344 messages over 43 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 42 43 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 49 of 344
06 November 2012 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
fabriciocarraro wrote:

My only "attention" point is at the construction "Est-ce que..." to make a question.
I'd never seen it before and it's taking some time to "sink in". I understand it, but I
still can't see myself using it in real life, so I'll probably just redo the lesson a
couple times and try to "insert" this construction in my daily life.

So far, so good! =)

You not only are familiar with "qu-est-ce que", but you use it everyday!

Qu'est-ce que = que + est + ce + que = o que + é + o/isto + que

From more formal to more familiar:

Que fais-tu? = O que você faz/está fazendo?
Qu'est-ce que tu fais? = O que é que você faz/está fazendo?
Tu fais quoi? = Você faz/está fazendo o quê?

You see that the grammar in both French and Portuguese is similar, also considering the
register levels.

Yeah but you can also phrase questions like Est-ce que c'est vrai que vous avez acheté
cette voiture?

Est-ce que an sich can be used as a way to politen a request as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chang He
United States
Joined 4225 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 50 of 344
06 November 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I started "French without Toil" at the beginning of the week, and "New French with Ease" on Nov 1st. So far, I'm
actually liking the old-school "French without Toil" more than I expected. The sing-song intonation actually makes
the sounds and stresses stick better, much like "baby-talk" does for native speakers I assume. Each lesson is taking
about 15-20 minutes apiece, so for now, I'm sticking with the plan to do both, rather than try to do more than one
lesson in one or the other per day. If I get busier, I may have to drop one, but I'll leave the decision for later. Bonne
chance, everyone.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5474 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 51 of 344
06 November 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Norwegisch ohne Mühe

Day 2: 3 November 2012

Did lesson 3 today, and restrained myself from going straight on to lesson 4. The pronunciation is awfully charming, although I'm having trouble differentiating the vowels in "er" and "har" when I pronounce them (they both come out sounding like the vowel in the English word "are"). When I listen I can tell the difference between them, but when speaking myself I can't reliably produce it. I assume this is something that will just come from practice, like when I learned to pronounce German "e" and "ä" differently.

Days 3-4: 4-5 November 2012

For some reason I found lesson 4 quite difficult, although lesson 5 returned to being easy and fun. Looking back on it now, the problem seems obvious: for lesson 4 I didn't have access to my "Norwegisch ohne Mühe" hardcover book and used my "Le norvégien sans peine" PDF instead, plus I did the lesson in a busy café filled with people. The combination of distracting café-goers around me and being unable to set my brain entirely into Germanic mode (as I do when I'm learning Norwegian through German) added up to confuse me during lesson 4. I looked at it again the next day and had no problems.

In lesson 5, the definite article trick was introduced: you add it on to the end of the noun, almost like a suffix, instead of putting it out in front. Very cool. This is the first language I've studied that does that. With this lesson, I also felt I was getting a bit more confident about the pronunciation.

Day 5: 6 November 2012

I couldn't restrain myself: today I did lessons 6 and 7. Lesson 7, the first review lesson, was quite simple, so I just wanted to get to it so I could offically say I've completed my first 7 lessons of Assimil.

Today I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the sentence prosody a little bit. Reading descriptions rarely helps me in regards to stuff like that; I find that no description can communicate as accurately exactly what the speakers are doing, so I prefer to just listen to them and imitate. The basic idea (simplified) is that the voice rises a bit at the end of multi-syllable words. It produces a lovely melodic effect. Norwegian is being quite easy and fun so far.

I do find that "er" and "ar" still both sound virtually identical to the English word "are", so despite the book telling me to pronounce it like the German "ä", I'm going to imitate the speakers instead. Better to go ahead and trust the natives on this one, I think.

Edited by Jinx on 06 November 2012 at 9:41pm

Vārds
Bilingual Diglot
Latvia
Joined 4691 days ago

24 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Russian*, Latvian*
Studies: German

Message 52 of 344
06 November 2012 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
French withe Ease.

