Joined 4996 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 57 of 70
20 January 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Quique wrote:

Reading: I began the book we used in primary school, the well known Le petit Nicolas[...

The book is rather battered (nowadays I'm much more careful with my books), and the first half is full of
annotations I made back then. It's made up of 19 short stories, each about 8 pages long, including pictures.

I read the first three stories. They are funny and charming, and every page has a couple of new, useful words.

Isn't it wonderful?   I have a couple of posts on it, if you're interested (and haven't already seen them):

Youthbooks thread. And, of course, Anthea
Bell, who did the the Asterix translations mentioned in EMK's log, also translated Le Petit Nicolas.

(PM me if you'd like the link to the free audio recording of your book. )

1 person has voted this message useful

Quique
Diglot
Spain
cronopios.net/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4469 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, German

Message 58 of 70
20 January 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
Isn't it wonderful?   I have a couple of posts on it, if you're interested (and haven't already seen them):

Youthbooks thread. And, of course, Anthea Bell, who did the the Asterix translations mentioned in EMK's log, also translated Le Petit Nicolas.

Yes, I had seen this thread (I even posted a bit before you). There are some interesting suggestions and links, such as that site with 3000+ free audiobooks.

songlines wrote:
(PM me if you'd like the link to the free audio recording of your book. )

Oh, I didn't know it was available as an audiobook! I found it no time :)

The actor speaks fast! I can follow him if I read the text at the same time; tomorrow I'll listen to the next story, without reading it first, and see how much I get to understand...

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4996 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 70
21 January 2013 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
Quique wrote:
Yes, I had seen this thread (I even posted a bit before you).

Yes, I'd noticed that, and hesitated to mention it. - But sometimes people don't necessarily continue reading
threads they've posted in, so I thought I'd go ahead just in case.

Quique wrote:

Oh, I didn't know it was available as an audiobook! I found it no time :)

The actor speaks fast! I can follow him if I read the text at the same time; tomorrow I'll listen to the next story,
without reading it first, and see how much I get to understand...

Hmm. Perhaps you've found a different version...? Mine has a female reader, for the sections I've tried. Though
she speaks quite quickly too.   Or there may be more than one reader...? - I haven't heard the whole book.

Quique
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4469 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 

Message 60 of 70
22 January 2013 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
Yes, I'd noticed that, and hesitated to mention it. - But sometimes people don't necessarily continue reading threads they've posted in, so I thought I'd go ahead just in case.

Yep, and maybe somebody reading this log didn't read that thread.

songlines wrote:
Quique wrote:
The actor speaks fast! I can follow him if I read the text at the same time; tomorrow I'll listen to the next story,
without reading it first, and see how much I get to understand...

Hmm. Perhaps you've found a different version...? Mine has a female reader, for the sections I've tried. Though she speaks quite quickly too.   Or there may be more than one reader...? - I haven't heard the whole book.

No, you're right. I thought it was a male voice with some effect/filter to make it sound childish, but it's actually read by an actress, Brigitte Lecordier.

She speaks fast, but extremely clearly. I listened three chapters I had not yet read, and I could understand quite a lot (80% or so), enough to follow the story. After reading them, I listened the recordings again, and I was then able to understand much more, perhaps 95%. Many of the chunks I didn't understand the first time contained words that I didn't know.

I'm very happy at how my aural comprehension seems to be improving (on December I had difficulties in understanding the 1st lesson of Linguaphone, which is rather simple).

The next chapter is the last one I worked with as a teen. As such, it's full of annotations. Afterwards, I'll have to use the dictionary much more often.

Some new words:

J'ai eu du mal à decider Rex à lâcher le coussin du fauteuil, et encore, il en a gardé un bout dans les dents.

J'ai bien envie de porter plainte.

J'ai pris les sous qu'il y avait dans ma tirelire et il y en avait beaucoup, heureusement, parce que, par hasard, maman m'a donné de l'argent hier.

Tu as de la veine que j'aie des fleurs, je lui ai dit, sinon, tu recevrais une gifle.

Il s'entraîne pour le Tour de France qu'il fera quand il sera grand.

Dans la rue, nous marchions pas vite, en traînant les pieds.

Il me dirait que lui était toujours le premier de sa classe et que son papa à lui était très fier de mon papa à moi et qu'il ramenait de l'école des tas de tableaux d'honneur et de croix et qu'il aimerait me les montrer, mais qu'il les a perdus dans le déménagement quand il s'est marié.

Après, papa me dirait qu'il se saignait aux quatre veines pour me donner une éducation soignée et pour que je sois armé pour la vie et que moi j'étais un ingrat et que je ne souffrais même pas de la peine que je faisais à mes pauvres parents et pour ce qui est du cinéma, on attendra le prochain carnet.

