AvidLearner
Hexaglot
Germany
Joined 5639 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish

Message 1 of 2
28 October 2012 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
I am currently volunteering in Russia. My work involves (among many other activities) teaching German and English. In particular, I will start teaching retired citizens basic English next Wednesday. Apparently, they all learned English at school (and, to some extent, at university), but their language skills have almost certainly sunk to oblivion after decades without practice.

I am considering an approach de-emphasizing Grammar and written language. The direct method comes to mind, but the few materials I have found so far are disappointing.

To end on a positive note, I remark that the centre I'll be teaching at has an unexpected range of IT equipment (including a projector and one desktop computer per participant). What is more, I have even been assured that all participants have acquired some degree of computer and internet literacy at the centre. It is also expected that they have a desktop or laptop computer and internet access at home.

What suggestions do you have?
What is your experience in teaching under similar conditions?
Are there any websites or teaching materials you can recommend?
1 person has voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4417 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 2
28 October 2012 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
I am not really sure that less stress on written language is a right approach for this age group.

Keep in mind, that these people (especially like you will meet at the centre) are often reading more than current younger generation. I know that it is generalization and not true for all of them, but they may be interested in reading books or news more than real conversation. And they will probably meet the written language more often than the spoken one. Ask them in the beginning, which part of the language they want to emphasize, what they expect from the course.

I would probably try to get the details and small problems out of way first. Starting with selection of the materials: for example in German - the formal speech (Sie-Form) should be practiced more and material containing lot of slang is probably not what should be used. This may be a problem of "modern, hip" language sources.
On the practical side - avoid material using small font - when using news, copy an article to a bigger format or use online version and big fonts.

I find such small, often overlooked hurdles can make a big difference in success. Language learning is hard enough on its own and trying to decipher small print or too silent audio shouldn't complicate it even more.
2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version