Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

MrW TAC’13 Schnitzel/Mir/Sakura(de/ru/ja)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
53 messages over 7 pages: 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>
Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5477 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 53
03 January 2013 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
Good luck mrwarper! :D You're studying languages which I hope some day to speak, I follow
your log with interest.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5023 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 53
03 January 2013 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Good morning (or whatever!), Morgen, おはようございます, Доброе завтра* everyone :)

I'm sorry I could not reply before, especially to those early-rising people who were posting here hours after the new year had come -- I must confess I'm not into heavy partying anymore, so I went to bed like at 00:30 to have the energy to spend the next whole day with my family. Then I was under a major migraine attack throughout most of yesterday, so I've been able to post maybe 5 messages in 2013 so far...

I hadn't even subscribed to everyone's log yet (I'm just finished with that) and I had ~50 notifications of different thread updates here, so I started today wondering what I had let myself into, for indeed some people have a 10+ pages long log that was started on January 1st! I really hope not everyone will make me wade through 10 pages of stuff (50 x 10? Ugh!) so I actually have time to study, join Skype sessions, ask you for help, help you out, etc., etc. After some checking turns out it's seemingly (and fortunately!) not the general case, but it's still an awful lot of stuff to keep up with, so I hope you'll all excuse me if it still takes me a while to drop by and say hello in your logs.

For all who have done precisely that here so far, tarvos, Jack, riff, zecchino, Dagane, ancpem, Expugnator, wort, fabricio, Kerrie, toffeeliz -- thanks a lot. I wish you a happy new year too, and luck with your studies -- may you be so lucky you don't even need any luck at all! ;)

* I know it's "Доброе утро" -- утро/завтра translate to the same Spanish word so it's kind of a running joke with my Russian buddies...

Edited by mrwarper on 03 January 2013 at 12:32pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6417 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 19 of 53
03 January 2013 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
Hopefully by the end of the year I might be capable of understanding half of your joke. And if Cristina convinces me to learn Russian next year, I might eventually be able to understand the other half.

This migraine/headache thing seems to be going around. Cristina had one too. I don't have a migraine, but I've had a bad headache and I don't feel so well. Maybe I caught it from one of you. Computer virus perhaps? :D

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5023 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 20 of 53
03 January 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Yep, a really contagious one that makes you spend a couple of days with people you don't see the rest of the year, and then the headache comes as a necessary side effect :D

Edit: Jokes don't have to be too intelligent to be funny, most of the time half the job is just being there. Imagine somebody greeting you with 'good tomorrow' instead of 'morning'. May sound just stupid to people with headaches ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 03 January 2013 at 6:11pm

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6037 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 21 of 53
04 January 2013 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Buenas mañanas mrwarper!

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on theory and practice, and the paradox of the active user was unknown to
me, but well worth considering from all sorts of perspectives.

Don't think I'll have any time for Japanese this year but I'll gladly follow you along on your German and Russian
explorations. And maybe I'll read a novel in Spanish in your honor. It does happen once a year or so, though I make
no claims on actually speaking Spanish.

Be brave and try your luck in Germany! After all, doesn't a lot of Germans move to Spain (zum Mindesten die
Rentner)?

//aloysius

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 22 of 53
04 January 2013 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
And if Cristina convinces me to learn Russian next year, I might eventually be able to understand the other half.
:D

Why wait until next year, when we have a new shiny year ahead of us :-)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5192 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 23 of 53
04 January 2013 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
I hadn't even subscribed to everyone's log yet (I'm just finished with that) and I had ~50 notifications of different thread updates here, so I started today wondering what I had let myself into, for indeed some people have a 10+ pages long log that was started on January 1st! I really hope not everyone will make me wade through 10 pages of stuff (50 x 10? Ugh!) so I actually have time to study, join Skype sessions, ask you for help, help you out, etc., etc. After some checking turns out it's seemingly (and fortunately!) not the general case, but it's still an awful lot of stuff to keep up with, so I hope you'll all excuse me if it still takes me a while to drop by and say hello in your logs.

I would suggest filtering all your HTLAL mail to go into its own email folder. When you get to it, you can sort by subject, and it's a lot easier to "get through" a lot of it that way. :)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6417 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 24 of 53
04 January 2013 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
How does my iPhone fit into this "paradox of the active user?" It doesn't come even with a manual, and the one on the internet doesn't tell me much of anything. I still haven't figured out why iTunes tells me it can't find things which are sitting right there. They're there in the iTunes library and I can play them in iTunes, I just can't put them on my iPhone.

Cristina:
I will start dabbling after a while. You're welcome to do anything you want to influence me. I think Russian is probably one of the languages they have materials for at the library, so it probably won't take too much coaxing.

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version