Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 1 of 15
15 November 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Hello everybody,

some of you know me, some of you don't, but here I am. After having seen and enjoyed many polyglot videos by Richard, Luca, Iversen, Fasulye, and others on YouTube, I decided to make an attempt at polyglottery myself. I'm a bit camera-shy, so I decided to make an audio and only add a photo of me. The seven languages that I speak in my video/audio are: German, English, French, Italian, Swedish, Icelandic, and Russian. At the end, I added two sentences in Scottish Gaelic.

Josquin's polyglot video

Please note that I'm not trying to compete with any of the accomplished hyperpolyglots. It's just humble me speaking the foreign languages that I know. Some of them are better, some of them worse. Especially Icelandic could be much better, but I tried my best. However, I would appreciate any constructive criticism and honest responses.

Please note the following corrections:

le base della lingua --> le basi della lingua
molte di opere --> molte opere
í síðasta árinu --> í fyrra
ég get lest --> ég get lesið
мне хотелось --> мне хотелось бы
slàn leat --> slàn leibh

Enjoy!

Edited by Josquin on 20 November 2012 at 2:11pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 15
16 November 2012 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Your English is excellent (!), it sounds quite English (like the UK variant), but I
find
that the prosody and intonation that you have is markedly carried over from German to
English - so whereas your phonemes are completely accurate, I can hear it's you
speaking
just because I recognise the way you phrase melody in English as being very similar to
how you do it in German. So that gives quite a funny effect.

You also have a very "stiff" way of speaking, with whole sentence structures (in any
language) sounding very "choppy". I can't comment on your ability in anything other
than
English really because your French is as good as (if not better) than mine and I don't
speak any of the other languages you know better than you do either, except Dutch, but
you didn't include that.

I did manage to make it to the end of the tape and I understand everything you said in
the languages we have in common. I guess it's because you speak very clearly (I speak
very slurred).

Edited by tarvos on 16 November 2012 at 4:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 15
16 November 2012 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
You have a German prosody in English but not as much in French and Italian (from what I could hear). I've already commented on your Swedish in the other thread (right?), but I'm sure there was a strange phrasing or two in this clip.... I have to listen again.

For one moment I was able to follow your Icelandic - maybe because you speak clearly and the lack of fluency makes you (want to) simplify your phrases, who knows.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 16 November 2012 at 7:50pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 15
16 November 2012 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
I indeed did catch some of the Icelandic too, even though I haven't actually studied
that.
1 person has voted this message useful

Roman
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5234 days ago

42 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French

Message 5 of 15
16 November 2012 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
I could follow you only in English and Italian, quite good! But I'm not native in any of
your languages...

You seemed to be reading a text, did you? If I'm correct, maybe it'll be better to just
try to talk without a script. What do you think?

If you were not reading, please discard my suggestion :)

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 6 of 15
16 November 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
To my Norwegian ear, your Swedish is very good, especially if you have never been to Sweden, as you say. I only noticed one or two obvious mistakes (but again, I am Norwegian, so do not claim to know Swedish as a native). I am sure you could get really excellent in Swedish if you had the chance to immerse in the language.

Your French and Italian are also good, but as tarvos says, it sounds a bit "stiff", and especially your pronunciation of Italian "betrays" your German background. The tone is rather flat, compared to native Italian speech. (Then again, as a non-native one should also take care not to exaggerate the "sining tone" of Italian.)

Finally, your Russian is better than mine, but to the extent I can comment on anything, I think you sometimes make the same mistakes as I do as regards vowel reduction, i.e. pronouncing unstressed vowels almost the same way as if they were stressed.

I also think that you speak very clearly, so except for Icelandic, which I don't speak at all, I could understand everything you say.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4838 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 7 of 15
16 November 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
I liked the video. There were several wrong stresses in Russian: нАчал (не начАл), мнОгие
(не многИе I heard нагие (naked) at first), нЕ был (не не бЫл, which you pronounce as не
бИл). In fact, ы is reduced to schwa here. I think that you should say Я хочу немного
поговорить по-русски or сказать что-нибудь по-русски, because you are speaking about the
concrete situation, not a general desire.

Edited by Марк on 17 November 2012 at 2:03pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 8 of 15
16 November 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Well, first of all, thank you very much for your positive responses! I was harbouring many doubts whether I should put such a video online, but thanks to you guys I can see it was a good thing to do. I'll try to answer your comments and suggestions one after the other, but I'm really happy everyone could understand me. I tried to enunciate as clearly as possible.

@tarvos: I'm glad you liked my English although my prosody was not native-like. An authentic prosody is arguably the hardest thing to achieve in language learning, if you have never been in a long-time immersion situation and you're not Richard Simcott or Luca Lampariello. After re-listening to my audio though, I think I could do much better in a real-life conversation than in this soliloquy ranting about my life.

Moreover, I was reading a prepared script (@Roman: Yes, you were right!), so that might have influenced my accent, too. I thought it was better to note down what I wanted to say, because I'm generally rather bad at holding improvised speeches, and I have never done that in my weaker languages. However, I'm thinking about recording a new video, in which I am going to speak more freely. Let's see if that works out.

I think this point directly correlates to sounding a bit "stiff" or "choppy", but I'm generally not the touchy-feely, outgoing type of guy, so this may be an aspect, too. Moreover, I don't really know how to change that, except that I could drink some beers before making the next recording, but that would bring us back to the question if drugs can enhance your capacities in foreign languages. ;) Anyway, if I should make a new recording, I'll try to relax more.

@Jeff: Thanks for your comment! Yes, you already gave me some advice on my Swedish. If you find any mistakes in this video, please let me know. I wasn't quite sure about the use of "ovillkorligen" myself. It's interesting that you and tarvos could follow some of my Icelandic, probably because my Icelandic pronunciation is not in the least native-like. I find spoken Icelandic to be nearly impenetrable, but that's another story.

@Ogrim: Thanks for your compliments! It's good to hear my Swedish doesn't sound completely off. I have very little contact to spoken Swedish, so I'm glad you liked it. The same goes for French and Italian. I learned those languages more than ten years ago and I have never really used them, so my passive understanding is much better than my speaking abilities.

@Марк: Thanks for your corrections! I'm glad you liked the video. Trying to stress Russian words correctly is a never-ending source of joy and entertainment for me, so sorry for butchering your language. And thanks for your suggestion on сказать; I wasn't sure about that one.

So, once again: Many thanks for your compliments and your criticism! It's really a good feeling to get such a feedback.

Edited by Josquin on 16 November 2012 at 11:03pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version