Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
42 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4772 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 42
09 December 2012 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
How come that Guaraní is not on your language list?

It is... in brackets, because I'm not really fluent in it. Check my profile ;-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 42
09 December 2012 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
It's kinda sad how there's no Finnish in the video btw.... :(

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 42
09 December 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It was especially awesome to see Iversen and Sprachprofi!

tarvos wrote:
When I saw Iversen in the video, I thought "now there's something I don't see every day".

It would have been totally unexpected even for myself if I had been singing, but I didn't - I just spoke in a rhythm I had memorized. How that can be awesome and rarely seen is beyond me. I'm more worried about the missing "να" of the imperative in the first line the Greek text.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 42
09 December 2012 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I have just sent Benny a translation into Danish of the song (or for my part, recitation). Of course I had to use the English translations on the screen for many of the languages, but it was nevertheless a useful and entertaining exercise - and in every respect a truly multilingual experience. And the video has also had one unforeseen effect: I have had more subscriptions to my own Youtube channel since yesterday than I have had for several months. Apparently this song has hit the language adoring community as a bombshell.

Thanks a lot, Iversen! I love watching Benny's video of "Skype Me Maybe" and reading the Esperanto subtitles and I will be VERY HAPPY, as soon as I can read Danish subtitles as well. I also got many new subscriptions to my You Tube channel since "Skype Me Maybe" is online. Unfortunately, I cannot hear what you and Sprachprofi are saying because it's a mixture of both of you speaking at the same time, but my guess is that you speak Modern Greek in the video and Sprachprofi speaks Latin.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 09 December 2012 at 7:00am

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6363 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 29 of 42
09 December 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Don't have much to say, except: good job! Love the song. Kinda makes me want to go on YouTube.
3 persons have voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5414 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 30 of 42
09 December 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Great stuff! I've just implemented your Danish subtitles.

Others have sent me the files such that now you can watch the video with English,
Arabic, Portuguese, Polish, German, Swiss German, Danish, Norwegian, Esperanto,
Russian, Ukrainian and Spanish subtitles, by clicking Youtube's subtitles button.

If anyone else would like to help us expand on this, I'd be happy to add in ANY
LANGUAGE YOU LIKE. As this is just a simple case of uploading them to Youtube. This can
be useful both for learners to try to follow along in their L2, and of course for
natives of many countries who would otherwise not be able to follow what the song means
without useful subtitles to their own languages.

This way rather than say "it's sad that language X isn't a part of it" we can actually
continue to add as many languages as you like to the video (at least visually).

To help with this, simply download
this text file
and translate it (from English), making sure you don't change the layout or format of
the file as it is already prepped for Youtube's caption settings. Then send it to me at
benny [AT] irishpolyglot [DOT] com and I'll implement it. Thanks! :)

Edited by irishpolyglot on 09 December 2012 at 2:14pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 42
09 December 2012 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Benny, thanks a lot for posting the text file of "Skype Me Maybe" in English, which allows other people from this forum and elsewhere to translate it in other languages for the subtitles. I am not the translator type of person, but I am an enthousiast watcher of the video by reading the subtitles in my foreign languages. So people will do me and others a fsvour, when they provide tranlations.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 09 December 2012 at 4:39pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 32 of 42
10 December 2012 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
It's an awesome project, beautifully put together by Benny, and I'm happy to have
contributed a couple lines.

Fasulye wrote:
Unfortunately, I cannot hear what you and Sprachprofi are saying because
it's a mixture of both of you speaking at the same time, but my guess is that you speak
Modern Greek in the video and Sprachprofi speaks Latin.

Actually we both speak Modern Greek and Latin. We tried to time it to be synchronous, but
that's really difficult. Benny's video has the foreign-language captions as well, so you
can read the lyrics of the song in all languages.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version