have started chinese before so the kanji might become useful. I want to
stick to a language that I will learn. I always stop studying a language for some
reason. I will learn 5 hiragana characters a day. Hopefully, this will help me. I
cannot learn them all at once, my brain won't let me do it. After studying, I was too
tired and then I decided to go to sleep. I don't care if people say Japanese is hard
but I want to prove myself that I can learn it. I can already recognise a few
characters already. Depending on my motivation and time keeping, I could do this. My
brain tells me to rush ahead but I cannot do this. I feel excited when I learn a
language that has a different alphabet to English. I will stick to 30 minutes, drawing
hiragana and saying the sound. Then after 30 minutes, have a break. Then do it again.
Then I'll study french after that. I have some doubt but I will try to ignore it. I can
do this, I know I can.

Edited by happycheeks on 22 October 2012 at 4:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4684 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 2 of 8
22 October 2012 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Hey! Check out this site:
http://japaneselevelup.com/

It has helped me a lot, and there's a nice collection of advice there.

2 persons have voted this message useful

happycheeks
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4518 days ago

57 posts - 59 votes 

Message 3 of 8
22 October 2012 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
Hey! Check out this site:
http://japaneselevelup.com/

It has helped me a lot, and there's a nice collection of advice there.

Thanks a lot :)

happycheeks
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4518 days ago

57 posts - 59 votes 

Message 4 of 8
22 October 2012 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
22nd October 2012

I studied for 30 minutes. I studied more hiragana characters. I finally know more
hiragana. I was on my DS and wrote the characters and kept writing them out. I will use
lingq more. I find it useful when I read something, I am able to recognise characters
more.That's it for today. My brain needs its rest. ^_^

happycheeks
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4518 days ago

57 posts - 59 votes 

Message 5 of 8
24 October 2012 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
24th october 2012

I forgot to type in my logbook yesterday. But I am improving in japanese. I have learned
more hiraganas and some kanjis, including kantana. I know them from my chinese. I am
using memrise to remember more of the hiragana and I used some cool apps on my ipod to
help me with hiragana. There are ones where I can trace out the character. I will do more
of them today. After, studying I become so sleepy. I can't study too much because of that
effect. But I enjoy studying it, I wish I had more motivation to learn french now. But my
ADHD (maybe?) and daydreaming disorder won't let me learn so quite well. I have started
reading some words in japanese. I am glad I am able to understand most of the characters
in the word. I don't need romji to read japanese. かわいい - means cute. I understand the
word. Also manga - まんが。But I won't rush ahead, I will take it slow.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 6 of 8
25 October 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Good luck. I like memrise a lot too but I was a bit further along when I started doing it.

happycheeks
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4518 days ago

57 posts - 59 votes 

Message 7 of 8
25 October 2012 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
Good luck. I like memrise a lot too but I was a bit further along when
I started doing it.

Thank you :)

happycheeks
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4518 days ago

57 posts - 59 votes 

Message 8 of 8
04 November 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
It has been a week since I have been learning japanese. It's becoming easier. I can read
words better now. But I am learning hiragana. I know most of it but I need to recap every
time I study so I don't forget it. I could also read japanese content to recognise the
letters by using lingq. I like that website very much. I know how to remember the
katakana for example セ looks like someone is serenading. So I make up random things to
remember them. I ordered a teach yourself japanese book and I can't wait until I use it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version