Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4746 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 1 of 5
10 November 2012 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
170 US dollars, it was a real rip-off, but the school I will apply to requires it, so I had no choice. The writing was very easy, the listening and speaking were very difficult for me, these are my weak points, and the reading was average. The vocabulary questions in the reading section were extremely easy, middle school level vocabulary, really. I had brushed up my vocabularies for about a week registering around 500 words for TOEFL in Anki, but it wasn't even necessary. Overall, it was a disappointing experience. My speaking & listening level sucks... In 2001, I scored 280 on CBT but back then I didn't have to speak... And my listening ability doesn't seem to have gotten any better from before. My realistic goal is to score 90 points (out of 120, we take IBT test over here)
One thing I'm curious about, according to the criteria set by the school, it seems that 90 points on TOEFL IBT is roughly equivalent to 900 points on TOEIC. Is TOEIC that easy? Because when I did some sample TOEIC questions in high school, I found the listening ones quite difficult. Does it differ from people to people?

Edited by Ojorolla on 10 November 2012 at 9:33am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4746 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 

Message 2 of 5
20 November 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
I checked the ETS site today and my score was out:
Reading - 29/30, Listening - 23/30, Speaking - 23/30, Writing - 29/30, 104/120 in total
It's much better than I expected.
I took another test on Sunday so I'll see how my score turns out this time around.

On another note, I got my TOEIC score some days ago:
Listening - 430/495, Reading - 495/495, 925/990 in total
I don't understand how I got a perfect score in the reading section because I didn't have the time to read the last text so I marked random answers for 3~4 questions. Well, it's good.

melkior79
Japan
Joined 4412 days ago

16 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin, French

Message 3 of 5
20 November 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your results!
My students in Japan always stress out about them!

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 4 of 5
20 November 2012 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations! Your scores are really good! I hope you get accepted into your school.

Do you listen to a lot of English? Just in case you still want to improve your listening I recommend making some routine to listen to English media regularly (if you don't already). It should only take time and not much effort to improve if your listening is so strong.

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4746 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 

Message 5 of 5
20 November 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Thanks all for your comments:)

druckfehler wrote:
Do you listen to a lot of English? Just in case you still want to improve your listening I recommend making some routine to listen to English media regularly (if you don't already). It should only take time and not much effort to improve if your listening is so strong.

I used to watch some American series with English subtitles when I had more free time in my life. The last series I watched is probably My Name is Earl. And I tried listening to NPR while I was doing my military service, which didn't last long. Listening is most likely my weakest point, so I'll probably follow your advice of routinely listening to English media when my entrance exam will be over in January.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version