Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC 2013 Organization and Sign-up

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
902 messages over 113 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 59 ... 112 113 Next >>
FireViN
Diglot
Brazil
missaoitaliano.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4989 days ago

196 posts - 292 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 465 of 902
16 December 2012 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Oh crap, now I REALLY want to join the Turkish team, but I'm not sure I can commit to that ):
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 466 of 902
16 December 2012 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
There's plenty of room. As far as committment goes, I hold the reins of leadership loosely and would much rather study languages than prod members. The only requirement is that you study Turkish (or a Turkic language ;-)) but whether you do that every day, every Friday after lunch, every two weeks, is not my business.

You still have some time to decide.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4986 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 467 of 902
16 December 2012 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
...exchanging PMs with one of our guardian angels, I was starting to wonder if we should clarify how learners could interact with them
[...]
I can see a few approaches, and I'm requesting comments to sort it out as best we can before things start officially.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I think Chung's suggestions seem very sensible. It would not be feasible
[...]
not come across that particular issue yet, but I agree that it is nice for everyone to know what it reasonable to expect and not.

Brun Ugle wrote:
Regarding the role of Guardian Angel/Godparent, I think this has to be up to the individual to decide how they will handle their role. It is already very common
[...]I think it is probably still best to post the question in the relevant sub-forum.

I think agreeing to be a godparent means promising to have a look at or skim the logs of your godchildren at least now and then and give a bit of advice, but not necessarily to answer every little question all the time or
[...]
It was mrwarper who came up with the concept, so he might like to define it further or perhaps disagree with me entirely.

Well noted, guys.

@BrunUgle, I'm ashamed to say that just before getting back to this thread I scrapped a half-written message that I was to post at your log -- I was praising you so much as level-headed and sensible that it felt like sucking up to you :)

All what you three have said makes perfect sense so I'll try to explain my intended take on this without repeating too much stuff.

First, the whole idea behind this was to use the social part of the forum (as a loner, I tend to suck at social aspects of things) to help language learning (something I've sucked at as well for other reasons), but on second thought I think this will tie the both 'opposite' approaches so many people seem to take on language learning ('learn languages to interact with people' and 'interact with people to learn languages'), making both approaches intertwine and --hopefully-- reinforce each other for everyone involved (and maybe even make some people veer towards less polarized stands). In perhaps more simple words: 'practice being social' -> 'get better at it and do it more' -> 'end up practicing language(s)' -> 'get better at it and do it more', which in turn is again that 'social' thing I started with.

As with every relationship, I think most of it should be left up to both parties involved alone, but as a general rule of thumb about when to address your godparents and godchildren, I'd give one I strive to apply all the time: be as helpful as you can, demand as little help as you can, and work up from there ('negotiate communication', in pedagogical neospeak). Regarding where and how to do it, well, try to answer one simple (common sense?) question: to whom is <whatever> relevant*? If it's just you and your godparent/child, keep it private. If you think it might be beneficial for whatever readers you have, post it in your log. If you feel all team members and followers should know about it, that's what team logs should be for. If it may be relevant for anyone out there and you don't necessarily need/expect your godchild/parent to be a part of that discussion in particular, leave them alone and post in a regular subforum thread just like God intended ;)

*By 'relevant' I mean one or more of the following: interesting, useful, funny...

Just remember that any when/how/wheres are prone to mistakes and errors from both sides, and be ready to cope with that in positive ways. I think it is quite reasonable to start assuming that everyone here (unlike in real life) starts out in good faith so, if you do, we all should end up with more and better friends.

OK, just a tiny flaky bit remaining: No matter how hard I may want to help people in the Romance team help with their French, I cannot do it, for my French fringes the non-existent. Teams studying multiple languages probably need more than one godparent. Also, I don't think godparents need to be restricted to helping one team if there's more than one studying their language, nor be restricted to one language if they're good enough in more.

And a couple of more 'personal' details:
-God knows I am no angel, but neither do I have something against being called one. Godfather sounds cool too, but for some reason being called a 'godmother' kind of bothers me. Brun, would you mind fixing that here? Thank you...
-I can manage American Spanish as well, unless we discuss a very specific thing related to non-Mexican and non-Argentinian varieties. Of course that doesn't mean I want to take precedence over other native speakers' -- the less you leave up to me, the more I can do somewhere else :)

Edited by mrwarper on 16 December 2012 at 5:52am

Flargus
Diglot
United States
Joined 4148 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian, English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 468 of 902
16 December 2012 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Hm, Hopefully I'm doing this right, but I'd like to join Team 鶴. So if I'm in the wrong spot, just show me what to
do.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6380 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 469 of 902
16 December 2012 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
Update

BloodyChinese:
Added to Asian team

Flargus:
Added to Asian team
Yes, you are in the right spot to sign-up. Now you can go to the Asian team thread and introduce yourself there.

mrwarper:
I was rather shocked myself to find that I’d called you a godmother. I had to read what you wrote twice and I thought, “Surely I didn’t do that?!” But then I looked, and there it was, “godmother.” I’ve changed it to godfather. But I was absolutely positive that that was what I wrote in the first place. There must have been some elves here in the middle of the night changing it while I was sleeping.

I haven’t checked my log yet, but thank you for your half-written scrapped message. I’m sure it was very nice. It’s the thought that counts :)

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5553 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 470 of 902
16 December 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I would like to join Second Romance Team also.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 471 of 902
16 December 2012 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Limiting to 15 members? ugh:S Sorry but has anyone speaking of having to read too many logs (on ONE team) actually had problems with that? in TAC 2012 my team had exactly 15 members and three didn't even START logs! 15 is unnecessarily little even for the beginning.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 472 of 902
16 December 2012 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Limiting to 15 members? ugh:S Sorry but has anyone speaking of having to read too
many logs (on ONE team) actually had problems with that? in TAC 2012 my team had exactly 15 members
and three didn't even START logs! 15 is unnecessarily little even for the beginning.

I think it is an extremely sensible limit. If 5 more people join the second team, you can just add them to the
first team. I think 20 is what has been set as a maximum for a team. 15 is the limit for when you start a
second team. If 12 or 15 more join, you do not have to go through the messy operation of taking people off a
team they have already been accepted to.

Last year when we had no organiser I had to turn people away from the Russian team, which was very
unpleasant, and no one wanted to start a new team with just three members. I am really happy that Brun
Ugle has come up with such a sensible solution and is willing to take that unpleasantness away from the
teams and on her shoulders.

Besides, a lot of people are on two or even three teams, and keeping up with between 45 or 60 logs
(according to whether there are 15 or 20 on the team) is a full time job. I have seen already this year how
difficult it has been to read logs from non-team members, because I was so busy reading the logs of my team
mates.

As we all know, lots of people never make it past March, and then teams can be merged, but I thought Brun
Ugles model was brilliant, in fact I am sorry I did not come up with it myself :-)

This discussion contains 902 messages over 113 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version