Completed first 7 lessons.

At this moment I'm still not able to understand new lesson when listening for the first time. Some words here and there, but thats it.
Pronunciation is still killing me. After every lesson my throat feels like swollen - those French "r" and nasal sounds are quite hard.
Each lesson takes me about 25..30 minutes.

I was thinking about doing scriptorium, but right now I'm just too tired after those 25..30 minutes.

Next post after lesson 14.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 53 of 344
07 November 2012 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
I do find that "er" and "ar" still both sound virtually identical to the English word "are", so despite the book telling me to pronounce it like the German "ä", I'm going to imitate the speakers instead. Better to go ahead and trust the natives on this one, I think.
pay attention to the r too, to me it sounds more like a slavic soft r than an English r. Well, different kinds of r's are possible in Norwegian but the only other one I know for sure is the "French" one. And of course these descriptions are just approximate.

Maybe an important thing is that the natives will pronounce it the way they *think* they pronounce it, and then adjust to fine-tune it? Learners are more aware of what they 'really' say in a foreign language, because we know from the beginning that it doesn't always sound like it's supposed to.

Edited by Serpent on 07 November 2012 at 12:07am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Marishka
United States
Joined 5029 days ago

25 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, Dutch

Message 54 of 344
07 November 2012 at 9:31am | IP Logged 

Dutch With Ease

I have completed the first seven lessons (28 pages) of Dutch With Ease, and have settled into a rhythm of study that is working well for me.

I was not a happy camper when I first saw the plethora of sentence structure exercises aka substitution drills in Dutch With Ease, but I have had a change of heart after a week of doing them. Doing these drills have helped me get past the feeling of having a mouth full of marbles when I attempt to speak Dutch. That is not to say that Dutch words are now flowing effortlessly from my mouth! I still stumble a bit over some of the words and my accent is niet heel goed, but that will hopefully improve with time.

Doing the sentence structure exercises has also shown me that even in the earliest stage of learning Dutch I can construct my own sentences and that there is already so much I can say. There are seven substitution drills in the first seven lessons containing a total of 394 different sentences!

Something else I do each day is to take dictation from the audio. I was surprised by how many spelling errors I made at first! The best thing about this practice is that after typing the dialogs I have an almost photographic memory of the material. My feeling that I am on the right track with this was reinforced when I read the following suggestion in Dutch With Ease at the end of lesson 7: Whenever you have a little time, practice writing Dutch sentences.

After completing a lesson, which includes reading the lesson, listening to, repeating and shadowing the dialogs, reading the grammar footnotes, doing the exercises and taking dictation from the audio, I take my dog for a walk. While enjoying the fresh air and sunshine, I practice what I have learned by making up my own conversations in Dutch, using the sentence structures and vocabulary I have learned. Fortunately, I live out in the country, so there is no one around to wonder why on earth I am talking to myself!

4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 55 of 344
07 November 2012 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Russian has become a living language for me, thanks to Assimil's Il nuovo russo senza sforzo. I'm pretty much used to cyrillic handwriting, and it's a unique feeling to write cursively in a new alphabet. It's not the same as copying down Chinese characters or the Georgian alphabet. It seems like I'm really becoming part of this culture. i'm still benefiting from my previous attempts to learn Russian, and conjugation also starts to make more sense.

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4686 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 56 of 344
07 November 2012 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Italienisch ohne Mühe heute

I did the first lessons today. First look: "What twenty lines?", second look: "Oh, we could have put some of them together." I mean do you really need a single line to explain: "Pronto!" (1), "Chi e?" (5) or "Sono Marco." (6) when the person who says them says other short things too?

Text-wise I found it very easy, well, first lesson and it's entitled "At the telephone" so what will you say... Verb-wise it covers the present tense of essere. Pronunciation doesn't seem to be that difficult yet (maybe the Italian r), but it is nice to look at the text in the first lesson and have an idea how to pronounce it for a change...

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version