Joined 4101 days ago

19 posts - 38 votes
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 265 of 344
19 February 2013 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Chinese With Ease

Passive: 64-70
Active: 15-21

Another week of fairly easy active translations, which is nice. It's a lot of words I'd seen with Pimsleur so I don't think it's all that surprising. My poorest performance was yesterday's lesson 19 where I had 6 tonal errors and one forgotten word. Not too bad. And I do it cold. I don't read the dialogue first as some have suggested. If my errors get more numerous I will start doing that.

One thing I'm doing that I think is helpful is every day I take one lesson that is 10 lessons back from my current passive lesson and I listen to the audio and try to write it out. This exercise, which forces me to focus on the distinctions between the words rather then just hearing them all in a bit of a blur when a phrase is spoken, I think goes a long way for me. It probably does more good than some of the other things I'm doing. I may start doing that for two lessons per day, the 10th back and the 9th. This way I'll write out each lesson twice.

Is anybody else thinking about what they plan to do when the passive wave is done? I spend most of my time with the passive material. I'll be done in 5 weeks and when the passive work is done I'll have extra time on my hands. My library has Teach Yourself Chinese, so I'm going to grab that and look it over. I'm sure there's more to be learned there, new vocabulary as well as words already covered in Assimil. I also saw someone at Amazon that reviewed Assimil recommend Schaum's Chinese Grammar. The reviews are generally positive. What's also nice about that one is it has pinyin throughout, which is what I need. I'm not learning characters at this point. My goal is a basic competency with the spoken only.

1 person has voted this message useful

rahdonit
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 6400 days ago

50 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English, German

Message 266 of 344
21 February 2013 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Le Grec ancien sans peine
Lessons 1-38

After some hesitation I decided to stop (or hopefully postpone) learning Ancient Greek. Despite the fact that I grew to like the language very much and certainly would like to continue studying it, I feel that Assimil alone is not enough for this task and I would have benefited a lot by supplementing my studies with a more grammar-oriented course, which would require in its turn additional time for studies. Also starting two new languages at the same time (Ancient Greek and Turkish) did not prove to work (for me 1,5h daily is essential for a language and I could not find this time for each of them).
I definitely can recommend Assimil Ancient Greek but only together with a solid “classical” textbook. For myself, I would supplement Assimil with Учебник древнегреческого языка http://www.greeklatin.narod.ru/grk1/index.htm - in addition to very thorough grammar explanation it has very nice texts.

3 persons have voted this message useful

rahdonit
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 6400 days ago

50 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English, German

Message 267 of 344
21 February 2013 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Türkisch ohne Mühe
Passive wave – Lessons 1-46
Active wave – Lessons 1-11

In short, I am very content with Assimil Turkish. The dialogues are interesting, new words recur periodically. Grammatical concepts are also very well introduced, probably almost mathematical Turkish grammar helps.
The active wave is still rather easy, but lessons become more difficult starting from around lesson 25 and I wonder how it goes after that.

3 persons have voted this message useful

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 268 of 344
21 February 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Le norvégien sans peine - lesson 30

Unfortunately, I confess I dropped out of the experiment at lesson 30, due to lack of time and motivation to be
honest. I can't stick to one method only and I missed dictionaries, grammar books. I was just dying to have a
look at the other self tuition books I own (teach yourself , colloquial Norwegian, le norvégien en 20 leçons...)
Next time I want to tackle Norwegian, I won't be using only Assimil. Moreover I chose a language which was
not my number one priority (it is Italian this year, and I am at a stage where Assimil is not enough) hence
perhaps the lack of motivation! :)

Edited by agantik on 21 February 2013 at 3:35pm

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6015 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 269 of 344
21 February 2013 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm not in the "experiment" per se, but I just made it through the first 50 units of Le norvégien sans peine for the
team Viking TAC challenge.

