France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 33 of 51
14 November 2012 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Well, I can produce both sounds, of course, but I don't think I'd notice if anyone used one instead of the other in any of my languages. (Dutch is out of the equation here as I have too little active knowledge)
It's curious that [x] clearly sounds different to anyone who can already produce a [h], yet if your native language is [x]-only, [h] will sound the same to you unless you're learning a language where they are contrasted.

Indeed, and Spanish people have the same problem as Russians with the [h] sound. I know many Spaniards who, when speaking English, will either drop the [h] altogether, so "air" and "hair" sounds the same, or they pronounce it close to the Spanish "jota".
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4838 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 34 of 51
14 November 2012 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
How familiar are you with Polish?
When it's spelt ia it's exactly that, the i is not pronounced but just denotes
palatalization. for example biały.

Я польского языка не знаю, но, насколько я понимаю, большинство пар по твердости-
мягкости в русском понимании там исчезло. То есть не с-сь, а с-щ, что уже, в общем-то,
французу должно быть понятно. н-нь во французском уже есть. Губные согласные, если верить
Википедии, фактически произносятся как сочетания согласных с иотом (кроме как перед и), а
на конце слов не встречаются. Даже если Википедии не верить, мы знаем, что всякие русские
"бя", где йота никакого нет, воспринимаются иностранцами как бья и с "ба" не путаются.
То есть трудно воспринимать разницу между ś и sz, а не между s ś. In short: it's hard
to perceive the difference between ś and sz, not s and ś.

Edited by Марк on 14 November 2012 at 4:21pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 35 of 51
14 November 2012 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
B_Hutt wrote:
I have had an unbelievably hard time with the Dutch 'G', or more
specifically, the hard g followed by a rolling 'r'. I tend to trill from the roof of my
mouth, always have- even when speaking Russian- so doing it from the back of my throat is
incredibly difficult for me.

I also find the 'ui' sound hard to make, as in "huis". UGH!

You are allowed to trill the r like that in Dutch. It is not perfectly standard, but it
is the only form that is considered correct in Belgium (unless you speak Brussels or
Ghent dialect) and plenty of dialects in Dutch have it (Amsterdam, low Saxon dialects,
etc).

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5548 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 36 of 51
14 November 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
I won't go quite as far as to say I can't pronounce it, but I have a difficult time with
the "z" sound in Mandarin. I'm getting a lot better with practice apparently but it's one
of the few sounds I've had to work on actively that was just plain wrong at the
beginning. When I first got here nearly a month ago it was wrong nine times out of ten,
and when I managed it by fluke I was never able to produce it a second time. Once I began
to learn words with said sound in them it got better a bit faster, but I'd say it still
gives me trouble.

Edited by LanguageSponge on 14 November 2012 at 3:53pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 38 of 51
15 November 2012 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Tadeo wrote:
Can we include sound combinations? I can pronounce all of the Russian phonemes, no problem at all, but there are TWO combinations I just can't for the life of me do:

шр as in маршрут

I don't want to nitpick, but the ш and the р in маршрут belong to two different sillables, so you have to pronounce them seperately anyway.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 39 of 51
16 November 2012 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
Are you able to pronounce mushroom?:)

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4838 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 40 of 51
16 November 2012 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Tadeo wrote:
Can we include sound combinations? I can pronounce all
of the Russian phonemes, no problem at all, but there are TWO combinations I just can't
for the life of me do:

шр as in маршрут

I don't want to nitpick, but the ш and the р in маршрут belong to two different
sillables, so you have to pronounce them seperately anyway.

Do you pronounce all the syllables separately? Anyway there are words like шрам.

Edited by Марк on 16 November 2012 at 8:57am

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version