Joined 6826 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 19
25 October 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
g-bod wrote:
I wish I'd discovered language self study long before I started working full time but I just have to make the best of the time and energy I have available now.

I feel your pain! I could have got so much done at University, between all the free time
and flexibility and the ease of meeting people from all over the world. These days my old University even offers some free language classes and an organisation for doing language tandems. One of the many things that makes me wish I was still a student :(

I often wonder how I could ever have thought that I had no time to do anything in university. If I had as much free time now as I did then, I'm sure that I'd be well on my way into my twentieth language.

Nowaday, the most I can "study" in one go is the 50 minutes (in two lots of 25 minutes) it takes to walk to my dojo.
4 persons have voted this message useful

rolf
United Kingdom
improvingmydutch.blo
Joined 5818 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 10 of 19
25 October 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
I am usually self-employed and can have long periods of free time but I still don't
utilise the time fully (I'm a natural procrastinator).

I recently worked full-time and will again shortly. When I did, I found that my time
was limited like you. However, I listened to TL music for a month and my listening
comprehension took a massive step up.

If you have any downtime at work, I suggest using Anki web and doing flashcard drills.
This is what I am planning to do.

If you can read in your target language already, you might want to consider reading the
epub at work. I use magicscroll.net to read epubs. Alternatively you can convert to
text using a number of free online tools and paste into Word or some other program.

I start work again this Monday, I am really hoping that it does not derail my learning.
I am quite determined that it won't do. I am currently B1 I think and I want to make it
to C1 within two months time.
3 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4489 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 11 of 19
25 October 2012 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
I feel your pain! I could have got so much done at University, between all the free time and flexibility and the ease of meeting people from all over the world. These days my old University even offers some free language classes and an organisation for doing language tandems. One of the many things that makes me wish I was still a student :(

Ah,a UoE student! :)

Their free courses are merely tasters however, and Arabic was far from fantastic...
But the Tandem association was great however (and free wine!).

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 19
26 October 2012 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
This thread was supposed to be for that:-) Sadly nobody has participated yet, although who wouldn't want to hear how exactly, for example, Cristina manages to squeeze in those hours :)

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4770 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 13 of 19
26 October 2012 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Thank you for all the answers! Some really motivating ones here knowing that others are
in the same position.

Today I managed to read a couple of these answers on my dinner break. I also found a
little way to pop in about 15 minutes of study between my work over 9 hours or so by
just keeping a page full of vocab up behind my current work & flicking back & saying a
couple of them to myself then carrying on with what I was doing.

Sadly I cannot carry & resources around with me nor use my mobile phone as I sit in
front of my manager & wireless internet for my phone is non-existent in my works for
some reason (no idea why) - so a sneak peak on my phone isn't really an option until my
30 minute break which usually involves me walking across the road for a sandwich - if
only it was an hour!!! Also listening isn't an option as the nature of my job requires
me to communicate a lot with others.

As others mentioned about walking to work, I would but I found if I do that it means
waking up much earlier which tends to have a dramatic effect on my motivation.

I'm going to find a way to fit in more study somewhere somehow.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 19
26 October 2012 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
A couple of specific suggestions for you:
-use a foreign interface if possible. if you have a full control over your computer you can use Vistalizator to change the Windows language.
-use the polyglot (or polyglop) add-on if possible. the firefox version doesn't work for me:(
-do you colleagues check email or twitter while at work? do that too :) you can register a new mailbox and redirect what is sent to your old one. or change the language if you use gmail.
-listen to music or podcasts during your 30 min break.
-practice mentally when nothing else is possible. I've registered almost 1000 minutes of mental practice during the previous 6 week challenge. try listening to some catchy TL songs in the morning (like Ai Se Eu Te Pego :D). of course you won't learn new things this way but this will keep the language buzzing in your head:)
6 persons have voted this message useful

cheerbelle7
Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4235 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Levantine), French

Message 15 of 19
03 November 2012 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
One thing that I am experimenting with right now is polyphasic sleep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep) . Its basically a way to sleep more strategically so that you get the rest that your body needs while maximizing your time awake to get more done. I've been getting up about two hours earlier and have had time to fit in a 3-4 hour study ssession in the morning and still work out before lunch.

If you google it along with language acquisition, you will find that quite a lot of people have played around with it. Plus there are different options on how long/often to sleep based on your lifestyle.      

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6826 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 19
04 November 2012 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
cheerbelle7 wrote:
One thing that I am experimenting with right now is polyphasic sleep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep). <snip> I've been getting up about two hours earlier and have had time to fit in a 3-4 hour study ssession in the morning and still work out before lunch.

This has always fascinated me.

A couple of questions:
1. How are you splitting up your sleep?
2. Do you know how long you're planning on doing this for?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version