str0be
Korea, South
Joined 5363 days ago

103 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, Korean

Message 97 of 107
10 March 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Iversen, do you mean you did an Economics degree?

Also, I think you meant 'computing' rather than 'computering'.

(Don't take it personally; I'm an English teacher ;) )
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 98 of 107
10 March 2010 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Long time no see (with reference to this thread).

I know the word "computing". "Computering" in my mind is a slightly derogatory version of the word, and the rationale behind this is not modesty, but the simple fact that I never have studied computer science or programming in a systematical way. I didn't check the word before writing it, but it gets 51.600 hits on Google. And I can celebrate my 25 years jubilee in my job next year, so apparently I don't have to take it seriously.

While I was unemployed in the early eighties I followed a crash course in economics, meant to give me the first two years of HD ("Handelshøjskolernes Diplomuddannelse") in one year. It is normally a four years deal, which when completed ranks just below a full university exam in economics. And it was very enjoyable - I was quite good at mathematics back then.

After that I continued on the ordinary slow course for one year and got to the point where I just needed to write the final dissertation, which might have taken about six months - and then I got a job (not my present one).

Mai pen rai. I have survived without that exam, but it would have been fun to have it.

Edited by Iversen on 10 March 2010 at 9:41pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 99 of 107
10 March 2010 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
HD ("Handelshøjskolernes Diplomuddannelse")

Iversen, I am not familiar with the Danish system. Was this a

University of Applied Sciences

= Fachhochschule (in Germany)

= HBO / Hoger Beroepsonderwijs (in the Netherlands)?

Fasulye

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 100 of 107
11 March 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
The system has been changed since my economics course. Back then the "Handelshøjskole" (Handelshochschule") was like a business university that offered education on a level on a par with that of a university - just with shorter courses. A HD exam should normally take 4 years, while my cand.mag degree (candidatus magistris)from the university was supposed to take 4 + 2 = 6 years (actually I spent some more time there). It was actually also possible to take language oriented educations at the Handelshøjskole, but I didn't do that - just economics.

Since then the two institutions have coalesced, and language studies have been reduced in both places.

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5098 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 101 of 107
18 April 2010 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Not to bump this post (though its only been 1 month).

But I would like to say you're one of the best members on the board. :)

Great intro btw.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 102 of 107
19 April 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Thanks

Luk
Triglot
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 5094 days ago

91 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian, German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 103 of 107
07 May 2010 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
Regarding the world list method, I don't understand why you need to fold the paper.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 104 of 107
07 May 2010 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
You don't have to fold the paper, but when you have to manage a dictionary or another source plus the paper it is easier to do so with a folded sheet. I often work in an armchair with everything on a tray, or I work sitting with my keyboard in front of me. In both cases I need to save space.

Besides I have a quite small handwriting so there will be a lot of information even on a halfsheet. For those who have a large handwriting it may be better not to fold the sheet.

Edited by Iversen on 07 May 2010 at 12:41pm

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version