33 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: FrenchB2, Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Mandarin

Message 329 of 344
28 May 2013 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
For those who studied Chinese; how does Assimil deal with the tones? If
there will be an
Assimil purchase in the near future, my guess it will be Le Chinois (or maybe Finnisch
ohne Mühe).

Accent marks on the pinyin below the characters.

Edited by oruixo13 on 29 May 2013 at 8:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 330 of 344
28 May 2013 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
tarvos, Assimil has an introduction on overall phonology (tones, initials and finals) then ir marks tones at pinyin. It gives pinyin for everything, either texts or exercises. I don't know what you have in mind though.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4467 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 331 of 344
28 May 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
It also gives you the Chinese characters I am assuming? Good.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 332 of 344
28 May 2013 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Ah sure, it has simplified characters, pinyin, an auxiliary French pronunciation (during the first lessons), literal word-by-word translations and idiomatic translations

eggcluck
China
Joined 4461 days ago

168 posts - 278 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 333 of 344
29 May 2013 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
I found the literal translations the most helpful and thus all my flash cards if I cant quite get an comprehensible answer in Chinese I will use a literal translation. I found it makes the Chinese sentence structure feel much more natural to me after a while.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 334 of 344
29 May 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
You have a point here, eggcluck. Literal translations are what pleased me the most about Assimil. I can learn a lot of grammar just by comparing the literal translation with the original and the accurate translation. I don't need to read that "the adjective comes before the noun", I just have to check the literal translation and realize that.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4475 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 335 of 344
30 May 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
O Novo Francês Sem Esforço - Leçons 84-91:

Wow, I'm almost finishing the passive wave! One more week and I'll be done with it.
This passive block was overall a little harder than the last one, especially when they put idioms and expressions. My listening compreehension was ok.
The active phase was also a little harder, I had trouble remembering words like "haricots", "ouvreuse", "pourboire", "bijoux", but nothing really important (go say that to my wife =P).
The review lesson was nice, focusing on word order, particles "en" and "y" again and pronouns like "moi-même".
Just one thing. On lesson 89 or 90 they introduced a way to form questions in French, with "a-t-il", like "Quand le Tour de France, a-t-il été créé?". @Tarvos has already explained it to me, but that's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. The subject is already there! Why repeat it!? The French.... =P

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4969 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 336 of 344
17 June 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Sadly, after a few aborted attemps at starting (and restarting; and yet again restarting) my Assimil Italian, I
have to confess that - given that it's now mid-year with no progress - I'll have to concede to a "DNF" status
with this language for now.   (Due to scheduling conflicts, it seems that my travel plans for Italy may have to
be postponed till later in any case.)

But I've been following others' efforts, and hope to resume at some stage in the future. It's been a
really interesting thread. - Thanks, Kanewai, and others!

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version