25 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, Dutch

Message 177 of 344
02 January 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Dutch With Ease Update

Passive Wave: 57-63
Active Wave: 8-14

My original plan, once I reached the active wave, was to split passive and active wave lessons, doing a passive lesson one day and an active lesson the next. Fortunately, I haven't had to do that yet, as the active lessons have been extremely easy so far. For the second week in a row, I had no problems translating the dialogues from English to Dutch.   

My only complaint with the passive wave this past week is that Dora and Mia were featured in four more lessons. In one of the dialogues, a character named Wim said to them, "Houd nu op met babbelen." (Now quit chattering.) I second that! I've had enough of their babbelen to last a lifetime.

I'm hoping for at least one more week of smooth sailing with the active lessons because I am anxious to finish this course as soon as possible. Why is that? Well, let's put it this way: I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that Santa brought me three more Dutch courses for Christmas.

The bad news is that I'm dying to try them out! I feel like a kid who got a shiny new bicycle for Christmas, but has to leave it parked in the garage for several months before getting to ride it.

It will probably take me another three months to reach the Assimil finish line, so I'm just going to try to stay positive and focused on the task at hand. After all, those other courses aren't going anywhere--they'll wait patiently on the bookshelf for their turn.

Are we there yet? ;-)

1 person has voted this message useful

Gerardparks
Diglot
United States
Joined 4176 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Cantonese, English*
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 178 of 344
03 January 2013 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
New French With Ease

So I haven't been posting any updates, so this will be my first log. Today I am on Lesson 47, so I'm not quite at the active phase yet, but I will be in a few days. I find that I am progressing really quickly each day and I can understand most of what I read without looking at the translation, but listening to the recordings is still hard for me. I spend about 30 minutes each day on a lesson. I don't go back to the previous lesson but I probably should start doing that.

I think I am at the point where I have most of the basic grammar down and all I need is more vocabulary, which I am struggling to remember, but it's coming along.

I haven't tried speaking with other people yet so I've mostly been passive. I can read a simple text and understand some of it, but since the vocabulary in the Assimil course is mostly simple, everyday words, I can't read children's books because I don't even know the words in French for "The Cat in the Hat" or anything like that. Like I said, listening to the Assimil recordings is hard for me, so listening to TV or a conversation is even harder. However, the recordings are beginning to sound a little less foreign with each lesson.

I will probably update my log a week after I start the active phase.

Laurae
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4825 days ago

51 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 179 of 344
03 January 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
I've completed Lesson 32 of Italian with Ease, and while I think it's a useful, if exasperating resource to use on it's own, I'm finding it very hard to quantify what I've learned so far, in terms of the course.
This is my error. Prior to the experiement I studied Italian for about 60 hours, between classes, assignments and home study, and while my class level was A1.1, my home study probably pushed me a lot further, especially with regard to grammar and vocabulary acquisition. I'm finding most of the vocabulary and constructions familiar, and have encountered no great grammar shocks. I feel that I've enforced and revised what I know. Thus, I'm obviously in a different position than somebody learning from scratch.
Therefore I will add other resources to my learning, since I'm simply fed up of using one. I don't feel I'm progressing quick enough, and as the New Year comes, I'm keen to develop my Italian skills.
I might try Assimil alone for a few weeks in the future, maybe for Arabic or Swedish, but I can't see myself using this resource alone to learn, especially since I'm so fond of audio-visual material and grammar exercises.

Edited by Laurae on 03 January 2013 at 5:14pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 180 of 344
04 January 2013 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Le Breton sans peine - jusqu'à la 63ème leçon

J'ai surtout appris la mutation spirante (c'est une mutation qui transforme des
consonnes fortes comme K, T, P et ajoute une aspiration; ils deviennent donc C'H, Z et
F.

T mutait originellement en TH, comme le "th" anglais du mot "thin", mais cette consonne
n'existe plus en breton. Le temps a évolué et comme ça th devenait "z" (pensez aux
français qui ne peuvent prononcer le "th" quand ils parlent anglais!). La mutation
spirante n'est utilisé trop, mais il y a des pronoms possessifs qui demandent cette
mutation (he, o et ma).

J'ai aussi appris l'imparfait en breton, qui est quasi-regulière pour tous les verbes,
pourvu qu'on sait la base verbale pour bezañ (et kaout, qui n'est qu'une forme speciale
de bezañ) et gouzout. Mont et ober sont parfaitement regulières à l'imparfait, tout
comme TOUS les autres verbes.

Il suffit d'ajouter un "e" apres la base verbale et en plus on ajoute les terminaisons
comme ils se produisent pour bezañ. Voici un exemple avec le mot skrivañ (écrire);

(dec'h a) (hier)
skriven
skrives
skrive
skrivemp
skrivec'h
skrivent
skriver (on écrivait).

