Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC 2013 Organization and Sign-up

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
902 messages over 113 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 112 113 Next >>
Chung
Diglot
Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 65 of 902
05 December 2012 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
If there's enough interest, I'm OK with continuing Team *jäŋe / *ledús since I expect to stay the course by and large when it comes to my target languages in 2013.

As I noted earlier I'm also up for joining any team that has a core of learners focusing on any of my target languages (Finnish, especially :-)). A Turkish team would also be of interest since there's a rising likelihood of my beginning studies of that language in the new year.

Considering my target languages, I've started to think about a team for people studying Uralic and/or Altaic languages. Finnish, Hungarian and (probably) Turkish would be covered with potential forays into Azeri, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Northern Saami and Uzbek. Instead of martial or macho names like "Magyar Gárda" (Hungarian Guard) or "Bozkurtlar" (Grey Wolves) which are associated with nationalism in Hungary and Turkey respectively and incorporate the idea of Uralic and Altaic social unity in their ideology, how about Team "Black Swans"? There's the contrast of swans being non-predators compared to wolves, the whooper swan being the national bird of Finland, black swans being associated with outliers (a bit like learners of less common languages such as Estonian or Azeri?), and the faint satire of black swans not even found natively in Eurasia (they're from Australia).
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4468 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 66 of 902
05 December 2012 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
I'm hearing some low rumblings about a French/Romance team which may or may not march into Russia, and I'd be
interested in participating.

Primary languages: French, Italian (I may only be doing Italian for the first half of the year)
Secondary language: German

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 67 of 902
05 December 2012 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Luna Moonsilver wrote:
. And if there's a spot on the Russian
team, I'd love to take it :). Team Sputnik has been super-motivational this year and I
really want to make some headway on this language :D!

You are most welcome on the Russian team!

Teango has also said he wants to join us, and there is yet another person who has indicated his interest in
the new thread I created for the TAC 2013 Russian team, which brings us to a potential 10 members just in
the first 24 hours after opening this thread. Wow! It looks like the Russian team will really rock this year.

If there is anyone else interested in joining let us know as soon as possible.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 05 December 2012 at 9:01am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5627 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 902
05 December 2012 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
I will do the individual TAC again for TAC 2013 with my target language Danish. I have been doing the TAC since 2009 and I am looking forward to the next year.

Fasulye

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6400 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 69 of 902
05 December 2012 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
TENTATIVE GROUPS
I hadn’t planned to make even a tentative list until the weekend, but this thread has been exploding and everyone is so excited and impatient that I thought I’d better just do it right away. Remember people, these are tentative groupings, and so far include only up to post 68, so if you’ve signed up after that, your name won’t be on here. At the rate things are going there will probably be 100 more people joining before we are through, so everything can change. In other words, PLEASE DON’T GO NUTS about it. It’s only TENTATIVE. However, if your name is missing or in the wrong category all together, speak up. If you are uncertain about whether you want to be on a team or not, feel free to leave your name there and decide later. It’s only the second day of sign-ups and everything is likely to change by the end of the year anyway.

Some of these groups, like the Russian one, have enough members already that there is no question they will have a team. Others are rather small and might be thrown together. I haven’t really decided a minimum size and if two people want to have a team all by themselves, I will accommodate them. As far as a maximum size goes, I think when it gets up to around 20, it will be difficult to keep track of everyone’s logs (you are supposed to read your teammates logs and help each other out). On the other hand, since about 3/4 are likely to drop out, a team of 20 may quickly end up with only 5 members.

Where it isn’t obvious, I’ve also listed the languages that “qualify” a person for the team I’ve put them on. And I’ve tried to go with everyone’s wishes as much as possible.

RUSSIAN There is no question that you will have your own team, and it will be a strong one since so many of the members have survived 2012 and have proven their staying power. The only question is if we can keep it down to a reasonable size.
tarvos, SolfridCristin, tecktight, fabriciocarraro, Aloysius, Expugnator, mrwarper, Luna Moonsilver, Teango

I think there can be separate teams for Japanese and Asian since both usually attract a lot of members and some of those who’ve signed up so far have already proven their staying power, but if they both end up with only a few members (unlikely) they might be better off put together as one team. (Don’t get mad; it’s only a slim possibility.)
Japanese
Brun_Ugle, stifa, g-bod, mrwarper, Ziloh
Asian
druckfehler (Korean, Mandarin), yuhakko (Japanese, Korean, Mandarin), Luna Moonsilver (Mandarin, Korean)

Here are two that have already gathered several members, but unless they double in size, might be better off combining. (tarvos: I know you want to be on the Russian team, but you also expressed an interest in a whole bunch of other teams, so you might want to consider which you really want to be on, but there is plenty of time to decide since some of them might be combined into one team anyway.) (Expugnator: You didn’t say anything about wanting to be on a Scandinavian team, but I thought you might like it and a Georgian team looks unlikely so far since you would be the only member. But if you can drum up some more members, we might manage a Georgian team after all.)
Germanic
songlines (German), stifa (German), mrwarper (German), Dagane (German, Dutch)
Scandinavian
tarvos? (Swedish), yuhakko (Norwegian), Gosiak (Norwegian), Travis.H (Norwegian), Expugnator? (Norwegian)

I think these two teams will both find enough members to be separate teams. (Dagane: You mentioned a Galician team and that is highly unlikely to happen, but you can be on the Romance team if you want. I’m sure they would be glad to have you, especially since your native language is Spanish.) Most of you Slavic/Romance people have only mention Slavic/Romance and not specific languages, so that’s why your parentheses are empty. It’s no big deal though. As long as I get you on the right teams, it doesn’t matter.
Romance
songlines (Italian), Amerykana (Spanish, Latin), GeoffW (French, Italian), Spanky (French), FireVin (Italian), Travis.H (French), Dagane? (Galician)
Slavic/Romance
Serpent (), JohannaNYC (Croatian), Amerykana (), Chung ()

And here are some potential teams that almost certainly will get put together as one team in the “other” or “less commonly studied languages” category unless they can find some more members, especially since there are several members that only expressed a vague interest and who are on other teams already.
Middle East
druckfehler (Persian), JohannaNYC (Arabic), Travis.H (Arabic), tarvos? (Hebrew)
Celtic
liammcg (Gaelic, Irish), tarvos? (Breton), Gosiak (Welsh)
Georgian
Expugnator

Individual TAC
Fasulye (Danish)

If your team is small and you are afraid it won’t exist, go find some people who are studying your language, hijack their logs and entice/cajole/threaten them into joining you :-)

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4384 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 70 of 902
05 December 2012 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Brun, can you put me down for the Romance team also? I'll be taking French. Thanks

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6400 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 71 of 902
05 December 2012 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
liammcg wrote:
Brun, can you put me down for the Romance team also? I'll be taking French. Thanks

OK. It will be corrected in the next edition.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5336 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 72 of 902
05 December 2012 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
You can count me in for the Russian Team next year! I had fun exploring strange new languages, as well as seeking out group activities and building new friendships in Team Sputnik in 2012. I look forward to breaking through more frontiers with fellow linguanauts and newcomers in 2013, and for us all to boldly go where no TAC has gone before. :)

Although Russian is my core TAC language, I hope to study 10 languages altogther if I can: Russian, German, French, Spanish, Irish, Hawaiian, Pidgin (Hawaiian English Creole), Latin, Japanese, and Ancient Egyptian.

And let me join others in thanking Brun Ugle for getting the ball rolling here...you're doing a great job so far, and I'm already counting down the days to next year's challenge!

This discussion contains 902 messages over 113 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version