Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
ohiotalk
United States
Joined 4200 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes

Message 1 of 10
15 November 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
I have not yet entered college, but I know that I want to further my passion for languages (Mostly Portuguese). I was thinking about getting a Bachelor's Degree, and majoring in Portuguese (or minor?) and getting out of college and maybe being a translator, or a Portuguese teacher (I'm really hoping Portuguese will be in demand due to the upcoming economy of Brazil) And then after a couple years of experience, I was hoping to go back to school and getting a MBA. Is this a good choice? Any advice for my major/minor? Also I would love to work in Brazil after getting my Bachelor's degree. All advice/info is welcome
1 person has voted this message useful

FireViN
Diglot
Brazil
missaoitaliano.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5010 days ago

196 posts - 292 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 10
16 November 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Well, regarding working in Brazil, my two cents:

The unemployment rate is low - 5.4% in September -, and even lower among people with better qualification. I believe this won't change in a near future. The brazilian economy is growing at a low rate, but at least it's growing. Possibly, in the future, it will rise at a good rate. That's what I wish, anyway.

I've met some foreigners this year that came from Spain, Portugal, Germany, and they're making good money. Brazilian companies (or international) tend to pay more for foreigners. I've met a few English teachers (from Canada, New Zealand) and they have a great life here.

I'm not sure about your minor/major (I don't actually know the distinction, by the way), but maybe you could major in something you enjoy and minor in Portuguese..?

ohiotalk
United States
Joined 4200 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes

Message 3 of 10
16 November 2012 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
Something I enjoy, hmm, I guess would like to enjoy teaching English in Brazil, or business. To be honest whatever major would get my head in the Brazilian door.

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4308 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 4 of 10
16 November 2012 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Degrees won't get you a job. University and college are not there for that (though they help of course). The main point of universities and colleges is to study things you're passionate about. Obviously for you that's Portuguese. If you want practical skills that will actually get you a job? You want to go to specialized schools, such as trade schools.

ohiotalk
United States
Joined 4200 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes

Message 5 of 10
17 November 2012 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
You bring up something interesting, but hmm how would I explore my passion for this language when I can't
find classes for Portuguese outside of big name universities ?

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 10
17 November 2012 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
Who needs a university to speak a language? You can explore your passion for Portuguese on your computer- courses, literature, films, tutors, native speakers, classes. It's all here, you don't have to have a university to learn a language and learn it well. We prove that every day here. The Brazilian Government offers a test of Portuguese for foreigners which can give you a piece of paper to document your qualification- the CELPE-Bras.

Edited by iguanamon on 17 November 2012 at 8:26am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 10
17 November 2012 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Agreed. You may have a frustrating experience if you study alongside people who don't love Portuguese as much as you do (for example because they speak Spanish and for them it's an easy choice).

As you don't have a clear preference for translating/teaching it's better to just get a degree that will teach you something apart from the language itself (which you can do as a minor or just on your own at a faster pace and with more pleasure). In fact, the fastest way for you to get to Brazil would be to take ESL-teaching classes. As an English teacher you'd be in demand even without a knowledge of Portuguese. Or you could try to find another job that requires only English.

A knowledge of a third language will give you an additional advantage. I'll be learning Swedish for this reason - I want to speak it better than many Finns do XD

ohiotalk
United States
Joined 4200 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes

Message 8 of 10
18 November 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Who needs a university to speak a language? You can explore your passion for Portuguese on your computer- courses, literature, films, tutors, native speakers, classes. It's all here, you don't have to have a university to learn a language and learn it well. We prove that every day here. The Brazilian Government offers a test of Portuguese for foreigners which can give you a piece of paper to document your qualification- the CELPE-Bras.
Lol this is true, just a year ago I orded a Dutch book just to get in touch with my family's roots and learn another language. HOWEVER, in this day and age, if you dont have a piece of paper that's worth about $30,000 + (a college diploma) it'll be extremely hard to get a job. Especially since there are millions of other kids in school right now getting degrees to do the job you are wanting to do.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version