21 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
SiHH
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4315 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes

Message 9 of 21
15 December 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Ha ha.

I wont give up - things are starting to 'click' now, and I am enjoying it :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4315 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 21
02 January 2013 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
@SiHH- Hey I have spent over a $1,000 on Spanish language materials over the years. I
started accumulating them hear and there. I've bought Pisleur's Spanish levels 1-3 and
plenty of other books and stuff. I'd have to say though that as of recent I have made
some huge strides in my Spanish. I studied fairly well (on my own) from 2003-2007. In
2007 due to some personal problems I quit studying Spanish for 5 years.

My ability to use verbs were horrible! And my ability to understand was minimal at
best. I attended the Spanish/Latino ministry at my church for around 4 years and I was
only understanding around 30% of the messages (even after attending for 4 years).

Well in 2012 I made the decision to take another stab at Spanish. Recently I started
studying SEE IT & SAY IT IN Spanish by Margarita Madrigal and that helped me out A TON
on proper verb usage. I bought the Magic Key to Spanish by Madrigal too. It is next
on my study list.

I started attending the Spanish services at my church again. About 2 months ago I
bought the Spanish New Testament in mp3 format. It was the dramatized version of the
RV1960. I missed Spanish church for about a month due to work and my 3 kids taking
turns getting sick during the weekends. Well, during that month of church I missed I
was listening to each chapter at least 5 times before moving onto the next. I was also
reading aloud each chapter at least once and other times following along with the
reading.

The New Testament recordings had various native speakers with different accents and it
also had some classical music in the background. After one month of doing this when I
returned to church my comprehension was around 75%-80%! I couldn't believe it.
Listening to the New Testament and using Madrigal's books "unlocked" some Spanish I had
tangled up in my head! I started watching some of my movies with Spanish subtitles and
Spanish audio. I understood well over half of the movie. I estimate between 60-70%.

I believe that there is something to the music theory that Susanna Zaraysky has spoken
about in her book and youtube videos. Here book is titled, "LANGUAGE IS MUSIC".

I find the relationship to recall and memories to be interesting. I can hear a song
from the 80s or 90s and it can bring me back in time like it was only yesterday. When
listening to music the brain is reported to be stimulated in many more areas. I'm
definitely not a music guy.   Out of the nearly 80+ hours of material on my iPod zero
minutes of it is music.

Maybe consider trying the dramatized New Testament and buy Margarita Madrigal's SEE IT
& SAY IT IN Spanish and MADRIGAL'S MAGIC KEY TO Spanish.

!Buena Suerte!      
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5058 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 11 of 21
02 January 2013 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
If anyone wants the New Testament in Spanish, or a gazillion other languages- many quite rare and uncommon, for free download in MP3 format, it is offered for free (and legal) by Faith Comes by Hearing audio download. It is a huge file, around 500mb, available in either dramatized or non-dramatized versions. It's also available as a free ap for android and iphone/ipad with text. Bible.is Apps

Edited by iguanamon on 02 January 2013 at 1:44pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4315 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 21
02 January 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
If anyone wants the New Testament in Spanish, or a gazillion other
languages- many quite rare and uncommon, for free download in MP3 format, it is offered
for free (and legal) by Faith Comes by Hearing
audio download
. It is a huge file, around 500mb, available in either dramatized or
non-dramatized versions. It's also available as a free ap for android and iphone/ipad
with text. Bible.is Apps

Some representatives from "Faith Comes By Hearing" came to my church's mission conference
a few months back. I meant to post those links too! Thank you for posting them. I'll
keep those links more readily available. They have some really good stuff available.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 13 of 21
03 January 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I think your methods are perfect, SiHH: simple and effective. I would only suggest adding some listening practice to the mix. Maybe once you've finished with Paul Noble you could do some listening in your car.

First of all, you can use the Assimil CD's for listening practice. I listen to my Assimil CD's quite a bit outside of the "official" lesson time: I both listen ahead and review quite a bit. When I listen ahead, I am working on my skills of getting the gist of things without knowing all the words. When I review I am consolidating my previous gains. Both make the Assimil course more effective.

