Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

When to start using TL->TL dictionaries?

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1
James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5176 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 9 of 12
28 October 2012 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
I like the monolingual dictionaries that are designed for foreigners. When I was in the Dominican Republic I saw a monolingual Spanish dictionary for "extranjeros." It was entirely in Spanish, but the explanations were all in fairly basic Spanish. When there was something too difficult to describe in basic Spanish they would often use a small picture to help. I was a beginner/intermediate at the time and I thought it looked like a very useful tool. I wish I bought it. I tried to find it in Amazon and could not find the one I was looking at. There are some others, however, that look similar.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cheerbelle7
Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4225 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Levantine), French

Message 10 of 12
03 November 2012 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Just my two cents, but I think it helps to switch over to the monolingual dictionary once you are at the level that you can start reading native language materials. If you can watch moview w/o subtitles and read books without translation, I think that you are ready to use the monolingual dictionary. It pushes you more to learn vocabulary from context which is a very important skill for all languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5952 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 11 of 12
06 November 2012 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
There are some very good mono-lingual dictionaries for language learners. I'm currently using the following for French,

Dictionnaire du français langue étrangère

The dictionary gives example sentences for nearly every definition.

For Spanish, I really like the following,

El Pequeño Larousse Ilustrado 2011
Diccionario básico de uso de la lengua española

The Larousse isn't intended for learners, but is a very enjoyable and detailed encyclopedia with numerous pictures. The Diccionario básico is intended for learners and includes a number of verb conjugations. It's good, but nothing compared to the French dictionary.

Edited by DaraghM on 06 November 2012 at 12:49pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6504 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 12
06 November 2012 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
I sometimes use dictionaries on the internet which have a large number of example sentences for any given word, or I use Google to give me examples from real life. But one single example is not much - or more precisely formulated: if one example is enough then that word can't be a big problem. In cases where there are many construction possibilities and fixed expressions it is also nice to get each one explained and exemplified - but generally the precise demarcation of each variant is more useful than an isolated example. And with languages I don't understand very well I would always prefer having the explanation/translation in a language I understand realy well. As I have stated in other threads the only thing that can make me use a monolingual dictionary is the added information about morphology, syntax and idiomatics. An explanation in the same language that sent me to my bookshelf for instantaneous assistance will generally just add to the confusion.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version