Brazil
Joined 5642 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 273 of 344
22 February 2013 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Marishka wrote:
Thanks, Flarioca! I took your advice and I'm so glad I did. As it turned out, I had something on hand to read that was perfect for my current level of Dutch.

You're welcome! I'm quite sure that this experiment has already been very useful. I've read all messages and we've sure learned a lot about this method, which is certainly among the best available, although for some specific languages there might be better options.

Besides, we shouldn't blame Assimil about our strict methodology. We all know that people are different and language learning clearly depends on how far a given target differs from your native and known languages. On the other hand, if we've allowed any approach from the very beginning, this experiment wouldn't be as interesting.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4649 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 274 of 344
26 February 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
duplicate

Edited by kanewai on 26 February 2013 at 9:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4649 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 275 of 344
26 February 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Le Grec Ancien

I stalled out again at lesson 67 - I just could not get past it, or untangle it. There
were too many verb tenses to "assimilate," and I can only recognize first person present
tense, and the future-infinitive.   I'm going to spend some time again doing the chapters
on present and future tense verbs with my old Teach Yourself, and then come back
to Assimil. I feel like I need a stronger base to work from.

My previous block happened around lesson 35.

JSBR_C
United States
Joined 4075 days ago

19 posts - 38 votes
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 276 of 344
27 February 2013 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
Chinese With Ease

Passive: 70-77
Active: 21-28

Everything continues fine. Errors during active translations are more numerous, but then the dialogues are longer so this is not surprising. I did my first Skype session with a native speaker in China. That was hard and I struggled a lot, but I suppose that is also not surprising.

I also spoke to several strangers on different occasions. Where I work we have a small handful of Chinese people. Two Chinese walked into our coffee room and I've been waiting for an opportunity to spring some Chinese at a time like this. So they are talking amongst themselves and I can't understand them, but one is mixing coffee with cream and sugar and there's a pause in their conversation and I say "Ni xihuan tang he niu nai gen ni de kafei ma?" (You like sugar and milk with your coffee?) They were stunned. "You speak Chinese? Who is teaching you, etc?" Very complimentary about my pronunciation, kind of happy to see a guy like me learning their language. I look nothing like somebody that would be speaking Chinese. Blonde hair, blue eyes, tall. Anyway, it was a lot of fun. That's what it's all about for me. Interacting with people. So I'm kind of pleased.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 277 of 344
01 March 2013 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
Assimil Roumain

Passive: 88
Active: 34

I've decided to implement a grading system for myself in order to have an idea of how
the active phase is going. Initially, I removed a point for every mistake (only one per
word though) divided by the total number of words, but I think it's more appropriate to
remove a point only when I can't find the right word at all, and half a point when
there is a mistake in the word (wrong letter or ending). With this grading system, I
got 140.5/164 for lesson 33, ie. 85.7%. I think that's ok. I do feel like this is
sinking in, and was even doing a fair bit of self-talk on the way home today, despite
my dismal vocabulary.

I started reading a book called
Stand Alone
Romanian
and I could really see how scattered Assimil is in comparison. Of
course, Assimil is not a grammar book, but for something as simple as the definite
article, they present a nice, clean table where you can see right away what's what.
Maybe it's a matter of learning style, but I much prefer to see the whole thing and get
a good overview of the grammar first. I might just set Assimil aside for a few days in
order to read more of that grammar manual.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 278 of 344
04 March 2013 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
I can't believe no one else has posted here in several days...

I'm now at lessons 36/89.

In lesson 34 (35 was a review), I got 89.8% (with the grading system I explained in
post 277 above).

I've slowed down, but it's because I've been reading other sources and writing on Lang-
8. I do feel that some of what was initially a big hodgepodge is starting to make sense
and be less entangled, but I wouldn't go so far as to thank Assimil for that. I'm not
losing interest, and I wouldn't thank Assimil for that either.

As I commented on my Tandem Log (if I dare capitalize), no program like Assimil can
explain or present things clearly enough for someone to understand it all -- only a
certain amount of self-directed production will allow that information to sink in
properly. In other words, I suspect those will turn out to have been the most
successful with Assimil will be those who have ventured away from it or who have
supplemented it with self-talk, written production or conversation attempts.

JSBR_C
United States
Joined 4075 days ago

19 posts - 38 votes

Message 279 of 344
05 March 2013 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Chinese With Ease

Passive: 78-84
Active: 29-35

I'm about 3 months in and this program is advertised as making you comfortable with the language in 3 months, conversational in 6. Has it achieved that? "Comfortable" is a fairly vague word, so I guess I can't say this has not been achieved. I can construct many different expressions in my head if I need to. Listening to native speakers is still near impossible for me. I'm lost very quickly even though they try to speak simply. Reaching a conversational level still seems like it will be a stretch. Progress continues though so I'm not complaining.

JSBR_C
United States
Joined 4075 days ago

19 posts - 38 votes

Message 280 of 344
06 March 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Is it just you and me left Arekkusu? Where is Marishka? I like to read Marishka's updates. Perhaps people are dropping off because this is a tough segment of the process. When you are doing the later passive lessons you have to spend a good amount of time. The new passive lesson is tough. You're translating active material that is getting complex. This is perhaps the tough period. Are we losing people?

I've read that the Chinese series is a little less complex than typical. I did lesson 87 today. Only 5 new words, and that includes the words in the notes. In the early lessons it was more typical to see 15-20. So I guess for me it's not especially difficult at this stage. The active translations are more work, but the passive isn't bad.

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version