19 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 19
22 May 2013 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Finally started an article.

-can anyone fix the nested lists?
-everyone is free to edit. as i said, my posts can also be used pretty much without limits
-if you don't want to post an edit yourself, post it here and I'll include it
-i didn't include emk's contribution for now because there's no list of advantages (and really i'd prefer if these were more than just lists)
-i'd like to add a "notable posts" section. don't be shy to link me to posts you're particularly satisfied with, or just to your favourite posts! (in this case we'll have to ask for permission imo)
-there will be one more article about HOW to learn a few languages at the same time. if your contribution would fit it better, please just start one.
1 person has voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4210 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 10 of 19
18 June 2013 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
I'd say an advantage is that when you're bored/overwhelmed with one you can move on to/reward yourself with the
other. I would never be able to log that much time for the 6WC if it was all one language. because of this i would
suggest learning a "hard" language and an "easy" language at the same time. Most of your time should go to the
hard one, but the time spent on the easy one should still give good results. (Maybe that part should go under the
"how to" article.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 19
18 June 2013 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Great, thank you!
I'm curious, which are the hard and easy languages in your case? is it more about your level in them?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 12 of 19
18 June 2013 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Started an article about HOW to do that

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4210 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 13 of 19
19 June 2013 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Yeah, although really i guess it depends on the person. When i wrote it i imagined an asian language vs a romance
language, because that's what would be hard/easy for me. For other people the easy one might be something
they've previously dabbled in or know a related language, and the hard one would be something they have no
experience with.

I read the how-to article and the one you wrote about music, they both look great!

Edited by Emily96 on 19 June 2013 at 12:06am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 14 of 19
19 June 2013 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
One thing. In some articles, there a "thank you" point with the people who contributed. I am flattered to be in one of them but I believe they are not too appropriate for the Wikia as the whole idea behind wiki is that anyone who can see a way to improve an article should feel free to do so. And perhaps such "authorship claim" could tie some hands.

(On the other hand, I consider it only right of course to mention names or nicknames when either quoting someone or linking to their posts, blogs, youtube channels etc.)

So, what do you think?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 19
19 June 2013 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
well, it also serves as "further reading" thing, so that people knew whose posts to look for.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 16 of 19
23 June 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I think we need a section for "should I finish language X first?" but I'm not sure what to put there, apart from an explanation that you never really finish a language.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version