25 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, Dutch

Message 193 of 344
11 January 2013 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Dutch With Ease Update

Passive Wave: 64 - 70
Active Wave: 15 - 21

Other than not being able to recall the Dutch word for "plumber" (loodgieter), I was once again able to breeze through the past seven active wave lessons. The dialogues are still very easy to translate from English to Dutch.

I'm not feeling nearly as confident about where I am in the passive wave. Some of it I understand completely, some of it I kinda sorta understand, and the rest is flying right over my head.

Some more advice from the passive wave lessons:

• Now and then, go back over the notes and comments in former review lessons! They contain summaries which give a brief explanation of important rules and principles.
  • Underline expressions that cause you difficulty. Go over them regularly and in time these problems will disappear.
  • As a child you enjoyed learning your own language. You amused yourself by repeating the same words, phrases and short sentences over and over again. Learning a foreign language can be fun as well. If you repeat the things you learn as often as you can, they will eventually become second nature to you.

1 person has voted this message useful

melkior79
Japan
Joined 4418 days ago

16 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin, French

Message 194 of 344
11 January 2013 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
melkior79 wrote:

Today I met a colleague at work, he is a French language professor, and he saw where I was in the book and
started to talk to me in French. It was a surprise to him that I couldn't reply in French.

Shot in the dark here, but if he's from the old school of teaching and drilling forms and vocabulary first, and not
speaking and reading until you've already magically learned all of that, he may be assuming that anything in the
book that you're working on should be well within the previously attained level of actively drilled production that
you've done, which would, of course, be way off base.

In case it helps, I'm at active wave lesson 74, IIRC, and I'm now finally starting to realize that I can, slowly and with
a lot of backtracking, express all sorts of relatively simple ideas in French if I try. When I was just starting the active
phase, however, I couldn't say ANYTHING. So no promises, but hang in there and don't panic!

Thanks for the words of encouragement!! I start my active wave today!

I dont think he had seen anything quite like the Assmil text before.He leafed through it and told me that it appeared to be "intensive". When he saw I was up to lesson 46 , he must have presumed I had completely mastered all that material

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 195 of 344
11 January 2013 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
From my log etc etc

Le Breton sans peine (jusqu'à la 71ème leçon)

Bien que j'ai pas eu le temps pour mettre à jour mon journal avec les nouvelles du
breton, j'ai fait ma leçon quotidienne. Ca fait 71 jours consécutives d'apprentissage
du breton. Au moins, si je ne pourrai pas me considérer un expert en breton, je pourrai
me considérer un expert en discipline. On en a parfois besoin, aussi puisque ce Assimil
a tendance à devenir ennuyeux chaque leçon. L'humour qui marque les ouvrages d'Assimil
est notamment manquant ici, et ça se voit dans mon tour de force. J'éprouve plus de
bons sentiments quant à l'hébreu et son méthode qu'Assimil maintenant. (Voilà ma raison
pour commencer en utilisant Routledge et non Assimil).

Faisons le tour des choses importantes en breton;

ma (le conjonction ma, qui signifie "si" en français) entraîne la mutation mixte (qui
n'apparaît pour aucun mot sauf des verbes). En fait, les mutations sont un fait
accompli maintenant (quelques petites exceptions aux regles existent, mais j'ai au
moins un idée comment ça fonctionne à la pratique).

Les verbes:

J'ai appris le futur, mais les verbes irregulières comme mont, bezañ et kaout me posent
encore des problèmes. Je trouve néanmoins qu'Assimil (et c'est un point fort) peut
donner, dans chaque ouvrage, une vue d'ensemble d'une langue. C'est indispensable,
parce que ça permet d'apprendre la structure d'une langue. Et avec une structure basale
des phrasez (qui est d'ailleurs extrémement facile en breton; ce que vous voulez dire
en tête). L'autre jour Fabriciocarraro (merci pour le petit texte mon vieux), m'a donné
une texte un peu plus complique qu'Assimil, et malgré mes erreurs il est définiment
possible d'obtenir une idée dont on parle. J'y trouve pas facile de traduire un tel
texte sans besoin d'une dictionnaire chaque troisième mot, ça, c'est certain.