As others have pointed out, Assimil seems to do a much better job with languages closer to one's native language. I
am finding the method working well so far for Norwegian. (It wasn't so good for Chinese and Arabic!)    I will point
out that my Norwegian reading skills at this point are much better than my comprehension which is far, far better
than my speaking skills!    Maybe that will improve with the Active Phase.     My mission with Assimil is to use it to
get a core vocabulary "base" and then move on to a more comprehensive grammar text and speak with more
Norwegian speakers.    Yes, Assimil Norwegian is pretty good so far, but one needs supplementary methods to
make it to B1!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 270 of 344
21 February 2013 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
I have been through Norwegian Assimil and I think I got too much unnecessary vocabulary for a "faux-débutant" stage. There were so many household words which I can't even say in my native language! I'm sure a native English speaker will be able to detect the similarity of these words which are often Germanic-root cognates, but for me I kind of spend a long time leanring what I still don't need while I needed to know so much stuff that was taught "en passant".

liddytime, I'm sure you'll enjoy it much more when you come to try reading novels or even using the intermediate textbooks. In the case of Norwegian, there seem to be only monolingual intermediate textbooks, but they look quite nice!

Now, for the experiment: like I said here, I decided to take Russian without Toil instead of doing a canonical active wave for Il nuovo russo senza sforzo; so far it seems to be working out; I'm at lesson 16 and I'm not having much trouble translating English-Russian, so I assume it would also be easy if I tried to do this with Assimil Il nuovo russo senza sforzo (well maybe not that easy because this edition is insane when it comes to vocabulary as it only has 70 lessons, but still...you see the point I'm trying to make).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 271 of 344
21 February 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
[...] but for me I kind of spend a long time leanring what I still don't need while I needed to know so much stuff that was taught "en passant".

...and how! Important stuff is taught in passing and then later, you're foreover wanting to find these little bits but can't remember where it was...

Anyway, here's where I'm at with Romanian:

Passive: lesson 83
Active: lesson 30

As a reference, lessons 82 (quick re-read of 81) and 29 took me almost an hour last night -- lesson 29 was one heck of a heavy lesson with every line having new (AND mostly useless) nouns and verb forms.

At best, I might be A2... at best. Finishing the passive wave won't do much to improve that, but by the time I'm done the active wave, who knows.

Marishka
United States
Joined 5034 days ago

25 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, Dutch

Message 272 of 344
21 February 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Dutch With Ease

Passive Wave: Lessons 71-77
Active Wave: Lessons 50-56

Flarioca wrote:
Marishka wrote:
For anyone else experiencing boredom or burn-out, what are you doing to stay motivated? Are we allowed to watch films, listen to music or read books in our target language during this experiment?

I would say: Absolutely! I've already started to read "Sandàlies D'Escuma". Once there is nothing more new to read or listen on Assimil, getting other stuff is the only way. Moreover, this is how we'll find out how much one already knows. Of course, since some languages are much easier, the difficulty levels of this extra material will be different for each of us.

Thanks, Flarioca! I took your advice and I'm so glad I did. As it turned out, I had something on hand to read that was perfect for my current level of Dutch.

When I first started learning French, I bought the audio book A Moi Paris from the French Today website. You can listen to and read this book for free on the website, but I bought the entire package, which included MP3s and pdfs of the book, bilingual workbook, and Q&A exercise book, and pdfs of the book translated into Spanish, Portuguese, German, Russian, Romanian, Hindi and Dutch. The Dutch translation of this book was just what I needed right now.

As Flarioca pointed out, reading something outside of Assimil was a great way to find out how much I've actually learned from my Assimil studies. Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm just spinning my wheels and not really learning that much, but reading A Moi Paris in Dutch was almost as easy as reading English, so I've obviously learned something!

Reading an easy book in Dutch was fun and pulled me out of the Assimil doldrums. After I got the snap back in my garter, I plunged back into the passive wave where I left off at lesson 71. It took almost two weeks to complete lessons 71-77 of the passive wave and lessons 50-56 of the active wave, but I finally got through it. One more week and I'll be finished with the passive wave. :-)

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version