Je répète: TOUS les verbes se conjuguent comme ça. Et rappelez quand le sujet est
exprimé, on n'a besoin de que la forme à la troisième personne du singulier; donc, me a
skrive (et non skriven).

La distinction entre les formes d'habitude (Glas eo an oabl) et de location (Emañ Erwan
er gegin) n'existe à l'imparfait non plus; on peut les conjuguer en utilisant la même
conjugaison (oan, oas, oa, oamp, oac'h, oant) (notez que c'est plus ou moins regulière,
sauf qu'il y a pas de -e et la base verbale est oa-; les terminaisons sont les mêmes).

Donc on dit: Erwan a oa er gegin et Glas a oa an oabl (on a besoin de la particule
verbale a ici).

De plus j'ai étudié des formes conjuguées des prépositions comme gant, a, da, evit. Les
tableaux sont presque complétés.

rahdonit
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 6401 days ago

50 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English, German

Message 181 of 344
04 January 2013 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Le Grec Ancien Sans Peine

Lessons 1 - 19

Language impressions in general.
I like the sound and the look of the language. The Greek alphabet looks very nice and is easy to learn. One of the most striking things is that despite having nothing in common with the languages I know (well, it is an Indo-European language, but not a Slavic, a Germanic or a Romance one), now and then there is a certain feeling of familiarity with the language due to all those words that were borrowed from Greek.
In each lesson there is a nice étymologie sans peine section which explain the etymology of Greek borrowing in French. But even besides that, random words from the first lessons make you draw parallels. To name just a few:

ΑΝΘΡΟΠΟΣ [anthropos] – human being - anthropology
ΘΕΟΣ [theos] – god - theology
ΨΥΧΗ [psukhe] – soul - psychology
ΒΙΒΛΙΟΝ [biblion] – book - Bible
ΑΣΚΗΣΕΙΣ [askeses] – exercises - ascesis
ΠΟΛΕΜΟΣ [polemos] – war - polemics      

Most probably the vocabulary in the first lessons was specially selected to highlight these similarities and I anticipate that further on things will get more difficult, but am sure there will be a lot these aha moments as well.

Grammar
In theory nothing over-complicated so far, but in practice I don’t think I can recognize different noun cases, to say nothing of being able to put a noun in a right case myself. Hopefully, it comes with time    

Pronunciation
As I mentioned before, I really like the sound of ancient Greek. It is not very difficult either. I am not sure if I can reproduce the musical stress always right, but I am sure it is just a matter of more practice and it certainly gives a very peculiar sound to the language.
I should also mention that there is a difference in the pronunciation of the male and female speaker. The man speaks with a noticeable French “r”, and compared to the female speaker, his musical stress is much stronger as well as the expiration when pronouncing χ, φ and θ. In general I like the pronunciation the female speaker much more, it sounds much more … natural. As if I were able to judge it :)

Texts of the lessons
Frankly speaking, not very exiting so far. I hope, when we move further and more vocabulary and grammar patterns are introduced, the texts will also become more interesting.

Edited by rahdonit on 04 January 2013 at 5:33pm

rahdonit
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 6401 days ago

50 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English, German

Message 182 of 344
04 January 2013 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
Türkisch ohne Mühe

Lessons 1 – 11

I don’t have a lot to say so far, I had done the first 7-8 lessons some two years ago. I am really surprised how much I retained. Until now it was more like remembering something that you had well known before, speaking both about the vocabulary and grammar.
The texts are very nice and the explanations clear.

melkior79
Japan
Joined 4418 days ago

16 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin, French

Message 183 of 344
05 January 2013 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
New French with Ease Lesson 44

Today I continue with Assimil. I am doing alot more reading out loud than I used too.
I have started writing out the sentences in the exercises as well as reading them out loud and listening to the CD.

Today I met a colleague at work, he is a French language professor, and he saw where I was in the book and started to talk to me in French. It was a surprise to him that I couldn't reply in French.

I told him that by April I will be able to talk to him in French...

I hope something magical happens in the next 3 months because right now I cant see it happening!!!!

I hope Monsieur Duclos can pull me through this!

Active Phase will start next week!
3 persons have voted this message useful

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4311 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 184 of 344
05 January 2013 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
melkior79 wrote:
New French with Ease Lesson 44

Today I continue with Assimil. I am doing alot more reading out loud than I used too.
I have started writing out the sentences in the exercises as well as reading them out
loud and listening to the CD.

Today I met a colleague at work, he is a French language professor, and he saw where I
was in the book and started to talk to me in French. It was a surprise to him that I
couldn't reply in French.

I told him that by April I will be able to talk to him in French...

I hope something magical happens in the next 3 months because right now I cant see it
happening!!!!

I hope Monsieur Duclos can pull me through this!

Active Phase will start next week!

Did you understand him clearly ? I'm asking it just to look into active/passive
wave concepts.

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version