Kadin.Goldberg
United States
Joined 4193 days ago

30 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Swedish

Message 1 of 5
30 November 2012 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
I tried a search, I hope I didn't miss something.

I am just wondering if anyone knows of a good source for anki decks in Italian. I
started making my own deck and realize it was going to take a reeeeally long time just to
get the deck set up. It would be a tremendous help if I could just input a deck that
someone else has already created. I am looking for the most commonly used words... with
pictures if possible.

Anyone?

Thanks!!
Kadin
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4890 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 5
30 November 2012 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
You could try Anki itself. There's an option to download shared decks, and there are
plenty of Italian decks out there.

You could also try quizlet.com, and import some of their decks.

I gotta say though, I'm of the opinion that the best and most useful decks are the ones
you create for yourself. Only you know what you need to work on, whether it's
vocabulary, grammar, idioms, whatever.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 30 November 2012 at 2:42am

2 persons have voted this message useful

pingvin10
Groupie
Hungary
Joined 6038 days ago

68 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*
Studies: English, German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 3 of 5
30 November 2012 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Try this, Kadin.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4642 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 4 of 5
30 November 2012 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
On the shared decks list there is one called "601 Italian verbs" which is a good one, though it's only one-way for passive recognition.

Another option is an old PDF of common words: With a quick glance through them, they seem normal and up to date enough even though I'm sure there are dated ones in there since this is an old document. You could go through and type the words you don't know well into Anki, though that would take a while.

Word list

An Italian speaker on this forum, Emma, posted a link to a frequency list available online which would be easy to parse into a CSV file and put into Anki directly and is also bigger than the link above.

Her thread in English:
English

Her thread in Italian (if you want to try reading it):
Italian

With all of these you will have plenty of words to review. Buona fortuna!

Edited by Hendrek on 30 November 2012 at 5:16pm

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4689 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 5 of 5
30 November 2012 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Although I've used a few decks downloaded straight from Anki (just the public decks,
for me), I find they're nowhere near as effective as the one's I've made myself. Very
rarely do I try to put a few thousand cards in at once, instead I maybe start with a
relatively short list, and from there add new cards as they come in.

Or else, I'm currently in an Italian class at a university, which means there's usually
about a hundred new words per chapter, which takes us two or three weeks to get
through. I didn't add all of the words in the book at once, just chapter by chapter, so
instead of adding a thousand words, I just had to do a hundred at a time, and that
doesn't take nearly as long to put into Anki.

I would suggest a similar set-up. Instead of worrying about getting a whole wordlist in
there, just go category by category, or otherwise break it up into smaller pieces. It's
not like you'll probably want to review them all the first day anyway. Just remember
that if you're using Anki on multiple devices (like I am) not to get your synching
mixed up, or else you might lose some progress (or some flashcards!).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version