Tags: Language School
 Language Learning Forum : Immersion, Schools & Certificates Post Reply
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 5
14 November 2012 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
italki is having a challenge for the remainder of this month: if you manage to take 8
60-minute language classes on their site before the end of November, they will give you
$40 in credits towards language classes. If you sign up for the challenge but don't
manage, they will deduct the equivalent of $10 from your account.

Details: http://www.italki.com/language-challenge/

I think it's an interesting way to motivate yourself to go all-out on language study
for the rest of the month.

There's no shortage of tutors on italki and most charge very low fees, e. g. $6-$10 for
an hour lesson. The quality is often not so great (for quality language teachers try
Myngle), but if you're looking for conversational
lessons or you're ready to take charge of the lessons, you can achieve good results
even with untrained native speakers.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4768 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 5
14 November 2012 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, that seems really nice.

May I have a few slightly off topic questions? I have just started my preparation for
DALF C1 (I plan to sit it in February). I have huge plans on working alone on my
grammar (it needs polishing), vocab (some gaps need filling), reading and listening
(that's quite no trouble). But I really could do with someone to go with me through the
spoken exercises similar to those at the exam and someone to correct my writing both in
terms of language mistakes and in terms of following the assignment. You've just
inspired me to consider the teachers at Italki or Myngle for that. Which one would you
recommend?

I am afraid the teachers at Italki may not have experience with the DALF requirements.
And the native public would surely help with the language mistakes but I doubt they
would largely comment on the form of my resume or compte rendu. But at Myngle, I can't
find the option "send a message to the teacher to tailor a course to your needs", I can
only find prepared courses (proud of focusing on all four skills), which may or may not
allow turning them into what I need. How flexible in this regard the teachers at Myngle
usually are? Is there a way to contact them to ask? I haven't found it so far.

Thanks a lot for advice.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 3 of 5
15 November 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
May I have a few slightly off topic questions? I have just started my
preparation for DALF C1 (I plan to sit it in February). I have huge plans on working
alone on my grammar (it needs polishing), vocab (some gaps need filling), reading and
listening (that's quite no trouble). But I really could do with someone to go with me
through the spoken exercises similar to those at the exam and someone to correct my
writing both in terms of language mistakes and in terms of following the assignment.
You've just inspired me to consider the teachers at Italki or Myngle for that. Which
one would you recommend?

I am afraid the teachers at Italki may not have experience with the DALF requirements.
And the native public would surely help with the language mistakes but I doubt they
would largely comment on the form of my resume or compte rendu. But at Myngle, I can't
find the option "send a message to the teacher to tailor a course to your needs", I can
only find prepared courses (proud of focusing on all four skills), which may or may not
allow turning them into what I need. How flexible in this regard the teachers at Myngle
usually are? Is there a way to contact them to ask? I haven't found it so far.

Thanks a lot for advice.

Myngle teachers tend to have more experience with standardized exams, though there is
probably a teacher like that somewhere on italki too. Anyway you can contact teachers
through http://www.myngle.com/german-teachers - just click on a name and
then on the "Write me" link at the top right - and ask them specifically if they have
experience and materials for preparing for this exam.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4768 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 5
16 November 2012 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Ah, didn't find it when I was looking for it! Thanks.

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5150 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 5 of 5
16 November 2012 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Thanks! I signed up for the challege and scheduled my first session tomorrow.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version