United States
Joined 4210 days ago

130 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 7
26 November 2012 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Hello all,
I currently am trying to learn Serbo-Croatian. However, my motivation for the language is
about gone, and I find myself not even wanting to pick up my books, but however picking
up the books of the other languages I want to learn. Although, there is another language
I want to study, but don't know if I should drop Serbo-Croatian, due to lack of
motivation, and not knowing that if it will come back or not.

Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5774 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 2 of 7
26 November 2012 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Take a break. A short break won't do your studies any harm, and may actually be beneficial. You'll have your answer if your motivation returns or not within a few weeks.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6374 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 3 of 7
26 November 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
As soon as I feel my motivation waning, when it's no longer fun to study, I stop and do something else. Sometimes it's another language, sometimes I stop langage learning completely for a long time. I always end up coming back to it and enjoying it so much more. Life's too short to spend your time doing boring stuff.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4431 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 4 of 7
26 November 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Totally agree with g-bod and Ari. I am studying Russian and lately my motivation comes and goes. There have been days where I was unable to pick up my study material or even listen to a single line of Russian on my mp3, I felt totally demotivated. Then, three days later, the motivation returned and I would try to find as much time as possible to study and engage otherwise with the language (music, TV programmes etc). So rather than forcing yourself to study if you don't feel like it, you should take a break.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6389 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 7
26 November 2012 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
It might be a good idea to set a specific date for getting back to it. Makes it more likely that you'll get back to it. For example, take a break till the end of the year, and then see if you want to try again. Don't feel guilty if you don't, but do try:)

Also, try some new methods. I LOVE the Croatian lessons at GLOSS, for example. They have Serbian too if you prefer/focus on this variety.

Nguyen
Vietnam
Joined 4885 days ago

109 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese

Message 6 of 7
26 November 2012 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Don't take it to serious unless you have a serious reason. Take a break but use what you have accomplished. It is amazing what our own curiosity will take us to. You have likely gone far and we compete with ourselves.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bbcatcher 08
Diglot
United States
Joined 4210 days ago

130 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian

Message 7 of 7
26 November 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Thanks all for the suggestions. I think a little break will do the trick. I think to kind
of keep myself somewhat interested, I will keep studying it. Probably at most twice a
week, with the average just once a week.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version