justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 257 of 344
15 February 2013 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
Le Grec ancien Active 63 / Passive 14

It took me three weeks to finish the last set of seven lessons. My pace has seriously
slowed down, but a lot of this is due to the fact that I'm insanely busy right now. I
have free time in the evening, but don't always have the energy to do much active
studying.

Breaking up my study time into 15 minute blocks, though, has been great. Right now it
takes me, on average, 30 minutes for the passive section (dialogue only) and 30 minutes
for the active (15 minutes transcribing the lesson, 15 minutes drilling on the
exercises).

I thought I was doing fine, but this last revision lesson was a killer. Revision 63
introduces:

1. Declension of pas, pasa, pan (all), which is declined in the 3rd declension
if masculine or neuter, and in the 1st if feminine.
2. Pronoun-adjectives
3. Verbal-adjectives
4. The imperfect in the active and medium voices.
5. The subjunctive in the active and medium voices
6. A verbal participle in the aorist and active tenses that is translated in French as
il prit et s'enfuit ... .

It's all a bit much. I don't even understand a lot of what Assimil is trying to say
here.

The recordings remain the best part; it's too bad that the dialogues are so dull.

Here is lesson 6 from the 1950's Teach Yourself:

Ο Θεός, αγάπη εστί, και ο μένων εν τη αγάπη εν τω Θεώ μένει και ο Θεός εν αυτώ
(God is love, and those who remain in love remain in god, and god in them)

And we get a footnote that let's us know that αγάπη / agape is a spiritual type of
love.

And here is lesson 60 in Assimil:

The mother accompanies the children to their room. The women and children don't eat
with the men. The children talk by the light of the oil lamp, and demand that their
mother tell them a story. "Mama! Tell us a story before we go to sleep!"

- It's hard to get excited about dialogues like this - especially given that the
authors could be giving us stuff from Homer, the gospels (and I'm not even religious),
poets, philosophers, dramatists, etc. I mean, this is what people study ancient Greek
for! And none of it is copyrighted.

The instructions on the phase active are really vague: Traduisez en grec
ancien le dialogue français. Vos résultats vous surprendront!

Seriously. That's it: Translate the French into ancient Greek. The results will
surprise you!

I am making progress, so I'm happy with that, and I think this is a great way to expose
yourself to all the complexities of Greek ... but I'm also looking forward to moving on
to the next course.

Edited by kanewai on 16 February 2013 at 12:03am

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 258 of 344
16 February 2013 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Man... Whoever is going to read over this entire thread after the experiment is over and write a summary post
is sure getting my vote.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Marishka
United States
Joined 5030 days ago

25 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, Dutch

Message 259 of 344
16 February 2013 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
jeronz wrote:
What are the instructions for the active wave in other peoples courses?

Active wave instructions from Dutch With Ease:

1.Read the lesson, repeating each sentence once. If you have the recordings, listen to them carefully.
2. Cover the Dutch text and try to reconstruct it, looking only at the English sentences. Make an effort to do this both out loud and in writing. This is the most important part of the second wave!
3. After you are finished, uncover the Dutch text and carefully correct any errors you have made.

After each new lesson you will be told which earlier lesson you are to review in this precise way. This second wave of your study will lead to an active and, in a very short time, spontaneous knowledge of Dutch.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 260 of 344
17 February 2013 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Man... Whoever is going to read over this entire thread after the experiment is over and write a summary post is sure getting my vote.

It's not really that complicated.

- The Assimil method is better for languages closer to one(s) you know.
- The method will not bring you to a true level B1/B2 (as they seem to claim) with 30 minutes of easy study for six months.
- The majority of courses are very good and cover more material than a lot of other courses out there. But to expect to be at a fluent level in six months with half an hour a day, ie: their prescribed method, is not going to happen.

The problem with Assimil, if you want to call it that, is that you simply cannot learn a language in 90 hours. (Six months = 180 days at half hour a day = 90 hours)

For some people, it might work. For a Portuguese speaker who speaks French, Spanish and Italian, and wants to learn Catalan - it might get you there (or at least close).

For most people, it will require a lot more work than that. This is not uniquely a problem with Assimil.

7 persons have voted this message useful

jeronz
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 4640 days ago

37 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Yiddish, Latin, German, Italian

Message 261 of 344
18 February 2013 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Man... Whoever is going to read over this entire
thread after the experiment is over and write a summary post is sure getting my vote.

