15 messages over 2 pages: 1
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 15
16 November 2012 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Well, Simcott got English for free of course, and though Luca speaks fantastic English I
can still hear that he is a little foreign. So I would say this is an achievement as it
is!
1 person has voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4660 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 10 of 15
16 November 2012 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
What I did in presentations in English classes, was to write down the beginning of each
paragraph of the manuscript and then just continue based on them. It was a nice way to
make sure I included everything I wanted to say.

Try it ;)

And your video was brilliant. I enjoyed the German and Swedish parts as I understood
those completely, even though my German is a bit ...ahem rusty.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 15
17 November 2012 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
@Jeff: Thanks for your comment! Yes, you already gave me some advice on my Swedish. If you find any mistakes in this video, please let me know. I wasn't quite sure about the use of "ovillkorligen" myself. It's interesting that you and tarvos could follow some of my Icelandic, probably because my Icelandic pronunciation is not in the least native-like. I find spoken Icelandic to be nearly impenetrable, but that's another story.

I hear "Jag har lärt mig svenska när jag var femton år gammal" as the typical German perfect tense, not totally wrong but any Swede would use simple past tense ("Jag lärde mig...").

"Det är en sådant vackert språk" - Gender disagreement: it should be "ett sådant vackert språk" (since "språk" is neuter).

"...och jag ville ovillkorligen känna detta språk" - choice of words - 'ovillkorligen' works but I have yet to hear one single person use it in colloquial speech...;unnatural usage - "känna" must be your German interefering again, we use that verb when you know persons, not skills (="kunna").

"...och den var det andra språket som jag lärde mig själv" - gender disagreement (det var det andra språket...)

"när jag var i den andra terminen" - unnatural usage;suggestion: "när jag läste den andra terminen"/"under den andra terminen"

"så att jag slutade svenska" - something is missing, maybe "slutade med svenska"/"slutade studera svenska"/"slutade läsa svenska"/even "hoppade av svenskan" (funnily enough, a definite ending sounds better in this last example).

"men jag vill gå dit" - åka dit/resa dit/ta mig dit ("gå" always means "walk")

"när jag har pengarna" - unnecessary definite ending: "när jag har pengar" works just fine.

Keep it up!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 12 of 15
17 November 2012 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Well, Simcott got English for free of course, and though Luca speaks fantastic English I can still hear that he is a little foreign. So I would say this is an achievement as it is!

Well, thank you! I surely appreciate this compliment, but I didn't specifically mean Luca's and Richard's English accents. I rather thought of their ability to imitate accents in general. Their German is amazing! They really sound like Germans, while the good professor, for example, has a tiny accent - although his German is excellent overall as well. I simply envy them a bit for that. I can imitate accents, too, but I don't think I'll ever fool anybody into believing I was a native speaker of a foreign language.

stifa wrote:
What I did in presentations in English classes, was to write down the beginning of each paragraph of the manuscript and then just continue based on them. It was a nice way to make sure I included everything I wanted to say.

Thanks for this suggestion! I'll certainly give it a try. By the way, I'm glad you liked the video!

@Jeff: Thank you very much for these corrections. It's those little things that slip into my speech without my noticing it. I think my Swedish simply suffers from my German and English (eine Sprache vs. ett språk, to go somewhere vs. åka någonstans, etc.) and I don't know enough idiomatic expressions. Maybe, I'll have the opportunity to brush up my Swedish in the future - when I'm done with Russian, ha ha!
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 13 of 15
17 November 2012 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
If any of you should be interested, I made a short comment on my multilingual video - this time without script and entirely in English. I kind of ramble a bit and there are many ehms and uhms, but this is the "real me" talking:

Short comment on the multilingual video

It's kind of fun making these videos, so maybe there are more to come when I have interesting topics to talk about. See you soon!

Edited by Josquin on 17 November 2012 at 6:14pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5634 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 15
19 November 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
Josquin, I listened to your first You Tube video and I enjoyed it because you have an excellent pronounciation in all of the languages. I can recognise that you are from Germany which is easy because I am from the same country. It's not that you have a strong accent. It's a well designed speech and I had my fun listening to this.

Good luck for your next video projects!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 20 November 2012 at 2:27pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 15 of 15
19 November 2012 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Fasulye, for your kind words!

It sort of takes some courage to go out there and speak your languages in public, but getting such a feedback is very helpful. It encourages me to go on and practise my languages more in the future. I haven't got any ideas for new videos yet, but if there's something new, I'll inform you in this thread.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version