kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4979 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 106 of 137
01 September 2013 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Nice results on the N4. I am gonna check mine for comparison when I get home. An A on the reading really
impresses me since I found that section really a pain in the butt.
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 107 of 137
02 September 2013 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
An A on the reading really impresses me since I found that section
really a pain in the butt.

I'd noticed with N5 that my reading was very slow, so I certainly tried to find more
material to read when leading up to N4. Even something as simple as the last exercise
in the later chapters of Minna no Nihongo was enough to boost my reading speed.
Obviously I still can't read "real" Japanese at any kind of speed (I still need
furigana and an electronic dictionary) but I've certainly sped up my reading of the
kind of things that seem to crop up on N4. It also helped that I'd got a reasonably
solid grounding of the vocabulary. As I recall there were only one or two words in the
whole test that I didn't recognise; that meant I had a lot more time available to worry
about the grammar.

Certainly before I go anywhere near N3 I want to make sure that I have enough
vocabulary sorted to feel that the reading should be within my grasp. I assume that
there will be more grammar and that the listening will be harder too, but I'm trying to
work on those more systematically now.

I think I'll probably try to make time to tackle Harry Potter 1 soon. I expect that it
will be a long hard slog at least for the first few chapters, but it would be good to
try to work through it.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 108 of 137
05 September 2013 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
I'm pressing on with the N3 vocabulary. The section titles have word counts in them ,
for example 1756 - 1770. Towards the end these (manually generated?) section titles
seem to be slightly off. By my count there are 1815 individual words (and the same
number of corresponding kanji). I've now planted 1740, so with a slight push tomorrow
I'll have everything planted (not counting the kanji). That's been at the cost of not
watering over the last few days, leaving 600 plants wilting as of now. By tomorrow
that's likely to be ~900 or so. But that's OK as a few days of steady watering should
get through those in a week at most.

So far I've managed to stick to the plan. RTK has been kept up to date and is pretty
quick. I've concentrated on the planting for memrise. Anki has been ignored for now.
That means I've had time to work through some grammar and 3 lessons of intensive
listening.

Hopefully once I get memrise under control I'll have time to get my Anki decks
reviewed. Any excess time beyond that will go into more listening or more reading,
depending on what seems more necessary at the time.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 109 of 137
27 September 2013 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm tempted by a Kindle for £49 (a special offer it says in the email from Amazon).

It's this specific one:
Quote:

Amazon's 6" E Ink Pearl display with optimized font technology, 167 ppi, 16-level grey
scale

User-available storage is ~1.25GiB. 600MiB would cover all the JPOD101 intermediate and
advanced PDFs (in fact, the actual requirement would be less than that since many of
the lessons are available in both embedded and non-embedded formats).

It would be quite convenient to have access to PDFs whilst sitting in front of the TV,
for example. In addition, it seemingly sports a browser, so I could make my electronic
notes available to myself that way too.

The downside seems to be that acquiring content via amazon.jp is somewhere between
"difficult" and "impossible". Seems appropriate for a device that I intend to use to
help me with my Japanese :-)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 110 of 137
02 October 2013 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
Time to review my September goals.

1. I'll continue with audio.I'll not set any goals other than to
actually do as much listening as possible and to not waste any occasions.
Done.

2. RTK: I'll keep this up to date.
Done.

3. Memrise. My aims are to have the whole course planted and watered by the end of the
month.
Done, with time to spare.

4. I'll make grammar notes (and study them!).
Done (well, MNN II that is). I've been revising as I go along but now I'll
go over things on a more regular basis.

5. Every other day I'll work on shadowing and learning a JPOD101 Lower Intermediate
lesson. I;ll start with season 1 and work through in order. I'll make sure that all the
new vocabulary and suitable sentences have been entered into Anki as part of this
exercise.
Done. I've shadowed 15 lessons as expected, but I've processed all 55
lessons and added vocabulary and sentences to Anki. I've also started to produce dialog
tracks for the first 30-something lessons(for some reason they were never available on
the website).

6. Anki: if any time is left over, I'll go through the various Anki decks I'm using.
I've been keeping bits of Anki going, although I expect that now I'll
have more time.

So I've managed to meet or exceed all my goals for September. I'll sit down and produce
some goals for October sometime tomorrow or Thursday.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 111 of 137
02 November 2013 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
I've just noticed that my spreadsheet says I've clocked up 2100+ hours so far (over
nearly two years).

I've been doing some intensive listening of various lower intermediate audio lessons
and I think it's beginning to make a difference. I can certainly follow more of the 40
or so dialogues that I've listened to attentively and repeatedly than I can for the
ones that I haven't.

I've finished making notes on the みんなの日本語初級 books. I want to finish working
through All About Particles too, although I'll skip the particles I've not yet seen, at
least for
now.

I've dipped my toe into the memrise N2 course but I'm concentrating on the N3 course
for now. I've pushed a little with Anki to get through all the vocabulary for the
JPOD101 lessons that I'm trying to study intensively.

I've also logged all the kanji vocabulary in A Homestay in Japan: I've still got two
weeks before I go through this book with my tutor so hopefully I'll be able to
internalise a good chunk of that between now and then.

2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 112 of 137
07 November 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
I never did post any goals for October, so there's no review pending. Here are some
goals for November.

1. For the audio I'm now listening to just dialogue tracks. I'll probably go back to
lessons at some point, but pure dialogues seems to be quite useful at the moment.

2. RTK: I'll keep this up to date. At some point I need to consider working though the
last 1000 kanji but at the moment hardly unknown kanji are cropping up.

3. Memrise. I have the whole N3 vocab course planted. I need to get the kanji vocab
planted too. I think I'll aim to plant 50/week on average. So the target here will be
200 by the end of November. I have also started the N2 vocabulary course but I'm not
going to set any targets here.

4. I'll study the notes I've made on the Minna no Nihongo chapters. This will be useful
basic revision but I don't want to take too much time over it. There are 50 lessons,
the earlier ones obviously being much more basic. I'll aim to have revised everything
by the end of November.

5. Every day I'll work on shadowing one JPOD101 Lower Intermediate
lesson. I only have about 5 more from season 1 to finish. There are 26 lessons in
season 2, so with a bit of effort, I should be able to finish season 2 by the end of
November.

6. I'll keep Anki up to date but I'll also aim to cover 600 new vocab words by the end
of November. As I'll be continuously adding new vocab each day anyway I'm not sure how
to track this. I'll probably set the deck to not present any new vocabulary and then I
can use Custom Study to learn a set number each time. I'll track that in my
spreadsheet.

Memrise & Anki reviews together are taking no more than 45m each day.
Shadowing a lesson takes about 15m.

So if I still have 14 hours per week of non-commute studying, then shadowing plus
keeping vocabulary up to date will take about 8 hours. Another 2 hours for the lesson
plus lesson preparation, leaves me 4 hours for everything else. So that's about 30 mins
per day for both the grammar work and the additional vocabulary. That's tight but not
entirely unrealistic.

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version