Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6275 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 1 of 2
04 December 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I woke up lying across 3 economy class seats in the back of a 737-800. Through the loud engine noise I heard samba in headphones. It felt unpleasant, and I quickly understood why: I have been in Rio de Janeiro before flying, rode ônibus, changed bus in a terminal, saw tons of garbage and a sea of favelas. After a week in Curitiba, RJ was a shock. But suddenly I felt a great relief: I'm in a bright green plane flying Novosibirsk, so when I get off, I won't need to think hard and speak Portuguese.

It was really hard. Fluent Spanish and Italian help little in Portuguese. I learned a lot those days, could say simple phrases like "isso", "ta bom" or "não entendi", and could ask what I needed in a normal language. But when they replied I think even with subtitles I'd not get it completely. This was tiresome.

Nevertheless, Curitiba is a nice place, and the people never get angry, are very polite, but unlike what I saw in Europe, Brazilians do real things to help you: can take you in a car where you need, share wifi or make a phone call for you. I wasn't in any trouble, but sure they'd give the last piece of food to help someone.

4 persons have voted this message useful

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 2
04 December 2012 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
I felt many of the same things in my recent trip to japan... though working with americans everyday [and a new
zealander] I left the English environment behind several times, causing me to think carefully about what Im trying to
say, and it did become tiresome... however, just like in a workout, you become stronger only after you cause
yourself to be sore for a while.

this kind of makes me wonder how hard it must have been for my grandfather, and other people in the same
situation, who move to a foreign country and dont have the option to return to where their native language is
spoken... it must be incredible for languages learning [because he spoke perfect English by the time I knew him] but
Im sure that must have been an exhausting experience

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version