United States
Joined 4541 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 1 of 9
11 November 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone :)

I have been attempting to study Italian now for several months. I am enrolled in my
5th semester of Spanish at my university, and I practice and study Italian on the side.
I have had formal Spanish instruction since the 7th grade, thankfully since I live in
South Florida and we have a large amount of Spanish speaking people from Cuba/Puerto
Rico/etc.

However, lately I have been getting both languages mixed up in my head. I guess I am
finding it difficult to differentiate between the two. Does anyone have any tips or
suggestions on how to keep both languages separate? Or are they "too" similar? I know
that there are successful people who can speak both fluently, but I am finding them
almost too close to tell, as far as the verbs and adjectives are. I am constantly
getting them mixed up when I speak.

My problem though is that I would like to be fluent in BOTH. I am a dual citizen of
the US/Italy, so I would like to show my relatives and cousins that I can indeed speak
their language. I am sure I can get by, due to the similar verbs...but it really isn't
the same. Any suggestions or tips to help keep both languages separate?

1 person has voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6258 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 9
11 November 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Learn one really well.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tw561
United States
Joined 4541 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes

Message 3 of 9
11 November 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
Learn one really well.

This is irrelevant and not really applicable to my question at all.

But "thanks" I guess...

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 9
11 November 2012 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
The tip was relevant: the better you know either, the easier the separation will be. It's
just a matter of practice and getting better. It doesn't have to be "learn one really
well" but more practice will make things clearer for you. Furthermore if you're worried
about mixing them up then that worry isn't doing you a whole lot of good anyway.
Concentrate on what you do know, not what you don't know

Furthermore, if you lack a word, the gap can usually be filled by assuming it's the same
word in the other language (spelled differently or something). It's more of an advantage
I'd say.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Itikar
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4480 days ago

94 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: Italian*

Message 5 of 9
12 November 2012 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
They aren't to similiar, at least to a Romance-speaker perspective.
However when Spanish and Italian speakers speak together there are many situations when we can understand each other well. So we can recognize pronunciation is closer in comparison to French and (therefore) cognates are easily recognizable. We are a family after all!

So if I were in your place I wouldn't worry too much. Go on and do not surrender! :)
Then my suggestion could be to try not to study one immediately after the other to avoid confusion. Try also to do a lot of audio training in order to distinguish how they sound and the difference in their intonations.

Good luck and wish you best results. :)

daristani
United States
Joined 6955 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 6 of 9
12 November 2012 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
While I don't have any actual advice on the best ways to keep the two languages distinct, I thought I'd share this link which focuses specifically on the two languages, just in case it might be helpful:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/letchfoa/comparison/comparison. htm
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4450 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 7 of 9
13 November 2012 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Hi tw561. I was pretty much in the same situation as you many years ago when I was at university. I had studied Spanish for a couple of years, including immersion courses in Spain, when I started on Italian. I would be interested to know how exactly you mix them up. In my experience, I tended to use "italianised" Spanish words when speaking Italian. Sometimes I was lucky and got it right, but often it was wrong or it made my Italian sound weird.

Since my Spanish was at a higher level than my Italian, I found it very useful to work a lot on writing Italian. This forced me to think about correct grammar forms, vocabulary and spelling. I relied on a good dictionary and grammar book and of course on feedback from my Italian tutor.

Another trick is to take parallel texts in the two languages to become aware of where they are similar and where they differ.

Apart from that, I can agree that audio training is also useful.

Bottom line is: Work a lot on both languages, identify what exactly you mix up (vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation etc) and concentrate on those issues.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tw561
United States
Joined 4541 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes

Message 8 of 9
13 November 2012 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
While I don't have any actual advice on the best ways to keep the two
languages distinct, I thought I'd share this link which focuses specifically on the two
languages, just in case it might be helpful:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/letchfoa/comparison/comparison. htm

Thank you for this! It is rather fascinating.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version