Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Will
United States
Joined 6737 days ago

165 posts - 165 votes 

Message 9 of 19
13 December 2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Thanks dpoesc! Your post will help a lot of people.
1 person has voted this message useful

Will
United States
Joined 6737 days ago

165 posts - 165 votes 

Message 10 of 19
14 December 2006 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
dpoesc wrote:
you can get everything you need here:

lessons 1-26

lessons 27-52

Good of dpoesc to post the links but just so it is known, on the lessons 1-26 page I come up with eleven (11) of the audio file links not working.

On the lessons 27-52 page, seventy (70) of the links do not work. It could be any number of reasons why the links do not work.

As examples:

On the lessons 1-26 page click on lesson 2-08 and the see if the audio plays.

On the lessons 27-52 page click on lesson 31-01b.

dpoesc
United States
Joined 6404 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 11 of 19
14 December 2006 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
For some of these, there isn't supposed to be a recording for the lesson, for section 2-08 for example, the workbook and studyguide says you are supposed to review the video or the text work up (2.01 a through e) for the lesson. When I was working through chapter 2 this at first confused me too - I dont know why there is a link there for 2-08 - apparently there is a link for each lesson of the workbook even if there isn't supposed to be a recording for that workbook section.

If you read the workbook and study guides, and read what is required for each lesson, you'll see I mean - if there isn't a little headphone symbol in the workbook for that lesson, then there's no recording you need to listen to.

Edited by dpoesc on 14 December 2006 at 10:51pm

Will
United States
Joined 6737 days ago

165 posts - 165 votes 

Message 12 of 19
14 December 2006 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
That explains it

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6651 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 13 of 19
15 December 2006 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
is the audio useful if you don't have the textbook?

dpoesc
United States
Joined 6404 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 14 of 19
15 December 2006 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
The text book isn't really that necessary, but the workbooks and study guides are for the audio tapes to be used, if you don't have the workbooks, only the text workup portion of the audio (the first several audio files for each chapter) will be of any use.

By the way, you can find used text books for as little as $1.00 (the 1987 version) through abebooks, the text book contains a partial transcript of each video and is required for some of the lessons in the workbook. The 1987 version of the textbook is fine, although I heard the newer text books are about twice as many pages and have a lot more info in them, they're about $30.00 used. I've been getting by fine with the older text book. You can also find a transcript for the first 26 programs here link, click on teachers index, then go under suggestions by lesson.

You should buy the workbooks new, otherwise they are likely to have lots of writing in them. Make sure you get the 1994 or newer versions of the workbooks, the exercises in the 1987 versions don't match up with the audiofiles on the College of DuPage site. I initially ordered some used 1987 workbooks, there were full of writing and the lessons didn't match up with the audio files.

The study guides are necessary if you're using the course on you own, they contain material to help you through the lessons in the workbook. I found used 1994 study guides for about $10 each.

Edited by dpoesc on 15 December 2006 at 10:47am

rafaelrbp
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 6812 days ago

181 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 15 of 19
15 December 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
dpoesc wrote:
only the text workup portion of the audio (the first several audio files for each chapter) will be of any use.

Some drills require to check the correct answer in the textbook or fill in the blanks. But most of them give grammar explanations or audio variations or even just repeating drills.

I like to listen to them, even though I don't have the text workbooks yet.

Thanks for the link, by the way!

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6891 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 19
19 December 2006 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
dpoesc wrote:
The text book isn't really that necessary, but the workbooks and study guides are for the audio tapes to be used, if you don't have the workbooks, only the text workup portion of the audio (the first several audio files for each chapter) will be of any use.

I agree, but without the textbook, even the text workup files might be difficult.

Kubelek wrote:
is the audio useful if you don't have the textbook?

You can still get a lot out of the audio files without the textbook or workbooks, but you will miss many of the finer points of the course. The audio files are book driven, using both the textbook and workbooks. That is the big drawback to the course, it is not “on the go” friendly and requires the books to piece the course together. If you are just using FIA for listening comprehension it is not a problem.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version