Il est encore trop tôt pour juger le cours, mais je trouve qu'en tout cas, cet ouvrage
sera inférieur à "Le russe sans peine", au moins l'édition anglaise.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gerardparks
Diglot
United States
Joined 4176 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Cantonese, English*
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 196 of 344
12 January 2013 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
New French With Ease

Lessons 50-56

I started the active phase this week. I only had enough time to translate the first three lessons because I was too busy with school, but those three lessons were a breeze. What I did was I read the French text, listened to the audio once, covered the French text, and wrote down the French translation from the English text in a notebook. I then compared my translation to the French text and made corrections. I only made a few minor mistakes like spelling the words wrong or putting in the wrong accent marks. There were no words that I could not remember when I did the translation. So far, I feel confident about the active phase.

As for the passive phase lessons, I did lessons 50 to 56. I didn't have time to go in depth with each lesson like I would usually do because I was busy with schoolwork, so all I did was read the text and do the exercises. I did not listen to the audio to any of the lessons, so I need to go back and do that. I understand most of the content in the new lessons from reading it.

My spoken French is not good. I tried speaking French with a teacher and I could not understand anything that he said, except for one question where he asked me where I learned French. Even then, I had to guess the meaning of the question because I didn't hear it fully. I had to think really long and hard to get the right words. I am trying to convey my thoughts in French, though.

To sum up, my reading and writing skills are not too great, but my speaking and listening skills are worse. I will update my log in a week.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5669 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 197 of 344
13 January 2013 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
El Catalán sin esfuerzo - Lessons 50 to 56

Eighth review lesson. This lesson talks about word formation and it shouldn't be difficult for anyone who knows a Romance language.

This group of lessons was easy. Maybe, it gives you a break before the beginning of the active phase, which starts in the next lesson and will certainly bring extra motivation for this course.

Edited by Flarioca on 23 January 2013 at 6:11am

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4502 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 198 of 344
15 January 2013 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
O Novo Francês Sem Esforço - Leçons 22-28:

And I finally got to another revision lesson!
Still pretty much the same in terms of listening. Still, the first time I listen to the audio I usually get about 60-70% of what's being said, and after repeating it some times I can get easily to 80-90% (depending on the lesson).

The first lessons were quite useless, explaining about games, lotto, horse races and stuff like that.
The last 2 lessons before the review were really great for new vocabulary though. Unfortunately I don't remember all of the new words, but I'll try and listen to these lessons as much as I can, since then present very useful words such as "se lever", "se reveiller", "se raser", "se brosser" and "s'habiller" on lesson 26 and "boulangerie", "avoir besoin", "viende", "boucherie", "jambon", "charcutier", "crèmerie", "épicier" and other foods on lesson 27. MUST - REMEMBER - THOSE. Although I was wondering, are there still all of those stores or you just go to Carrefour and buy everything you need?

The review lesson was very good, explaining better important grammar concepts like "y" and "en". Also a big doubt I had, about when to use "qui" and when "que". Now it's solved (in theory) =)

Vārds
Bilingual Diglot
Latvia
Joined 4697 days ago

24 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Russian*, Latvian*
Studies: German

Message 199 of 344
15 January 2013 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
French with Ease.

Passive wave Leçon 50
Active wave Leçon 1

After three-week hiatus I'm back. Three weeks ago it reached active wave and after first two active lessons I felt like need a break, it just didn't feel fun anymore.

I think it was good decision. I did today a first active wave lesson one more time and it's was fun again.

I'm now using Anki to help me remember new words and expressions, because it looks like "pure" Assimil method (relax, listen, repeat) is not effective enough (at least for me).

Edited by Vārds on 15 January 2013 at 11:41pm

jeronz
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 4645 days ago

37 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Yiddish, Latin, German, Italian

Message 200 of 344
16 January 2013 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
El Nuevo Francés sin Esfuerzo
Passive Wave: Lessons 71-77
Active Wave: Lessons 22-28

I feel like things are really slowing down and being conversational seems really far
away. When I try to say things to French people they just look at me funny, even though
I feel like I am saying things correctly. I have now covered the perfect, infinitive,
present, continuous, future tenses but I still don't feel like a have a very good grasp
of anything at all. The active lessons are taking a progressively longer and longer
time to complete and now doing two lessons (active plus passive) is taking one to one
and a half hours a day, whereas at the beginning with just the passive phase it was
taking 20 minutes a day. My progress is definitely slowing down unfortunately and
things just are not sticking.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version