United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6258 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 25
12 November 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Yes. A lot. Due to my viewing habits I wouldn't
know much of anything without dubbed shows.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 25
13 November 2012 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Certainly. I'm as used to dubbing as Scandinavians are used to subtitles.
I also don't have enough interest in movies in order to find 10-50 per language so I'm VERY grateful for the opportunity to watch the few ones that I like in various languages. And I tend to like movies that can't really teach you anything about the original language's culture anyway.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 25
13 November 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
I tried to watch an episode of Death Note in German, and while the voice acting was decent, the translation was so faithful to the original Japanese. Kinda hilarious when Light was asked to translate a passage into Japanese, and then reads it out in German.

Dubbing "works" as long as there's no trace of languages or nationalities in a movie. No dubbing can make me believe that John Wayne speaks German*. I can read the subtitles (if there are any). I might watch a dubbed movie if it was animated, or if there weren't any subtitles or audio in a language I knew, but as soon as there were subtitles I could understand, I'd use those regardless of the original track. Hypothetical (but not likely) example: I'd prefer original Russian audio and Portuguese subtitles instead of English (dubbed).

* I HAVE watched a fair share of kungfu flicks dubbed into English, but that was in the old days when Chinese movies with original audio was inaccessible. And even as a nine-year old I thought that people should be able to read subtitles instead of dub their movies.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 25
13 November 2012 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Jeff, what if the choice is between dubbed audio in a language you understand and incomprehensible audio+subtitles in a familiar language? For me listening to any non-European language and reading subtitles is hard work. And as useless as watching something in my native language or English.

(That's another reason why I watch dubbed movies. Most of those that interest me are originally in English. Same with books)

Edited by Serpent on 13 November 2012 at 8:59pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 25
13 November 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Sure, assume that there's a movie I'm dying to watch. The original audio track is in Hindi and the subtitles in Basque, but wait, there's another track in English! Yes, I'd probably consider giving it a chance.

Hmm, didn't I just write that?

"I might watch a dubbed movie if it was animated, or if there weren't any subtitles or audio in a language I knew"

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 13 November 2012 at 10:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 14 of 25
13 November 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
I meant Hindi audio+English subtitles vs simply English audio.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 25
14 November 2012 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
If the English audio was a dubbed track and Hindi was the original, I'd choose Hindi audio+English subtitles, no question about that.

I've watched foreign language movies/TV series with original audio+Swedish subtitles long before I even (knew that I) was interested in languages. That includes content in German, French, Spanish, Italian... probably an occasional film in Finnish, Japanese and Hungarian. Probably half a dozen other languages as well. One of the more popular telenovelas in Sweden back in 1989 was the Brazilian "Sinhá Moça", and almost everyone (but me, it seems) watched Italian "La piovra" in the mid eighties. Foreign audio is nothing exceptional, as long as there are subtitles (which nobody read, but rather skim during a split-second).

Enough preaching (for now).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 16 of 25
14 November 2012 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
as long as there are subtitles (which nobody read, but rather skim during a split-second).
That's a skill that has to be learned, though :P Akin to ignoring the fact that the movements of the lips don't match the speech if a movie is dubbed.

Edited by Serpent on 14 November 2012 at 4:44am

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version