The 7th chapter, Djodjo, contains a reference to the Assimil method:
Quote:
Après, on a su qu'Agnan lui avait raconté des choses sur son tailleur qui était riche et sur le jardin de son oncle qui était plus grand que le chapeau de sa tante. Il est fou, Agnan!

Assimil: I did lesson 49 (revision), and took dictation from #19. I didn't understand daube de boeuf and misspelled février, mars, and absolument.

I've finished the first half of the passive wave of NFWE!!! That means tomorrow I'll start the active wave... I'm quite proud of reaching this milestone, and I think keeping this log is a huge help to stay focused.

Lesson #49 contains instructions for the active wave:
Quote:
After listening to the French text again and reading through it aloud, cover it up and try to reproduce it from the translation opposite. Check through afterwards.

This is much easier than what I thought (merely translating), because the French text will be in my short term memory, probably including words that I would not remember otherwise.
Well, this is a with ease/without toil method, and so far is working, so I hope this simple exercise will be useful to activate my French anyway.

Edited by Quique on 22 January 2013 at 6:19pm

Quique
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4469 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 

Message 61 of 70
23 January 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Assimil: I did lesson 50, took dictation from #20, and did lesson 1 from NFWE (active wave!). This first active lesson went perfectly smooth.

A new word:
J'ai emprunté celui de Michel, mais il n'a pas marché.

Les Schtroumpfs: I read the 2nd album, Le Schtroumpfissime, which also includes «Schtroumpfonie en ut».

Le petit Nicolas: I listened and read two more chapters. Afterwards, I also watched their versions in the série télévisée d'animation: Louisette and On a répété pour le ministre.
I don't understand half of these cartoons, but I'm sure that if I keep watching them, in a couple of months I will understand most of it.

Some new words:

Nicolas, emmène Louisette dans ta chambre et montre-lui tes beaux jouets.
Je l'avais rasé à moitié seulement, parce que le rasoir de papa n'avait pas tenu le coup.
«Oh, oui madame!» a dit Louisette avec des yeux tout ouverts et puis elle a fait bouger ses paupières très vite.
Mais Louisette m'a dit qu'elle s'en moquait de mes fleurs et qu'elles étaient minables.
Là, elle m'a fait rire, Louisette, et puis, elle a pris de l'élan et, boum! un shoot terrible!
Le directeur a dit à Alceste que ce n'était pas la peine de faire des grimaces pareilles pour faire semblant de chanter.
On pourrat les habiller en bleu, blanc et rouge, ou alors, ce qui se fait parfois, on leur met un nœud dans les cheveux, c'est du meilleur effet.
On nous avait mis dans la buanderie.

There is also this:
Quote:
Eux, ils en étaient au jour de gloire qui est arrivé et nous, nous en étions déjà au deuxième étendard sanglant qui est levé

Fortunately French without Toil included a recording of La Marseilleise a few lessons ago :-)

fezmond
Groupie
Korea, South
Joined 4713 days ago

72 posts - 78 votes 
Studies: Korean, French

Message 62 of 70
24 January 2013 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
I read the first page of a Schtroumpf comic today, it wasn't too bad except for the word
Schtroumpf being in nearly every sentence. Drives me crazy

Quique
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4469 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 

Message 63 of 70
24 January 2013 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
fezmond wrote:
I read the first page of a Schtroumpf comic today, it wasn't too bad except for the word Schtroumpf being in nearly every sentence. Drives me crazy

:D
Take it as a little game to activate your vocab:
every time you see the word `schtroumpf', think of the French word (noun, adjective or verb in its proper form) that should be there :-)

Assimil: I did lesson 51. Lesson 21 is a revision unit, so no dictation today. I also did lesson 2 from NFWE (active wave).

Some new words:
Vous n'aurez pas le temps de vous ennuyer.
Ce grand bâtiment doit être l'Hôtel de Ville.
Quelle dure journée! Je suis épuisé!

Asterix: I read the 2nd album, Astérix et la serpe d'or, in which he visits Lutèce (Paris) for the first time.

Le petit Nicolas: I listened and read one more chapter, Je fume. Unfortunately there is no animated version of this one; probably it was deemed inappropriate :-(

fezmond
Groupie
Korea, South
Joined 4713 days ago

72 posts - 78 votes 
Studies: Korean, French

Message 64 of 70
25 January 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
When I was transcribing the comic into Google Translate I was happy to see that
schtroumpf changes to smurf.

How much of that and Asterix do you understand without needing a dictionary? I'm a week
behind you in Assimil but I'm assuming that my comprehension is way lower than yours.

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version