anthonylauder.c
Joined 5463 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 14
23 October 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Majka wrote:

rukojmí (hostage) is an exception - this can be either masculine or feminine (he or she), or neutrum (they, without any indication of gender)

That's a fun one, since I knew about masculine and neuter, but not about rukojmí possibly being feminine. I couldn't find it in any of my grammars of dictionaries.

I even looked online at my favourite resource of all http://prirucka.ujc.cas.cz and it only shows masculine and neuter.

Thanks, then, for teaching me something. Can point me to anywhere that talks about rukojmí being feminine sometimes? I would like to learn more.

Edited by Splog on 23 October 2012 at 11:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4451 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 14
23 October 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:

That's a fun one, since I knew about masculine and neuter, but not about rukojmí possibly being feminine. I couldn't find it in any of my grammars of dictionaries.

I even looked online at my favourite resource of all http://prirucka.ujc.cas.cz and it only shows masculine and neuter.

You only need to look better: rukojmí, the part under the table or in part 1.1. here or even here :)

In the list of common errors in typography there is an exacter definition:
rukojmí rod muž. i stř. a při potřebě přesného vyjádření i ženský (v zajetí je držena ještě mladá rukojmí; vyděrači propustili zcela vyčerpanou rukojmí)

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5463 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 11 of 14
24 October 2012 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=Majka]
You only need to look better: rukojmí, the part under the table or in part 1.1. here or even here :)

Haha - how could I be so blind? Thank you. Mind you, the "V praxi" prefix is a bit weird, since everything is "V praxi" isn't it?

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5649 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 12 of 14
25 October 2012 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

I managed to reduce somewhat the frustration caused by these phenomena* by thinking
about the cognate in Polish or Slovak (if I knew it of course!). For example, I could
guess confidently that words like sršen and zlost are feminine because
their cognates in Slovak and Polish respectively are sršeň and złość
(nouns in singular ending in "softened" or palatalized consonants tend to be feminine).
Of course there are the "easy" ones like ulice and duše which correspond
to stereotyped Slavonic feminine nouns as retained by BCMS/SC and Slovak ulica
and duša. You may want to try to use your knowledge of BCMS/SC, Polish and
Slovak carefully when confronted with these kinds of nouns in Czech.

Chung, do you know on how my knowledge of Russian can help in this aspect? I do notice
that Russian and Czech have lesser common vocabulary, so there might be lesser
instances where the same word will have the same gender in these languages.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 13 of 14
25 October 2012 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:
Chung wrote:

I managed to reduce somewhat the frustration caused by these phenomena* by thinking
about the cognate in Polish or Slovak (if I knew it of course!). For example, I could
guess confidently that words like sršen and zlost are feminine because
their cognates in Slovak and Polish respectively are sršeň and złość
(nouns in singular ending in "softened" or palatalized consonants tend to be feminine).
Of course there are the "easy" ones like ulice and duše which correspond
to stereotyped Slavonic feminine nouns as retained by BCMS/SC and Slovak ulica
and duša. You may want to try to use your knowledge of BCMS/SC, Polish and
Slovak carefully when confronted with these kinds of nouns in Czech.

Chung, do you know on how my knowledge of Russian can help in this aspect? I do notice
that Russian and Czech have lesser common vocabulary, so there might be lesser
instances where the same word will have the same gender in these languages.

Take the following hints with a grain of salt since my knowledge of Russian is limited to a bit of its structure and I could be thinking more about what I know for Ukrainian.

1) As noted above, přehláska (umlaut) meant that Old Czech's a and u in "soft" words shifted to e and i by Middle Czech. From what I can tell, the a and u of old are continued in the other Slavonic languages including Russian. Hint: if a Russian feminine noun ends in ца, it'll often correspond to some Czech cognate ending in ce.

ulice ~ улица

moje přítelkyně (N.B. more formal for moje also exists) ~ моя подруга

2) As also noted above, Bohemians and Moravians often stopped pronouncing the soft -t of old (continued in something like Russian -ть) at the end of words. Not only do you see this in examples with -ost ~ -ость but also in most infinitives.

budoucnost ~ будущность
číst ~ читать
psát ~ писать

3) Russian г regularly corresponds to Czech h in cognates. There was a sound change in the Middle Ages where the old sound (as continued more or less in Russian and most other Slavonic languages) started to be pronounced closer to "h" in "hotel" by Slavs living in a band stretching from Bohemia to Ukraine.

hovno ~ говно
pomáhat ~ помогать

4) There's a tendency in Colloquial Czech to form the past tense just as in Eastern Slavonic languages (i.e. combine the pronoun with the particple instead of combining conjugated auxillary verb "být" with the l-participle)

Byl jsem doma (Standard Czech)
Já byl doma (Colloquial Czech)
Я был дома (Russian)

5) Unlike in Czech (but like Slovak), the Russian dative/locative for singular feminine nouns does not show the first Slavonic palatalization after the velars (g (h) / k).

Příběh o dívce / holce (< dívka, holka)
Сказка о девушке

Moje přítelkyně byla v restauraci v Praze (< Praha)
Моя девушка была в ресторане в Праге

See also Comparison of Czech and Russian sentence structure and Comparison of Delimitative Verbs in Russian, Czech and Slavic

There's also a textbook published by Slavica called "Czech through Russian" which introduces Czech to people who already know at least some Russian. An old edition of the book is selling for $4 before international shipping charges so perhaps you'd be interested in it. I've read some good things about the book but can't vouch for it.

Notwithstanding what I've posted, I still think that you should "cheat" carefully and not latch onto similarities too hard or regularly think of a language in terms of another as I've noted here. In addition to becoming flummoxed by false friends, you don't want to import all of the Russian patterns onto Czech to the point of inadvertently often producing Russified Czech which could sound weird or just be ungrammatical to Czechs.
2 persons have voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5649 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 14 of 14
26 October 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Chung for this information, I will definitely look at the links and book you
mentioned in your post.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version