Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 297 of 344
03 April 2013 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
How is everyone holding up?

Quick update:
Assimil Roumain -- Active wave, lesson 52.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 298 of 344
03 April 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm at lesson 49 of Russian Without Toil and I must say replacing a second wave with another edition of the book was a wise idea. Things start to get more systematic and consolidated now, especially the grammar. I'm still not comfortable with translating into Russian, but I'm starting to get used to the vocabulary.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6011 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 299 of 344
04 April 2013 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
I am still trying to work my way through Le Norvégien Sans Peine. I am
up to Leksjon 70 of the passive phase. I tried doing the active phase, but I just don't have enough time for both
phases concurrently. Instead of the active phase, I have just been downloading sentences into Anki and reviewing
them when I have a spare moment.   

My impressions with Assimil have been mixed. I have found that reading Norwegian is hands down my best skill so
far. (similar to last month)    My comprehension is "OK" (podcasts, news broadcasts etc...) and my speaking/conversational skills are still
horrible! I wonder if the discrepancy is because Assimil throws so much new vocabulary at the student in such a short time.   Thus, there is no way
one can recall this vast vocabulary and "pull the words out of the air" when trying to speak. When reading a passage on the other hand, it is easier
to figure out the words from context. I'm getting pretty burned out on it right now but I keep telling myself, "only
30 units to go!!"

Edited by liddytime on 04 April 2013 at 5:45am

oruixo13
Triglot
Australia
Joined 4201 days ago

33 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: FrenchB2, Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Mandarin

Message 300 of 344
04 April 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
My humble conclusion is that Assimil is just another translation method based book.
Maybe the best in its kind, but a left-brain method nonetheless.
Applied to Chinese is very confusing due to lack of characters training.
The fact that Professor Arguelles recommends it certainly make us try it.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 301 of 344
04 April 2013 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Le Breton, lesson 70 active wave completed today.

I definitely have an idea of how to read Breton, write some sentences, have an idea of
how to pronounce it. But I am not functional. Would put my level at an A2 or so. If I
could supplement Assimil right now with extensive speaking practice, and some external
written sources, I could hit B2 in 6 months. But I didn't have that time and this is
Breton so resources are thin on the ground.

Edited by tarvos on 04 April 2013 at 5:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 302 of 344
04 April 2013 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Don't you have access to the other editions of Breton, tarvos? I assume there are at least 3 different Assimil books. Still, it's quite encouraging to think you reached A2 and you could have reached B2 in six months. I would never be able to say that of my Russian after being halfway through my second Assimil book.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 303 of 344
04 April 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
No, I don't think I do. And I would probably need another 6 months right now is what I
meant. Mostly because I have been less consistent the past few months. I think the big
step towards "conversational level" is the one that takes the most time. The learning
curve of a new language can be steep if it contains many unfamiliar grammatical
features and unrelated vocabulary. But on the whole, if you have to deal with an Indo-
european language and an alphabet, or a Semitic language like Hebrew, then B2 in a year
is a very realistic goal. In some languages you can do it in 3 or 6 months. It all
depends on your background. If I had to spend my time fulltime on Breton and use
Assimil as my main textbook, then I probably would have hit B2 much earlier.

Russian took me somewhat longer too, I would say I am a high B1 low B2 right now (can
carry on conversation without strain). I think all in all I spent like... a year and a
half to get to this level, although the first three months did not mean so much. There
have been some interruptions where I did less Russian. I would say that it is possible
to get to conversational Russian within a year (not native fluency) given that you
supplement Assimil with other materials and lots of speaking practice.

But if you use Assimil on the spot while also supplementing it with loads of speaking
practice and native speakers, it works, because usually the method is fun. I think
older editions of books are more thorough, but sometimes they lack essentials (the
Romanian one lacks a good glossary or an appendix, f.e.). Assimil taught me some things
I actually have come across later in conversations.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 304 of 344
04 April 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
After a month of going through a grammar book I went back to Greek last night. It did not
go well. I had left off on Lesson 67 (passive). I went back as far as Lesson 30 before
I felt comfortable with the text.

I think the problem with ancient Greek, and other 'hard' languages, is that it is too
foreign, and there is simply too much to cram into a slim text book, and yet Assimil
crams it all in. By comparison, the old Teach Yourself is designed to take two years, and
that is a pretty hard-core course.

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version