Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
erinserb
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 7007 days ago

135 posts - 144 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 3
30 October 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
French continues to fascinate me - I will always have an interest in gaining a proficiency. Lately, I have become more than interested in Japanese. I have an understanding of what the language entails - 3 alphabets, a definite list of Kanji set at around 2,000 characters for literacy, the grammar, etc.

However, it is such a beautiful country and culture (actually both France and Japan are beautiful).

My question is, can they be learned simultaneously? Particularly can they be learned if I put discipline into learning at least a portion of Japanese per day? The French (of course) doesn't place the demands and they are linguistically separate.

Anyone have some ideas?

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 3
30 October 2012 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
I can certainly be done, but you are effectively making both languages longer to learn. I think Japanese would take you at least 3 times longer than French.

However, by doing both at once, unless you are a determined and avid learner willing to study regularly, you run the risk of spreading the learning over such a long period of time that there would be too much wasted time bringing back forgotten material.

There is nothing wrong with trying and figuring it out for yourself.

erinserb
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 7007 days ago

135 posts - 144 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 3
31 October 2012 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Thanks, and yes those are definitely things to keep in mind. Perhaps better to just concentrate, first, on French - I will feel like I am making more progress in taking French first.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version