United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4669 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 344
26 October 2012 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
And we're off! We'll use this thread to update everyone on our progress in the Assimil Experiment. As of the end of October we have people studying 21 languages, with seven base languages. Ideally we'll all be on a similar track as we move through the experiement, give or take a couple weeeks.

We'll use the Assimil Challenge: Pre Planning thread for background information and general discussion; and the Registration thread for the list of who's doing what.

For this log, let's see how it develops over time. I don't think we need to impose any format; as long as everyone checks in and updates in some form regularly we should see fascinating results!

5 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4495 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 2 of 344
27 October 2012 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
Yay! I can't wait to start! =)
1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4989 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 344
27 October 2012 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Kanewai ! I've taken the liberty of reformatting your list from the Registration thread, to offer folks
an alternative viewing format if they wish.

Assimil Experiment by target language.
Abbreviations in the brackets (or parentheses) refer to the base language of the Assimil course.

Breton: Tarvos (Fre)

Catalan: Flarioca (Spa),

Chinese: Oruixo13 (Eng), Sabotai (Eng)

Croatian: Kerrie (Fre)

Czech: QiuJP (Fre)

Dutch: Marishka (Eng)

Egyptian: BartoG (Fre)

French: Aspiringpolyglot (Eng), Chang He (Eng), Fabriciocarraro (Por), FireVIN (Por) [will start in Dec],
Gerardparks (Eng), Jeronz (Spa), July (Spa), Melkior79 (Eng), Peters (Eng), Pfn123 (Eng), Pmcl925 (Eng), Roman
(Eng and Por), Slidemasterx (Eng), Tuco (Ita), Vārds (Rus)

German: Fireballtrouble (Fre)

Greek, Ancient: Kanewai (Fre), Rahdonit (Fre)

Hungarian: Nuriayasmin70 (Ger)

Italian: FireVin (Por), JohannaNYC (Eng), Kugel (Eng), Laurae (Eng), Mani (Ger), Songlines (Eng)

Japanese: Ayrrom (Eng)

Latin: Boomerang3378 (Fre)

Norwegian: Agantik (Fre), Jinx (Ger), Serpent (Ger), Yuhakko (Fre)

Persian: Markustein69 (Fre), Zangtai (Fre)

Polish: Overscore (Fre), Tcham (Fre)

Portuguese, European: Frau Doktor (Ger)

Russian: Aelstome (Eng), Anabee (Ger), Emme (Ita), Expugnator (Fre/Ita), FinnC (Eng), Goindol (Fre), Luna
Moonsilver (Eng), Sillygoose1 (Eng), Slothrop
(Eng).

Spanish: Cheerbelle7 (Fre), Jingwumaster (Eng), Puffin1981 (Eng).

Swedish: Cavesa (Fre)

Tamil: Seldnar (Fre)

Turkish: Gnomad (Fre), Jintro (Fre), Kerrie (Fre) [starting in Jan 2013], Rahdonit (Ger)

Vietnamese: Bao (Fre), Shiningstars (Fre)

Yiddish: Laitosto (Fre), Zangtai (Fre)

-------
Kanewai's list (grouped by base language), is post 85, page 11 of the Registration Thread he's linked
above.

"Experiment" participants: Please let me know if there are any mistakes. (You're welcome to send me a personal
message.) I'll also check the Registration thread during the next few weeks for more recent additions, and
update the list as necessary.

Updates done: up to post 94 on the Registration thread, 18 November; and up to post 73 on this thread, 13
November 2012.

Edited by songlines on 22 December 2012 at 3:05am

10 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 4 of 344
29 October 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
So, I'm at my 2nd Russian lesson. I was expecting to tackle the first 10 or so lessons at groups of five, as I did with French, but it was not posisble because the notes are long, the recordings are slow and I have to get used to the cyrillic handwriting and to Italian as a source language. Overall, I'm enjoyng it a lot! i'm finally studying Russian with audio. Besides, my Italian is improving quite a bit!!

markustein69
Bilingual Triglot
Pro Member
Spain
Joined 4435 days ago

4 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, English
Studies: German, Persian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 344
29 October 2012 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Book: Le Persan (French based)

Waiting for the official kick off, I have skimmed a little bit through the book and
I have also tried to get used to the arabic script. I have found out these videos on
YouTube which have given to me a very good intro to the arabic handwritting system.

Maha's video 1

Maha's video 2

Maha's video 3

Maha's video 4

Maha's video 5

Maha's video 6

Edited by markustein69 on 29 October 2012 at 11:31pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4648 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 6 of 344
30 October 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
Persian: Markustein69 (Fre), Tadeo (Fre)

I hope it's okay if I butt in here with a recommendation for those studying Persian. I used easypersian in addition to a regular textbook and though it was very useful.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 7 of 344
30 October 2012 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
I finished lesson 3 of Il Nuovo Russo Senza Sforzo. I think I'm used to the source language. Besides, I'm managing to write more fluently in cyrillic, which will definitely improve optimize my study time for this (Assimil) and for other Russian textbooks I may use later after the challenge as well.

EDIT: Btw, can anyone recommend a source that explains cyrillic handwriting in depth, with ligatures, hooks and non-ligatures?

Edited by Expugnator on 30 October 2012 at 4:44pm

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4662 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 8 of 344
30 October 2012 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
markustein69 wrote:
Book: Le Persan (French based)

Waiting for the official kick off, I have skimmed a little bit through the book and
I have also tried to get used to the arabic script. I have found out these videos on
YouTube which have given to me a very good intro to the arabic handwritting system.

Maha's video 1

Maha's video 2

Maha's video 3

Maha's video 4

Maha's video 5

Maha's video 6

What do you think of it? Does it look comprehensive similar to romance language versions? Are you able to use the book effectively without knowing French?

I'm in a strange situation here with being at a level in Persian where Assimil would be very helpful, but I only know Italian and that version won't be released until next year... and by then I will have (hopefully) slogged past the point where Assimil would be most helpful.

I'm debating buying it and translating the French text via Google or something to ensure I have the gist of the meaning to then learn the Persian off of, but I don't know how effective this might be.

Edited by Hendrek on 30 October 2012 at 6:57pm

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version