Archival
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4239 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 1 of 10
29 October 2012 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
I now have to learn German for work but I haven't spoken it for 5 years. When I stopped studying it in 2007 my
level was probably lower advanced and I had a decent level of fluency.

Recently I've tried to speak it and found that I have lost virtually all my vocabulary and my grammar is very rusty.
Does anyone have any tips on how to go about recovering my former level? I have plenty of motivation and time on
my hands but no idea where to start.
1 person has voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4468 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 10
29 October 2012 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
It all depends how much have you forgotten and how much is simply hidden because of disuse.
Was your only problem speaking? I mean - did you understand? Have you still decent level of passive knowledge?

I was in this situation with several of my languages, one of them was English. This one was easy - I took part in one language course over 4 days, tested at C1 level but was unable to speak, and when I was leaving, I had the speaking ability back. I talked in simple sentences but could speak about everything. 3 weeks in Britain 2 months later took care of the rest.

I am in a very different situation with my French - I have learned it much faster then English, to a slightly lower level and lost it completely. I was perhaps able to decipher French like an English-speaking natives would be - there are lot of cognates - but nothing more. Here, I had to start from the beginning. I simply picked my old textbooks and started at the first page. I can see faster progress then when I was in my teens and learned French for the first time. In the year I am working on my French, I have back perhaps 3 years of my previous learning. Parts of it were easy, like a reminder was enough to activate grammar or vocabulary, but sometimes even beginner grammar did surprise me, like I have never seen it before.

You need to look at your situation and see which of the two extremes is your case. Look at online news or at books or at wikipedia in German, see if you can understand. And if yes, start writing and speaking - summarize what you have read, what did happen to you during the day (repeat the conversations in German). Don't mind starting in broken language - if you are simply rusty, it will come back quickly. Grab a grammar book (even a short online summary) and look it through, to remind yourself.

Unfortunately, if you cannot understand any more, the fastest way could be to start from beginning.

Edited by Majka on 29 October 2012 at 5:54pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6826 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 10
30 October 2012 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Archival wrote:
Does anyone have any tips on how to go about recovering my former level?

This happened to me with Italian, Portuguese and, to a much lesser extent, German. The only thing I could do was start from the beginning again, although it's going faster this time.

Edited by patuco on 30 October 2012 at 1:41am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 10
30 October 2012 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
How long do you have before people will start expecting you to produce something?
And will the job entail travel to Germany or a German speaking country?

If you can quickly get your hands on a Michel Thomas course(library?), it might be worth going through that and see if it sparks any memories.

And you could be having a browse through Deutsche Welle online, both the general stuff and the material aimed at learners.

Edited by montmorency on 30 October 2012 at 11:21am

2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 5 of 10
30 October 2012 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Here's another vote in support of "start again from the beginning." Though like patuco
mentioned, you should be able to learn at a much faster rate the second (or third) time
around.

I've tried to rekindle lost or latent languages using podcasts, movies, and fun stuff,
but it never worked. Courses worked.

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5202 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 6 of 10
30 October 2012 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
After about 6-7 years of French study in high school/college I stopped for several
years until I went back to school and decided to study abroad in France. Suddenly I had
to revive my French and get it ready for upper level courses and immersion in a French
university. At first I just couldn't talk. I'd open my mouth and nothing would come
out. Then I got TV5 Monde and after about a month of watching constantly the rust
started to clear away. A lot started coming back to me and I was able to produce
language again. By the end of that month I started an upper-division French class, had
some trouble at first being able to follow a lecture and take notes at the same time
but it came back to me. I found what suffered most was my mastery over irregular verbs
and some of the tougher conjugations as well as some vocabulary and distinction over
gender.

I think the distinction Majke made over a language you've learned over a long period
and one learned more quickly is accurate. If after listening and getting some exposure
(try for some materials aimed at intermediate learners at first or an easy
newscast/documentary program so as to not get discouraged by something too hard) you
find that there are some foundations there then continue on as an intermediate learner.
If it's really gone then start over (though hopefully you'll find a lot coming back to
you). In either case I'd recommend Michel Thomas as well - it can smooth out your
mastery of the basic structure of the language or it can give you a quick re-
introduction if you need to start over.    
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 10
31 October 2012 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
I think the distinction Majke made over a language you've learned over a long period and one learned more quickly is accurate.
And LR is an extreme case of it, I think :) That's what I would do, as this is what I prefer to do as a beginner anyway.

OP, it's not really about the textbooks used but about the techniques (although some textbooks won't fit certain techniques). Have a look at this page: http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Techniques Also, lyricstraining.com should help you rediscover the joy of learning German if you haven't yet. It might not be the most efficient thing to do if you need the language for work, but it's addictive and will help with the confidence, motivation and more specifically with the pronunciation.

Also, in my experience, listening activates the words for further use in conversations while reading activates your writing skills. Do both, regardless of what you need for the job. You may want to start with easy readers and podcasts for learners.

Edited by Serpent on 31 October 2012 at 3:09am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 10
31 October 2012 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I've tried to rekindle lost or latent languages using podcasts, movies, and fun stuff, but it never worked. Courses worked.
But this works even from the beginning (AJATT).

Forgot another rec: lang-8.com - a place to get your texts corrected.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version