It's not really that complicated.

- The Assimil method is better for languages closer to one(s) you know.
- The method will not bring you to a true level B1/B2 (as they seem to claim) with 30
minutes of easy study for six months.
- The majority of courses are very good and cover more material than a lot of other
courses out there. But to expect to be at a fluent level in six months with half an
hour a day, ie: their prescribed method, is not going to happen.

The problem with Assimil, if you want to call it that, is that you simply cannot learn
a language in 90 hours. (Six months = 180 days at half hour a day = 90 hours)

For some people, it might work. For a Portuguese speaker who speaks French, Spanish and
Italian, and wants to learn Catalan - it might get you there (or at least close).

For most people, it will require a lot more work than that. This is not uniquely a
problem with Assimil.

I disagree. I believe that you can get to a B1/B2 level using Assimil. However I agree that 90 hours is not going to get you
there, but none of the successful language learners on this forum recommend only spending 90 hours on Assimil!

Sure you could "finish" the course in 90 hours, but you'd only be getting a superficial view of the course. I for one, being
2/3rds of the way through the course have easily spent more than 150 hours on it. Just counting the hours spent doing what
Assimil asks of you, each study session takes me at least one hour with passive plus active. Even with the second wave there
are many things that I have not internalised such as all the extra phrases and words in the notes.

However the beauty of Assimil is that if you utilise some of the learning methods on the forum (scriptorium, shadowing, Anki
etc) to help you internalise EVERYTHING, there is more than 300 hours of possible learning material packed into the 100
lessons. 300 hours is enough to get you to a comfortable B1, or B2 if it is a closely related language.

Edited by jeronz on 18 February 2013 at 6:26am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 262 of 344
18 February 2013 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
jeronz wrote:
I disagree. I believe that you can get to a B1/B2 level using Assimil. However I agree that 90 hours is not going to get you there, but none of the successful language learners on this forum recommend only spending 90 hours on Assimil!

I am not talking about what experienced language learners on this forum recommend for Assimil. I am looking at what Assimil claims about their method. (Which, to my understanding, is what the experiment was supposed to be about.)

The back of my French book says "Without any useless gadgets, in only a half hour of relaxed study each day, you will acquire French in the same way you learned your mother tongue."

With a half hour or relaxed study a day for six months, no. You cannot learn a language in 90 hours. The results of most posters on this thread show as much.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeronz
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 4640 days ago

37 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Yiddish, Latin, German, Italian

Message 263 of 344
18 February 2013 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
jeronz wrote:
I disagree. I believe that you can get to a B1/B2
level using Assimil. However I agree that 90
hours is not going to get you there, but none of the successful language learners on
this forum recommend only spending 90 hours
on Assimil!

I am not talking about what experienced language learners on this forum recommend for
Assimil. I am looking at what Assimil
claims about their method. (Which, to my understanding, is what the experiment was
supposed to be about.)

The back of my French book says "Without any useless gadgets, in only a half hour of
relaxed study each day, you will acquire
French in the same way you learned your mother tongue."

With a half hour or relaxed study a day for six months, no. You cannot learn a language
in 90 hours. The results of most posters
on this thread show as much.

Yes that is true but this experiment was never meant to explicitly test the 30 minute a
day statement. I refer you to the registration page where it says:

Quote:

3. Follow the Assimil "method" of a passive wave followed by an active wave
   (there are numerous interpretations of this; see the Planning Thread for ideas)

There have been no rules setting time limits on how long you spend on each lesson in
this experiment as far as I know.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=33888&PN=1

Edited by jeronz on 18 February 2013 at 8:44am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 264 of 344
18 February 2013 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Kerrie's list, and would add one more:

- For languages that aren't related to ones you know, Assimil is not "without pain!"
It still takes work, and a fair amount of mental energy.

I started ancient Greek thinking it would be a fun thing to do on the side. Instead
it's turned into a third language that I need to actively focus on and devote time to.
And I'm going to need to continue on with some courses after Assimil.

I was hoping that the experiment would show that Assimil is a great method for language
wanderlust, for those little side projects where we just want a taste of a language -
that I could, for example, do a couple months of Russian or Japanese with Assimil just
for fun. Now I'm not so sure. I think each would turn into a major undertaking.   

On the other hand, I think I could do another Assimil Romance language just for fun,
and maybe even German.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version