Besides that, find something at more native speed to listen to. The Bible suggestions above should be useful. Besides that there must be news or other native podcasts you could listen to. Even if you don't understand much of what you hear at first, keep listening to get used to the natural rhythm of the language, and develop that skill of figuring out the gist of things even when you don't understand all of it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

SiHH
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4315 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes

Message 14 of 21
05 January 2013 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your recent comments, I have only just read them having not been on the forum for a while.

Things are going well I think. I have just completed Paul Noble's course and really enjoyed it. I wish he did
a follow on from it!

With regards to Assimil, I must say that at times I love it, and at times I hate it. The method I use and
borrowed from this forum means I need to repeat 'whole' sentances after listening to the Spanish and
english a couple of times. I dont know if i am doing anything wrong but I simply am really struggling to
recall the sentances now... It was easy at first, but I am on lesson 29 now and I have noticed the last few
lessons that I am struggling with it.

- Do I need to recall whole sentances, or are parts of it ok (breaking it down)?
- I understand this method helps to 'think' in Spanish, but is it a must? It is the one bit of the lesson which
i dread now, and am not enjoying it because i know i will struggle to recall everything.

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 15 of 21
05 January 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
If something is making you "dread" your lessons, then drop it. It might be a useful thing, but if it takes away the enjoyment of learning, then it will ultimately kill your motivation.
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5058 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 16 of 21
05 January 2013 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Assimil is not the "begin all and end all" of language learning. Not every method is appropriate for everyone. Just because Assimil is highly recommended on this forum doesn't mean everyone will have the same results. I've somehow managed to learn two languages, and am working on my third, without Assimil, Anki or Michael Thomas.

What works for me are multiple tracks. Jeffers has given great advice. Yes, you should be listening ahead and reading ahead of what you already know. Listening and reading is a good way to learn the skill of getting the gist, and then learning new vocabulary. Learn a word once and you may remember it for a short time. See it in a newspaper article again and it will begin to stick. Hear it again in a song and read it in a story and it's yours!

Multiple tracks doesn't mean endless hours of study. It just means that you devote some time each day to exploration of what's out there. There are so many resources fro Spanish available. FSI Spanish Courses developed by the US State Department and available for free; DLI Spanish Courses developed by the US Defense Department and available for free; Destinos Spanish Video Course originally produced for US Public Television over 20 years ago- the videos are all on youtube if you are geo-restricted- the books can be found in pdf format too. The list goes on and on and on.

One of the reasons that Harry Potter and The Bible are popular with language learners is that they are (or, in the case of the Bible- used to be) well known. So it gives you a bit of a head start because you already know the story. Do you know the Grimm Brothers' Fairytales (or been to the Panto)? Here's a link to Cuentos de hadas- Grimm's Fairytales- Audiobook with e-text available for free from librivox.org. A bit of searching will find English translations of the stories for you- though they won't be word for word.

Read the English story. Listen to and read the Spanish story. At the same time you are doing some sort of structured learning. You learn a word or a phrase. You see it in the story. The next day you are listening to the news on Democracy Now- Spanish and simultaneously reading the transcript and you see it and hear it again- it's yours! Democracy Now is not slow Spanish, it's fast, very fast. Even though you won't understand 5% at first, in a few months you will understand a lot more- the gist. In a few more months you'll understand most of what you here- if you persist with your other tracks. The podcast will only take about 10-12 minutes of your time. To listen and read, the best way is to click on the first headline and open the "escuche" button in the next tab. At first it will seem like a waste of time- "I don't understand anything"! Keep at it and you will understand more and more as you work with whatever you choose to study. One day read some, the next day listen and read, check out some video, etc. Switch it up. Find some music you like. Lyrics Training is a fun way to learn some new vocabulary and expressions. Keep it interesting. I'd go nuts if I was dependent solely on Assimil, or even in conjunction with Michael Thomas/PaulNoble. Many people, by no means all, in the current Assimil challenge are starting to find that to be true as well.

If Assimil isn't doing it for you, drop it like a wet fish and find something that will help you to learn the language. You can do this, SiHH! Make it happen!

Edited by iguanamon on 05 January 2013 at 2:51pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version