13 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 13
01 December 2012 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Using tons of resources can be a waste of money, but if it's the right level (and the quality is decent), it won't be a waste of time.

As you're about halfway done with Assimil, you're supposed to be able to translate the basic lessons. Are you? If you are, there's no problem, no reason to do what you don't want to do. That's the whole point of Assimil. You may also want to read the explanations of the cases in the various books you have, and then to do the exercises.

Many people aren't where you are after 4 YEARS, especially if they have to study German at school and lack the motivation. Don't worry about that!

Have you heard of Deutsche Welle? Their resources are fantastic. More modern and more enjoyable than most stuff on your list. And free:)

Also, techniques are more important than the resources you use. See this: http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Techniques especially shadowing and scriptorium.

If the grammar is your main problem, there's no need to wait before you start using native materials. Give them a try! At the very least, listen to music in German (discover it here http://lyricstraining.com - a very addictive resource).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5506 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 10 of 13
01 December 2012 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Have you heard of Deutsche Welle? Their resources are fantastic. More modern and more enjoyable than most stuff on your list. And free:)

I can't find it now, but I read a list somewhere (containing many of the materials, I used) that rated Deutsche Welle the best learning resource for any language on the internet (if I remember correctly). And they're free. I've never actually used it myself (I don't think).

If I were you I'd stick with what you have (the Assimils) and you could allow yourself to sample the forbidden fruits one day every other week (at the library and never at the expense of your mainstays).
1 person has voted this message useful

Bobb328
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4379 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 11 of 13
01 December 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
I've listened to the first, maybe, 25 lessons so many times I have them memorized so I'm not really TRYING to
translate the English, I just know what the next word is because I can practically recite it. Not sure if this is good or
bad.

Bobb328
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4379 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 12 of 13
01 December 2012 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
I've look at Deutsche Welle and it looks great! But there are so many courses I don't know which one to use...

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6241 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 13 of 13
03 December 2012 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Using tons of resources can be a waste of money, but if it's the right level (and the quality is decent), it won't be a waste of time.

What the lady said.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version