Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6905 days ago

1152 posts - 1817 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 9 of 35
19 September 2006 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
I just watched and taped a repeat of the program. I was most impressed.

I want to get a copy of his book.
1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6627 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 10 of 35
19 September 2006 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Is this documentary available on DVD/VHS somewhere? I'd like to see it, but I have no idea when it is on. I didn't see any copies listed on his website, but at the time I was looking more at his blog than anywhere else.

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6443 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 11 of 35
19 September 2006 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
The two clips at the Wisconsin medical site are definitely very interesting. He hasn't posted much about language on his blog yet, but we could always ask him to. I find his interest in languages motivating, as if he can learn ten languages with his gifts, there isn't any reason why any one of us couldn't learn as much with ours.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 35
19 September 2006 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
lengua wrote:
if he can learn ten languages with his gifts, there isn't any reason why any one of us couldn't learn as much with ours.

Oh yes, one reason: most of us don't remember everything we hear (at least I don't)

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6443 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 13 of 35
19 September 2006 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
True - but most of us don't have the troubles he faces in his everyday life. What we lack in aptitude can be made up with effort.

For example, it might only take Tammert 100 hours to learn Icelandic. But the average motivated person could do it in 400 - perhaps half that. With the right materials and methods, all anyone needs is time and effort.

This summer, I would like to pick three random languages, and see how far I can get in each of them in ~100 hours before calling a native on Skype.

Edited by lengua on 19 September 2006 at 2:16pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 35
19 September 2006 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
It might be a fun experiment. Personally I have got a couple of old languages that need refreshing before I start experimenting with new ones.

By the way I have been doing a bit of work myself on Icelandic lately. It is not too hard to arrive at the stage where you can read sagas, but getting an active competence in the language is quite another matter: the morphology is twice as evil as that of the German language, and people up there have spent the last thousand years inventing bizarre idioms. I won't get 'basic' this year, but maybe intermediate.

And one thing more: I have seen the program with Tammert learning Icelandic twice now. I cannot judge how many errors he did, but it seemed to me that he didn't quite seem at ease speaking the language yet. But he could express himself well enough for the purpose of the interview, and I'm duly impressed.

Edited by Iversen on 19 September 2006 at 4:36pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 35
27 March 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
I found the article: "Ten Most Fascinating Savants in the World" on the Neatorama website.

Here is the link:

Article: 10 Most Fascinating Svants in the World

Also Daniel Tammet is presented here!

Fasulye

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5488 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 16 of 35
27 March 2012 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the list, Fasulye.

I've heard of some of the savants before, such as the brain damaged sculptor and the man who can do extrordinary calendar calculations after he got hit in the head.

Here's a video about Christopher Taylor , a British man with severe brain damage who knows several languages, who was also mentioned in "Babel no More."

Edit: Because it was mentioned, the first part of The Boy with the Incredible Brain

Edited by Michael K. on 27 March 2012 at 8:56pm

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version