Canada
mikonnen.blogsp
Joined 6636 days ago

54 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*, Cantonese*
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 1 of 9
19 July 2006 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
I've been re-reading some of Ardaschir's posts on the forum about language learning and an interesting thing that I read was that he published a few books on the Korean language, one of which is his "A Historical, Literary, and Cultural Approach to the Korean Language." I'm very interested in his methods and was wondering if anyone has tried this book and their accompanying tapes. If so, were they as effective as some other language courses (such as Assimil or FSI?) Also, were the tapes in good condition? (I ask this because I don't really trust cassette tapes; the FSI Korean's tapes that I got were in such poor condition that if they were in English, I would have to strain my ear to understand them.) Finally, are there any places where I can find this text along with the tape recordings? I've searched on Amazon.com but it seems that they only have the paperback with no tapes.
1 person has voted this message useful

braveb
United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 6982 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 2 of 9
20 July 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
I also want to know the content of the book. I posted a thread about it a while ago, and nobody answered.

pentatonic
United States
Joined 7032 days ago

221 posts - 245 votes 

Message 3 of 9
20 July 2006 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
The ISBN of the book with three tapes is 1565911660. Here are a couple of links:

koreanbook.de

amazon.co.uk

Edited by pentatonic on 20 July 2006 at 8:13pm

braveb
United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 6982 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 4 of 9
20 July 2006 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Oopps, I guess someone did answer my thread. Sorry virgule, I forgot. Here is the link and Virgule's review:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=2570&KW=braveb

miKonnen
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Canada
mikonnen.blogsp
Joined 6636 days ago

54 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*, Cantonese*
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 9
20 July 2006 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Ah! Thank you very much, braveb! (How could I not see that while searching?!)

virgule
Antarctica
Joined 6625 days ago

242 posts - 261 votes 
Studies: Korean

Message 6 of 9
13 August 2006 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
In addition to what I mentioned in the other thread... I cannot compare to Assimil, as I have never tried their books. Compared to FSI, the book is much more up-to-date (no outdated words), and the tapes are in a much better condition. No quality problems like the FSI recordings. However, there are no oral drills. You can use the tapes to follow the speakers, though.

Some of the exercises are recorded on the tape, too; but I failed to understand the benefit of that. I bought the book and the tapes from the German shop linked here; but if you are in the US, it might be cheaper to buy direct from the publisher.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6553 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 7 of 9
24 September 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
I know this is an old thread I'm resurrecting, but it is on the first page of this new sub-forum. :)

I don't suppose anyone knows if there are CDs for this book now? If not, has anyone gone to the trouble of making MP3s from the tapes? (I have no way of playing an audio cassette nowadays.)

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7041 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 8 of 9
30 September 2007 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Both the book and the audio materials should be available directly from the publisher, Hollym International Corp.

I was very flattered to read the favorable reviews of this method, and indeed somewhat happily surprised to find that they even included the tapes. I was not particularly happy with the recordings, for I had my own ideas about how should be done, but the publishers preferred to rely upon their own experience.

Anyone interested in this method should know that it is really only volume one of a planned series, the rest of which never came into being. Thus, while it is a systematic introduction to the language, if you care to carry your studies to a greater depth, you will have to have recourse to another method. The most thorough and sophisticated of them is Willfried Herrmanns Lerhrbuch der modernen koreanishen Sprache, Helmut Buske Verlag, Hamburg, 1994. It comes with three high quality cassettes containing well over three hours of good recordings of pure narrative Korean.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version