United States
Joined 4226 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 9 of 344
30 October 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Btw, can anyone recommend a source that explains cyrillic handwriting in depth, with
ligatures, hooks and non-ligatures?

As far as I know, the only ligature still used in Russian is "Ы". The rest went out with the reforms Lenin implemented
in the early 1900s, though a few expatriates in France still used the old orthography into the 90s. Maybe they still
do.

To answer your question, when I learned Cyrillic, I used my textbook "Russian for Americans" by Ben Clark. It's
older,
and not for the faint of heart, but thorough.

Edited by Chang He on 30 October 2012 at 9:08pm

1 person has voted this message useful

markustein69
Bilingual Triglot
Pro Member
Spain
Joined 4437 days ago

4 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, English
Studies: German, Persian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 344
30 October 2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Hendrek wrote:
markustein69 wrote:
Book: Le Persan (French based)

Waiting for the official kick off, I have skimmed a little bit through the book and
I have also tried to get used to the arabic script. I have found out these videos on
YouTube which have given to me a very good intro to the arabic handwritting system.

Maha's video 1

Maha's video 2

Maha's video 3

Maha's video 4

Maha's video 5

Maha's video 6

What do you think of it? Does it look comprehensive similar to romance language
versions? Are you able to use the book effectively without knowing French?

I'm in a strange situation here with being at a level in Persian where Assimil would be
very helpful, but I only know Italian and that version won't be released until next
year... and by then I will have (hopefully) slogged past the point where Assimil would
be most helpful.

I'm debating buying it and translating the French text via Google or something to
ensure I have the gist of the meaning to then learn the Persian off of, but I don't
know how effective this might be.

It seems at first glance very comprehensive (around 800 pages in all) and starts from
square one: As as bit if taste, the first chapter is focus on just five letters of the
alphabet (aléf, bé, ré, dâl, mim). For me it was amazing because right today I have
been able to write down my first sentences in Persian which was so encouraging.
Regarding the BL, I took some semesters of French on Primary School and also it is
similar to Catalan and most of the words ring a bell, so that I will likely be able to
move forward without translating many BL words.

Hope it helps

Edited by markustein69 on 30 October 2012 at 9:19pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 11 of 344
31 October 2012 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
Le Grec ancien - First look

I flipped through the book, and can already tell that this is going to be a different
adventure than any language I've attempted before.

At first glance this looks like a normal Assimil. The cover directions talk about the
standard two phases. There are 101 chapters, 680 pages (!), and the usual system of
Greek on one side and French on the other. They stick with the Greek alphabet, which I
like. The French side has a translation and a 'literal translation,' which I also like.

But here is what's different: there are a lot more explanatory notes, and additional
sections on writing Greek, and on l'étymologie sans peine. There is a 35-page
dictionary in back, which I've never seen before in Assimil. Some of the recordings
have music and song. I hope a lot of them do.

And more ominously: the revision lessons contain verb and noun charts, with the
instructions to periodically review them, and the note that 'it won't hurt' to drill
them. I've never seen Assimil recommend drills and memorization! And on Lesson 42 a
footnote says that if we have made it this far we are either extremely tenacious, or
have fallen in love with Greek.

Here's hoping it's love.

Edited by kanewai on 31 October 2012 at 7:31am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Tcham
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4201 days ago

2 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 12 of 344
31 October 2012 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
Ok, 3 lessons into 'Le Polonais sans peine'...

First impressions of the language:

- As expected, pronunciation will be difficult. The difference between "sz" and "ś" and
between "cz" and "ć" seems very subtle to me, and although I believe I can produce the
sounds somewhat convincingly, it is difficult to hear the difference.

- The orthography will take some getting used to. My poor English speaking brain is not
yet ready to automatically reproduce "wszystko" and "ćwiczenie" in writing, but
hopefully with time and practice the orthography will become second nature.

- Obviously being only 3 lessons in I haven't explicitly been taught any grammar yet,
but the difference between "nowy" and "co nowego?" is an indication of the grammatical
nightmare that awaits me.

First impressions of the course:

- The explanations provided with the texts seem thorough and I've found the
pronunciation aids helpful, particularly for identifying voiced consonants which become
de-voiced under certain conditions.

- There is more recognizable vocabulary than I expected, though I suspect it has been
chosen deliberately to ease the French/English speaker in.

- Looking ahead it seems that the genitive, the accusative and the instrumental are
introduced (in a restricted way) around lessons 10-13. I'll update again when I reach
the lesson 14-15 mark.

Edited by Tcham on 31 October 2012 at 2:47pm

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4306 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 13 of 344
01 November 2012 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
L'Allemand

I could start my challenge earlier than I planned. Today I have completed 12th lesson.

Getting used to German pronunciation method was easy, however I think learning 3 types of
H voice and stress types of German will take time to absorb.

Quality of voice recordings is really high.

I pay attention to make timeless repetition of phrases as book orders. Since 8th lesson,
I realized that I spend 25-30 minutes a day. I don't think this amount of time will be
enough when I reach, for example, 70th lesson.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Laurae
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4820 days ago

51 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 14 of 344
01 November 2012 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
I have completed 3 lessons of 'Italian with Ease'; I started three days early, since I have a three-day wedding to attend next week. I've enjoyed the dialogues and delivery so far. The immediacy of being 'thrown into' real dialogues is certainly preferable to my previous experience of book/audio courses.
The instructions are, however, a bit sketchy, so a quick survey of google led me to an expansion of the method via the 'Dutch with Ease' course:
http://languagegeek.net/2010/05/12/how-to-use-an-assimil-cou rse/
These instructions are certainly more comprehensive and time-consuming than mine, so I might try them out for the next few lessons - I feel that I may get more out the my future lessons, by spending a bit more time on each one.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 344
01 November 2012 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 

I just finished the first 4 lessons of the Brazilian Portuguese course in half an hour. Most of the lessons are only 5-6 lines long.

I am a little disappointed, although I supposed I should wait a few more weeks before I really have the right to say that.

In either case, I will continue, albeit at a slightly faster pace. I am setting aside 40 minutes a day for Portuguese, so whatever I get done comfortably in that time, that's what I will do. I anticipate I will only be doing one or two lessons a day once I reach the active wave. At this rate, that might be next week. LOL
2 persons have voted this message useful

Vārds
Bilingual Diglot
Latvia
Joined 4692 days ago

24 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Russian*, Latvian*
Studies: German

Message 16 of 344
01 November 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
French with ease.

Lesson 1 completed. First impression - pronunciation is challenging. A lot of letters in many words are not pronounced at all (est = e; mais = ma), some are pronounced very subtle; and of course la liaison.

Btw I'm very surprised, that a nasal "n" in the middle of the words was so hard for me.

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version